I want to burn 1000+ calories/workout

Options
Hey PALS!
I work a 9-5 job and I don't have hours and hours to work out each day. However, I'm trying to stay consistent while I'm in this mode of being excited about working out everyday. I don't do gyms and I try to get a good burn but only getting about 150-200 calories on a typical day and 450-500 on a great day. How are you folks getting great 1000+ calorie burns, sans the gym without working out for 4 hours? Some of my goals are legs, thighs, abs. Any and all feedback is welcomed.
Thank you!

Replies

• notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    How many calories you burn also depends on how heavy you are and how fit you are. I know myself at 74 kg I burn around 200 on a 3.5 km walk up and down little hills. I only can fit in 30 mins most days and just do has much as I can. I am working on going a little faster with my walks.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you are a 20 yr old 300 lb man it's easy to get 1,000 calorie burn. If you're a smaller, older woman it's hours of hard work.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I did Body Combat the other day and my HRM said I had a 800+ calorie burn for the 60 minute class
    And just to add, I am 39 years old and am in very good cardio condition
  • ScreenGem
    ScreenGem Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Good feedback gals. I know its reaching but I just wish someone had a prescription (of sorts). Guess that's damn near impossible since the body is so unpredictable.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Try Zumba :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Run 10 miles.
  • rnash1
    rnash1 Posts: 8
    Options
    Easy, run...a lot. I ran 7.5 miles this morning, took about an hour & 10 minutes, burned 1,133 calories. Ta-da!
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    60-90 min run will get you there depending on your size.
  • pienthesky32
    pienthesky32 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I completely agree w/ Lucy....Zumba and really get into it! I'm a bigger gal, but I burn 800 plus calories an hour.
  • turboturtlepower
    Options
    HIIT workout is your friend. TurboFire. You'll scorch calories even when you aren't working out. Not as many as you'd like to, but a pretty good amount for not having a super high HR.
  • Santerre1984
    Santerre1984 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bikram or Hot Yoga...it a 90 minute class but can burn anywhere from 600-1200 calories depending on how much you weigh.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    7.5 mile run does it for me.
  • christieodette
    Options
    zumba will do the trick and its fun al at same time
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I tend to burn around 100 calories a mile....the most i have burnt was 600 on the treadmill changing up the inclines and speeds for 45 minutes.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn depends on two things - intensity and weight. As someone else pointed out, the heavier you are, the more calories you burn. If you are smaller, you would have to do high intensity to burn more.
    Keep that in mind when comparing calorie burns with others.
    For me I need to run over an hour at a 9minute mile to burn 1000 calories.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Here is a chart that gives you an estimate based on body weight and time for different exercises.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Hey PALS!
    I work a 9-5 job and I don't have hours and hours to work out each day. However, I'm trying to stay consistent while I'm in this mode of being excited about working out everyday. I don't do gyms and I try to get a good burn but only getting about 150-200 calories on a typical day and 450-500 on a great day. How are you folks getting great 1000+ calorie burns, sans the gym without working out for 4 hours? Some of my goals are legs, thighs, abs. Any and all feedback is welcomed.
    Thank you!
    It takes me about 60 minutes of jogging with a 5 minute walking warm up and 10-15 minute (walking also) cooldown to burn about 800 cals. I weigh just under 150lbs. I think you'll have to find something that will keep your pulse up in the upper range of your max. for your age, especially if you're going by time spent exercising.
  • amielu
    amielu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    easy peasy - Bikram yoga!
  • katnord
    katnord Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half marathon, my 12 mile long runs burn over 1,300 calories, but it takes almost two hours, and I only do that once a week.
  • StencilChild
    StencilChild Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm 31 years old, 6'2, and 260lbs. I do alot of intense calisthenics...situps, pushups, jumping jacks, squats, lunges...I keep my heart rate at ~75% my max, and go through about 900 calories an hour...maintaining the heart rate is the crucial part. If your HR is only at 100bpm...you won't be burning much.