Need some support..I'm losing my motivation

Options
I've been doing this for about 3 weeks now and all of a sudden I have hit a wall. I fell off the wagon this past weekend in terms of food/calorie intake, and although I met my calorie goal yesterday I am struggling today. I feel so hungry and I just want to eat what I want to eat! and that's everything!

HELP!! I need to stay on track. Any encouragement is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, you can do it!!!

Think about why you are hungry? Stress-eating? Boredom? Try re-reading your goals and trying to fix what is causing the hunger. Or use it as a reason to work out!! If you work out, you'll be able to eat more.

I took a quick look at your profile, and I notice you listed your 14-year old son as a reason to stay motivated. Maybe if you keep having a hard time, you could ask him to help you out and keep you on track?? If you are trying to motivate him, his involvement might help make this struggle easier for you....

We all fall off the wagon, getting back on is the true test, and you can do it. :)
  • baxyboy
    baxyboy Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The best thing I find for avoiding feeling so hungry is trying to spread my calories out throughout the day more whilst keeping to my limit...

I've switched to healthier cereals for breakfast, soup instead of large stacks of sandwiches for lunch, smaller portions/lower-calorie versions of dinners I like (so I'm not trying to force myself to eat foods I don't like and won't stick to), then with the calories I've saved use some (not all) for low calorie snacks during the day like fruit, low calorie/fat free yoghurt, healthy snack bars/packs and so on.

The other thing that helps is running on my treadmill in the evening - if I do that before dinner then it means I'm eating dinner a little later, so am not getting hungry late in the evening, or if I run later after I've eaten (and let it settle so I don't get sick/hurt) then I'm running later instead of eating.

I'm finding it much easier now to last the day without wanting to graze so much.

The important thing in my eyes is not to worry too much about the odd cheat meal or even day - as long as it's not too often and overall you carry on sticking to/under your target and you keep seeing the weight go down.
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    well i've been stuck also but i try to eat right and workout, ive been given the advice that weight loss will not happen over night it your doing it the right way. if it comes off fast it will pack on just as fast. so eat right and workout and you will notice a difference. i think the last time i started noticing a difference after 2 months. for instance today i weighed myself and i am the same weight but i lost in inch so i im not discourage i know im doing something right. eat healthy snacks, almonds, bananas, i know its hard, it been 6 mths since i had my daughter and can;t manage to lose the weight but im not stressing anymore. (which may be the cause STRESS).
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Since your food diary isn't set to public, I can't comment on your eating habits, but I can give you some tips to feel more full on restricted calories.

1. Calories: Make sure you're eating ENOUGH calories for your activity level, and be sure to eat back some if not all of your exercise calories.

2. Fiber: Aim for at least 25 grams per day (MFP sets fiber on the low side). Good sources of fiber include whole fruits and vegetables, beans, nuts, and whole wheat bread. Ground flax seed makes a good fiber supplement -- you can sprinkle it over yogurt, cereal, into soups and smoothies -- and it also contains heart-healthy omega (good) fats.

3. Water: When you consume more fiber, you need to drink more water to ensure it passes easily through your body. Water also helps to flush out toxins, keeps your body running efficiently, and gives you a feeling of fullness. 8 cups is the general recommended minimum, but if you can get in more (I strive for 12-16 cups per day, depending on my activity level, temperature, and humidity -- if it's dry or hot, I drink more -- you may not need that much) it can only help. If your urine is light yellow to clear, you are probably drinking enough water. If it's dark yellow, you need to drink more.

4: Protein: Protein takes longer to digest than carbohydrates, which can help keep you feeling sated for longer. Choose lean proteins like chicken, fish, low fat or non fat dairy, or lean vegetarian options. MFP sets protein on the low side, so you may want to check your settings. If you exercise heavily, or weight train, you may want to consume more lean protein than if you only exercise moderately. Try to eat lean protein with each meal. Whey protein powder is a good supplement if you find you need to increase your protein intake; you can mix it with milk, water, juice (depending on the flavor) or yogurt. Most whey protein is also a vegetarian friendly food.

5: Timing: If you can, structure your meal times so that you are eating every 2-4 hours. Keep the meals small (around 300 calories). You want to eat between 5-6 small meals/snacks per day. I generally have breakfast by 10:00 a.m. (I am not an early morning eater); lunch by 1:00 p.m.; snack 1 by 4:00 p.m.; workout at 6:00 p.m.; snack 2 at 7:00 p.m.; dinner at 9:00 p.m.; and if I have the calories for a small snack before bed, I try to eat that no later than 11:00 p.m. This is what works with my personal schedule. Some people will tell you not to eat x number of hours before bed (3-4). That may or may not fit with your lifestyle. Find what works for YOU -- because if it's not something you can live with, you won't succeed.

Good luck -- and don't give up! I know this process is hard, but you CAN SUCCEED!!
  • raleighgoodwins
    raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to all of you who responded. You gave me a lot of really good ideas that I hadn't thought of. And you're right about spreading out my meals - i tend to eat too much at one time and then I'm stuck for a long time not being able to eat anything else.
    Thanks again. I'm going to try out your suggestions.