Chocolate addiction...

Options
2»

Replies

• kayla554
    kayla554 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with a little chocolate everday lol? As long as you're not overdoing it. Miranda Kerr (Victoria secret model) says have a peice of chocolate, just not the whole bar, life is about indulging a little.
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hey! You're a believer! So am I, and I'm currently working through the book, "Made to Crave" by Lysa Terkeurst...try and get your hands on a copy. You were made to crave...GOD and him in your life. I'm finding (cause sweets are a difficult point for me to) if I can redirect my attention to how BIG God is and the BEAUTY he has in store for me and my health, the sweets have less and less a hold on my life, and I'm finding it's easier not to be fixated on wanting that piece of chocolate so badly!! Don't play the pity party for yourself - be EMPOWERED to make healthy and God glorifying choices in your food!!

Love in Christ, Deanna
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hey! You're a believer! So am I, and I'm currently working through the book, "Made to Crave" by Lysa Terkeurst...try and get your hands on a copy. You were made to crave...GOD and him in your life. I'm finding (cause sweets are a difficult point for me to) if I can redirect my attention to how BIG God is and the BEAUTY he has in store for me and my health, the sweets have less and less a hold on my life, and I'm finding it's easier not to be fixated on wanting that piece of chocolate so badly!! Don't play the pity party for yourself - be EMPOWERED to make healthy and God glorifying choices in your food!!

Love in Christ, Deanna

Just to point out..not everyone is the same religion.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Switch to low sugar/ sugar free dark chocolate instead of sugary rubbish, then don't worry - cocoa is packed with minerals and antioxidants. If you cannot do that you don't have a chocolate addiction it's the sugar/ fat combination, in which case review your diet and consider your triggers.

When do the cravings begin, what happens in the hour or three prior to that - are you bored, blood sugar dropping, tired, stressed, depressed, skipping a meal, eat a badly balanced meal (all carbs/ low fat/ low protein)? Where are you seeing the chocolate, how are you getting the chocolate?

I eat relatively healthy... Mostly at night after dinner is when I want chocolate... And it's in my house because my husband is a junk food junky and as much as we try we always have some in the house. I think if we didn't I'd probably still go buy it. As for bored I dont have time to be bored! Stressed not at night.

Get a good quality cocoa, and mix two tablespoons of it with milk or water for a drinking chocolate. Add a little of your sweetener of choice. Some cinnamon or chilli is good too.
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Love in Christ, Deanna

But I read her profile, and we believe in the same God, so that's why I spoke to her about our shared faith. Was absolutely not trying to push anything on you :)
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    When I was trying to bring my blood glucose level down, I started switching to dark chocolate. I never liked it growing up, but I knew I needed to stop eating Reese's, Kit Kats, Mounds, etc. on a fairly regular basis because I could never stop at one piece, I had to keep having more and more.

I started by eating dark chocolate chips with walnuts -- the chips were about 50% dark. I slowly worked my way up to 60% dark chips. Eventually, I started trying Ghiradelli's 72% dark twilight delight chocolates...sometimes I have it with some Smart Balance popcorn and it really brings out the chocolatey taste. That's my go-to for chocolate cravings now.

A single piece is only 55 calories and 3g of sugar, and once I'd worked my way to that point, I found it was very satisfying to just have that one piece without grabbing for more and more like with milk chocolate. And I get some health benefits of eating dark chocolate! (Personally, I've tried to work my way up to darker chocolates, but I haven't managed it yet, I'm happy with the 72%.)

That's not to say that I never have milk chocolate, it's just that it's easier to pass by it at the food store and not be tempted to buy it like I used to.
  • Beachtreasures
    Beachtreasures Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    True recovered chocoholic!

Honestly before I started MFP I would eat one to three chocolate bars a day; I was completely out of control. Not only out of control eating chocolate, but hiding it as well -- closet binges, Once I put my mind to eating healthy I started MFP and cut out chocolate except for the occasional piece of dark chocolate (70-80% dark) . I have one square and I am satisfied. I sopped cold turkey and have absolutely NO uncontrollable chocolate cravings.

Good luck!
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options

Love in Christ, Deanna

I'm usually right there with you, but it looks like Deanna was replying to the OP - ChubbyChristianChick - with a way she's working on overcoming her cravings with techniques found in a book based in their mutual faith.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options

Love in Christ, Deanna

Yes, we know there's heathens out there...:drinker:
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options

Love in Christ, Deanna

Yes, we know there's heathens out there...:drinker:

Did you say heath bars? Too much toffie, but you can suck the chocolate off a heathen, and at least that part is good.
  • chubbychristianchick
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try the dark chocolate switch and see how that works out. Also as for the book made to crave read it 3 times :) lol
    Thank you all so much for responding!