Do you think 2240 calories is a good idea?

Options
Hello! I still need to lose about 50 pounds and went to see a nutritionist for diet help. He calculated how much I should be eating and said I should eat 2240 calories with 1/3 protein and 2/3 carbs from fruits and veggies, no wheat, no grains, no fake sugars, only real ones.

The problem is, eating that many calories is uncomfortable now. I enjoy eating from 1300-1700 calories a day and I feel bloated when I'm supposed to meet my goal. I have another meeting with him next month and he'll be looking through my diary logs. Should I continue with what he said? I feel like its detrimental to my goals. Also, reaching my protein goal of 138 grams is killing me. So much protein!

Anyway thanks in advance!

Also I know I posted this already, but I think the title was scaring away a lot of people!

Replies

• Pandabug93
    Pandabug93 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hello (:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how tall, how old, how much you weigh,.... in other words, you would need to know your TDEE and BMR.
    :-)

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
  • summergirl212
    summergirl212 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I feel like since you saw a nutritionist it might be good to take their advice since they are actually trained and experts in the field. DOo they know your weight loss goals? I would think that it is high and maybe more like maintenance calories, but you could always try it for a week and see how you feel/what happens. A week won't totally derail you but maybe it will make you feel good and fuel you body. Also, do you work out? Maybe they were taking that into consideration.

I know that I probably would never be able to eat that much and think I could lose weight so your question makes sense but they are a nutritionist so I'd guess they have to know what they are talking about.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I just ate 93 g of protein for dinner. I believe you need carbs so I couldn't do that, but the protein sounds great!
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    2240 seems like a lot unless that is gross cals and you are also exercising?

I am curious about the mix your nutritionist has you on... 1/3 protein and 2/3 carb. Where is the fat? Your body needs fat to survive. Honest!

I don't know what your weight is, but 138 g of protein a day isn't much at all if you are exercising. you should have .75 g minimum average per day for each pount of lean body (your weight - fat (% BFxweight)). I am approx 175 lbs lean and try to get 175 g protein per day.

Good luck!
  • Pandabug93
    Options
    Well I don't exercise every day, so that's why I'm concerned. The fat comes in usually with the protein, I don't have any negligence when it comes to getting my fat in :D
  • samisad0rk
    Options
    Just because someone calls themselves a nutritionist doesn't mean they necessarily have the proper training to actually help you. I am not saying that the person you saw doesn't, but anyone can set up shop and call themselves a nutritionist, It is not a regulated title. If you want to be sure the person you go to for nutrition guidance knows their stuff, seek out a registered dietitian. They are regulated by the American Dietetic Association and they have to meet strict educational and professional prerequisites and pass a national exam before they are considered registered dietitians.

As Riemersma4 pointed out, it is very odd that they didn't include a fat goal. Fat doesn't just go along with protein, you can eat plenty of protein and not nearly enough fat if you eat certain lean proteins. (Certain types of fish, boneless skinless chicken breast, leafy dark greens etc) Our bodies need fat to be able to properly absorb various nutrients.

As others have suggested, for us to actually give our opinions on this calorie intake, we would need to know your stats. It is possible that it is just a slower loss, which many consider healthy, but we cannot tell without knowing your height and weight at the very least. Age and body fat percentage can also be helpful factors in considering a healthy calorie intake. If you don't want to share those stats, I would suggest finding a registered dietitian and getting a second opinion! Good luck. :)
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Not trying to bit pick but I wouldn't agree with the above poster who suggested trying it for a week and see how it goes. If you are going to lose, maintain or gain you will need to do it for longer than a week. I'd of thought a month at least to see how the new amount effects your body.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I would listen to the professional over the advice of the internet :)

Really, I'd give it a try for a month or two, and see how you feel. And do some research on the nutritionist you went to -- if you can find some evidence of past successes with other clients, that will go a long way in improving your confidence in his methods

Personally, I think cutting out all grains/flour/sugar/whatever is silly, unless you're trying to discover if you have some sort of intolerance, but that's just me. The number of calories is pretty reasonable, assuming you're active a few times a week. Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i get 125g of protein per day fairly easily. start with the protein and build the rest of the meal round that and its not too hard.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I can't say for sure what's good for other people as I think it's different for everyone, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it,

Myself, I eat 2500 to lose (total - I exercise) and can get around 150g with just 1 protein shake (24g)

As a previous poster said, give it a month and see how you get on.
  • krepthin
    krepthin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'd get a new nutritionist. My doctor told me (at 199lbs) to eat no more than 1400 calories a day. Low glycemic if possible. I also walk my dog 20-30 minutes 4 times a day, every day.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I have lost 90ish lbs eating 2200
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I can't say for sure what's good for other people as I think it's different for everyone, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it,

Myself, I eat 2500 to lose (total - I exercise) and can get around 150g with just 1 protein shake (24g)

As a previous poster said, give it a month and see how you get on.

