Weighing Meat

Options
jlhill7
jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
Should you weigh meat cooked or uncooked?

Replies

• orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    bump
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I believe the calories are for raw unless otherwise stated.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I weigh all my meat after cooking. What ever you choose, do it the same way all the time.
  • fusion777
    fusion777 Posts: 197
    Options
    I was taught uncooked.
  • alvin0012
    alvin0012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Weigh them cooked.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Uncooked would make sense, given that the weight of the meat in the package is uncooked, and that's what the serving sizes are based off of. I never realized this until weighing out an entire five pound package of ground beef before and after cooking. Yeah...pretty significant difference there.
  • riboid
    riboid Posts: 31
    Options
    Ive been toying with weighing my food but is this not bordering on obsessive?
    Correct me if I am wrong - if its right, Ill do it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Weighing your food is about the only way you are really going to know how much you are eating. You have no idea how many people I have seen claim 'this doesn't work, that doesn't work' and suddenly start dropping weight once they buy a food scale.
  • I weigh everything raw except if I buy it cooked (like a BBQ chook)
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options

Weighing your food is about the only way you are really going to know how much you are eating. You have no idea how many people I have seen claim 'this doesn't work, that doesn't work' and suddenly start dropping weight once they buy a food scale.

^^^^^^^^^^SOOOO true!!

I try and weigh mine raw whenever possible. But if i don't I either chose a cooked meat option (some of the options on MFP will specificy how it has been cooked) or over-estimate.
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    you really only need to weigh meat though, right? I use measuring cups for things and then convert it into oz if I have to
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    you really only need to weigh meat though, right? I use measuring cups for things and then convert it into oz if I have to

It depends on the serving type listed. For example, butter's servings are usually listed in tablespoons. As such, measuring that by weight won't give you the information you need to determine the number of calories in what you are eating. Liquids are different as well, and usually measured in fluid ounces, milliliters, liters, etc.

When in doubt, check the serving size on the label to know which measuring method you would need to use.
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The nutritional information on the packaging I've seen lists a raw and cooked value. Tonights chicken listed a serving as 4oz (112g) raw/ 3oz (84g) cooked. Both were listed as having 120 calories.
  • bmaxl
    bmaxl Posts: 1
    Options
    Weigh meat or any food as you will eat it. I find that raw meat will loose 25 to 59 percent of it's weight in cooking. Is there an industry standard? I have been dieting since I was diagnosed with diabetes 39 years ago, but I don't recall anything but weighing meat cooked.
  • jlhill7
    Options

I weigh all my food :-)
  • jlhill7
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I usually weigh all my meat raw, weill tonight my hubby had dinner waiting for me and I had to weigh it cooked and boy was there a difference
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I weigh most meat cooked because I would have difficulty knowing how much I ate in a serving of, say, pork tenderloin, if I didn't slice it cooked and weigh how much I planned to eat
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I mostly weigh meat, cheese and nuts. If the food is listed as a weight, I weigh it most of the time. I don't always bother with really low calorie stuff like spinach. I did, however, weigh spinach a few times so I can see what a serving looks like.

I weigh my meat cooked but I know that is incorrect.

There are so many guesstimates to things, particularly restaurant meals living abroad and even the packages of food bought can be off as much as 20%, so I try to reduce the guesstimates where I can. It may seem obsessive but it really isn't that hard and people's eyeballs tend to vary depending on how hungry they are.

Scales are easier and more accurate than measuring cups. If you put whole strawberries in a cup, that will be much different than if you slice it and different still if you dice it. One may think strawberries aren't a big deal but I'm speaking generically here.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I always do it uncooked. Just how I was taught, lol.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I weigh my meat fish etc raw - unless it clearly says roasted, cooked etc....