Shirataki Noodles, yay or nay?

Options
MightyDomo
MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
I am contemplating getting these so I can add noodles to my meals again.

If you have tried them let me know what you think about them. Are they good or gross?

Replies

• RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just tried them for the first time tonight. The smell when they come out of the bag is a little offputting, but once you blanch them and add sauce, you really can't tell.
  • No! They were SO gross. The instructions literally require you to wash the noodles off until they don't smell like chemicals anymore. It was too weird for me, and they didn't taste like noodles at all.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I tried them. Most likely will not do so again. However you should pick some up and see if you like them, I don't remember them being that expensive.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    They need to be rinsed and cooked to get rid of the weird smell. If you get the tofu-based ones, they're chewy. If you can get the yam ones, they're MUCH better. :)
  • AussieTrainer
    Options
    Yea! Parboil them for 2-3 minutes as the instructions say. Then rinse them and either heat in a pan with creamy alfredo sauce and chicken or shrimp ;) Or, use them to make any kind of noodle soup. The first time I tried them I was a litte disappointed that they did not taste like actual pasta. But, imo they are a super replacement.
  • ragrant850
    ragrant850 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Definitely a "YAY" for me! .... I LOVE these noodles. I've tried whole grain pasta, brown rice pasta, veggie fortified pasta and these are by far my favorite. I've used them with pasta sauces and in stir fry and i like them. (I've tried the angel hair, the spaghetti and the fettuccine... all good)

Purplkid is right, they do smell kinda bad when you first take them out of the bag, but once mix them in with whatever else you can't really tell. You may notice that they're a little 'gummy' but that's about it.
  • Dree3
    Dree3 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've tried the spaghetti noodles a few times, but they always seem to come out kinda rubbery. Not sure how to counter that. I could see it working better maybe if they're sauteed or baked. Most of the time I just figure out a noodle substitute with some kinda veggie, like thin-sliced eggplant or zucchini. Deli-sliced meat also works well as pretend-lasagna, like ham or prosciutto.

Anyway, I have one shirataki spaghetti pack left, so I'll probably try doing something different with them to try and alleviate the rubbery texture!
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I like them. They are not noodles but I think they are a good filler. It seems people either love them or hate them.

You need to rinse them good then cook them, I prefer to dry fry them. Then you need to cook them with whatever your going to eat them with. Like stir fry on the stove or cook them in the oven with a sauce. You need to give them time to take on the flavor of whatever your cooking them with. If you simply add sauce to them and eat them you will be disappointed.

My wife thinks they taste chewy like mushrooms and can't stand them because she can't stand mushrooms.
  • BeckZombie
    BeckZombie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yay! They are chewy, so don't expect them to be exactly like pasta, but once you get used to the texture, they're great. I use them in stir-fries and I make a mean peanut noodle stir-fry with them. If you're worried about the chewiness, I'd go with the spaghetti ones.
  • CmeATtheGym
    CmeATtheGym Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love to make a mock alfredo sauce to put over them with mushrooms. It does not have a taste of its own, but the texture is different. I do not eat them often but every now and then it really hits the spot. Be sure to following the instructions on package. Pick up a pack or two to try, they usually havea long expiration dates ( Tofu Shirataki noodles )
  • kathy53b
    kathy53b Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use the NoOodles (yam type) and like them. They do need to be rinsed to rid of the odor. I like using them in spicy stir fry's. They have no value but they have helped me limit my pasta addiction. After rinsing, you can lightly stir fry to dry the noodles slightly more then add your ingredients. I don't eat these everyday but they help my when a very large bowl of pasta and butter sounds and looks yummy!!!!

Give it a try...they might work for you

Kathy
  • wluck
    wluck Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i've tried them and i like them. I would get them more often, but they're pretty pricey for the small bags
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Lots of yay's considering the complaint of smell and rubbery texture haha. I guess I will need to try it myself and see if I do like it but I am really glad I came to ask first. It would have been a huge disappointment if I had not known about the smell and texture, now that I know what to expect maybe it can be a really good experience.

Thank you!
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Lots of yay's considering the complaint of smell and rubbery texture haha. I guess I will need to try it myself and see if I do like it but I am really glad I came to ask first. It would have been a huge disappointment if I had not known about the smell and texture, now that I know what to expect maybe it can be a really good experience.

Thank you!

What she said.:flowerforyou:
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Edible =/= food.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Edible =/= food.
    It's not like they are some chemically synthesized lab grown substance. It's the ground up root of a plant. While they have little to no nutritional value neither does celery and nobody thinks that's weird.
  • jessababy22
    Options
    I recently bought some off of groupon so I'm glad to hear what people think and how they are making them!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    My wife bought 5kg. You can come and pick them up, she only tried them once.
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It all depends what you do with them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBHqQcXFmLA
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I personally could not eat them. I tried a couple of bites but just didn't care for them at all:(