I also eat above 2000 calories to lose weight (slowly, but I don't have as much to lose).
  • Schmelvie
    Schmelvie Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm not necessarily going to comment on the exact amount as much as I'm going to focus on something else you mentioned... You said you were comfortable eating at the lower levels and you feel bloated when you eat at the level suggested. That is to be expected, and I'm speaking from experience.

Our bodies will get used to anything if you do it long enough and it will feel natural. Your body has gotten used to the lower calories and now it feels natural for you. Increasing to the higher calories will not feel natural at first. Your body is not used to digesting that much so there will be extra water retained, extra gases created, and some level of discomfort while your body adjusts to it. But it will adjust. It won't take long for 2240 to feel normal. In fact, you will come to see those lower levels differently... Like "how did I eat so little?"

That's where I'm at today. I netted 1200 for several months. At first it was hard and I was hungry a lot. Then it got easier; to the point that it felt "normal". Then I plateaued. I've now slowly increased my calories up to maintenance just to get my body used to that amount of food again. I felt horrible eating that much at first. Daily bloat had me feeling like crap each time I increased; but I stuck with it, and now 2500-2600 feels natural. I still have 20 pounds to go, and have actually gained a few pounds during this phase; again because I wasn't eating enough before, and my body got used to it. Now that maintenance feels "normal", I'm ready to cut again. But I learned my lesson, I'm not going to create as large a calorie deficit as I did before, because it's too difficult to get back to the levels of where I should be eating for the rest of my life.

The moral of the story - "Normal" is whatever you make it. If you eat too little for too long, you (and your body) will think it's normal. And this will be validated by how bad you feel when you "eat more". Pay no attention to this. Trust the numbers, not how you feel.
  • Pandabug93
    Options
    Thanks everyone I will try it and see if it works after a month (:
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'd get a new nutritionist. My doctor told me (at 199lbs) to eat no more than 1400 calories a day. Low glycemic if possible. I also walk my dog 20-30 minutes 4 times a day, every day.

I don't get why a the op should get a new nutritionist. That's a bit unfair. I mean your doctor gave you advice on YOU, not the rest of the world. That being said my doctor helped me find out my true bmr and tdee and told me to eat no less than 1900 calories a day to lose and 2300- 2400 to maintain. It has worked perfectly for me. Would it be fair to say you should find a new doctor.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

Not many doctors know much about nutrition and BMR, I don't think your doc gave you good advice either.... at 1400 calories a day, you are eating under your BMR which is not good. I am 145 and my BMR is 1400.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I'm not necessarily going to comment on the exact amount as much as I'm going to focus on something else you mentioned... You said you were comfortable eating at the lower levels and you feel bloated when you eat at the level suggested. That is to be expected, and I'm speaking from experience.

Our bodies will get used to anything if you do it long enough and it will feel natural. Your body has gotten used to the lower calories and now it feels natural for you. Increasing to the higher calories will not feel natural at first. Your body is not used to digesting that much so there will be extra water retained, extra gases created, and some level of discomfort while your body adjusts to it. But it will adjust. It won't take long for 2240 to feel normal. In fact, you will come to see those lower levels differently... Like "how did I eat so little?"

That's where I'm at today. I netted 1200 for several months. At first it was hard and I was hungry a lot. Then it got easier; to the point that it felt "normal". Then I plateaued. I've now slowly increased my calories up to maintenance just to get my body used to that amount of food again. I felt horrible eating that much at first. Daily bloat had me feeling like crap each time I increased; but I stuck with it, and now 2500-2600 feels natural. I still have 20 pounds to go, and have actually gained a few pounds during this phase; again because I wasn't eating enough before, and my body got used to it. Now that maintenance feels "normal", I'm ready to cut again. But I learned my lesson, I'm not going to create as large a calorie deficit as I did before, because it's too difficult to get back to the levels of where I should be eating for the rest of my life.

The moral of the story - "Normal" is whatever you make it. If you eat too little for too long, you (and your body) will think it's normal. And this will be validated by how bad you feel when you "eat more". Pay no attention to this. Trust the numbers, not how you feel.

Very good point... we can train our bodies to eat too little and it is not a good thing in the long run.