Nutrition advice for an unhealthy friend

Options
Steph_135
Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
Hi everyone. A friend of a friend is eating very little some days (like a banana, soda, and chocolate), and fears gaining weight. He wants to workout to keep his slender figure, and I am wondering if anyone knows of any good online resources about health and fitness that might serve to educate him about what this horrible pattern is doing to his body, skin, and overall health. Thanks.

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    That sounds potentially eating disorder territory, best thing is the advice of a medical professional and the knowledge and support of family and close friends, not trying to self treat.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Before you start trying to have the 'eating disorder' discussion, how long has this been going on, and is it a constant thing, or just occasional weirdness? A friend of mine has the same kind of thing, but it only seems to happen about once every two or three months, and last a couple of weeks, then it's over and done with for another few months.
  • Steph_135
    Options
    Thanks, I expected these types of responses. Right now it's more about convincing him that this isn't the way it should be, so he realizes that it's not normal to be eating this little, and what under eating is doing to him.
  • biddy249
    biddy249 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Working out is only half of the equation, the most important part is the diet and what you eat. Help your friend learn the proper way to eat and the foods he should be consuming. It's not hard to do you just need a good plan and some knowledge. I myself had one part of the equations wrong for many years and once I learned to create a balance it all came together.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    You may have misunderstood where I was going with my comment. So many people are quick to jump on 'eating disorder' for relatively mild, short term under-eating. If that's not the case, but you bring that up, you may slam shut your window of opportunity. Is he the kind of person who responds well to numerical facts? If so, find some BMR calculator or chart and show that to him. Here's a pretty simple one: http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bmr.php

If he's not, there are a plethora of articles around about under-eating and the problems it can cause. Here's one example: http://www.eating-disorders.org.uk/effects_of_under-eating.html
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I expected these types of responses. Right now it's more about convincing him that this isn't the way it should be, so he realizes that it's not normal to be eating this little, and what under eating is doing to him.

You got that response from me not only because of the highly restrictive eating pattern alongside exercise but because you used language like 'fears'. I don't see how any mentally healthy adult can not know it's not normal or healthy to eat like that. If there is definitely no eating disorder I'd point him in the direction of the healthy eating guidelines (food groups and number of servings) plus information on different minerals, vitamins, essential fatty acids and protein and ask him to explain how he intends to supply his body with these ESSENTIAL macro and micro nutrients sans calories.

This series of factsheets is good
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/HealthInformation/nutrientrecommendations.sec.aspx
  • clynn84
    clynn84 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    maybe introduce him to this website? let him look at other peoples food diaries and have him set up his profile to maintain his current weight so he can start tracking what he eats.. honestly that is how I learned how to eat better and what i should be putting into my body daily. And a friend/family member introduced me to this website and I love it!
  • Steph_135
    Options
    Thank you all for your helpful and thoughtful replies. :flowerforyou: I will pass on all of this information and hope it is well heard.