Lifting help.

Options
Manda86
Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
So.

I am well acquainted with losing weight (and gaining it back) but I think I want to start lifting. It is completely uncharted territory. I have a few concerns that a cursory glance through search results didn't satisfy.

1. My brainpan is filled with terror.
i. I am fat and full of social anxiety.
ii. I am going to have to go to a gym, right? Where people are?
a. Should I invest in a fake mustache and a pair of dark sunglasses until I hit my stride?
2. Where the heck to start?
i. Is a trainer necessary?
ii. I am terribly out of shape.
a. Do I need to lose all the weight first?
iii. I am a full time student taking the hardest class of my degree program this semester and the mother to a toddler.
Will this be a big time commitment every day (>1 hour)?
iv. Can you point me towards a few resources that aren't going to break the bank?
3. My left knee is jacked.
i. Is lifting safe for creaky joints littered with screws?
a. Any tips from people that have had knee surgery previously to avoid reinjury?

Thank you for your patience and in advance for your help.

Replies

• Manda86
    Options
    I was tempted to let this thread die - it may have been a little bit of self sabotage, posting it late so not many would see it. I thought to myself, if no one responds, I'll let it go.

The truth is I want to change and part of that is not allowing myself to make excuses anymore. Trying something that scares me is important to my development as a human being, I think. I don't want to live a life dictated by fear. I know I have asked some very specific questions, but even if you don't have any answers, I'd like to hear feedback from those that have done it.

I'm very sorry if these are questions that have been asked a thousand times before, and I ask for your patience and advice.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    So why not start off with some weights at home with some dvd's or you tube things to get you started, as you get more comfortable with doing some of the simple lunges, squats, etc you will feel more comfortable with yourself and then can adventure out in the world of the gym. YOu can put in as much or as little time as you want, Just know that running to the gym lifting 2 weights for 5 min isn't going to get you the results that you want.

As for your knee, make sure that you have a knee support brace before you start doing lunges, squats. Don't do them as deep to start. Good Luck.
  • Manda86
    Options
    So why not start off with some weights at home with some dvd's or you tube things to get you started, as you get more comfortable with doing some of the simple lunges, squats, etc you will feel more comfortable with yourself and then can adventure out in the world of the gym. YOu can put in as much or as little time as you want, Just know that running to the gym lifting 2 weights for 5 min isn't going to get you the results that you want.

As for your knee, make sure that you have a knee support brace before you start doing lunges, squats. Don't do them as deep to start. Good Luck.

Thank you for the reply, I am certainly prepared to invest more than 5 minutes to see results :tongue: , just didn't know how much of a time sink it will be - your advice is appreciated. Do you have any specific dvds or youtube channels/videos that you like that you could recommend?
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I tried the fake mustache at the gym, unfortunately my rear gave me away. lol.

Anyway, I've found gym members to be fairly decent people and they come in all sizes and shapes. Sort of a community itself if you attend the same classes over time. Don't be scared, it really isn't that bad.

Also, You don't have to join a gym, there are trainers out there that will come to your house and help you get started. they can direct you to the exercises that will be most beneficial for you.

I also agree with Tigerlily, get some bands or tubing to work with at home along with exercise DVDs. Matter of fact, a friend showed me that there are some exercise channels (we have Verizon) that are free on cable.

My knees are jacked also (old lady arthritis). It totally sucks. So I modify movements so I don't hurt them any more. I've found cycling to be easiest on my knees and have a stationary bike.

Right now P90X is my home DVD, it's not for everybody, but I do modify to make it doable for me. Sorry I can't recommend another DVD however, I'm sure the forum members have some good suggestions.

Good Luck, and don't give up!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I just posted this, I think it would be a perfect place to start. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/867207-arms-of-steel-dvd-review
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I just posted this, I think it would be a perfect place to start. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/867207-arms-of-steel-dvd-review

Sounds great!
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian Micheals 30 day shred which has a little bit of weights in but I do have to wear my brace for lunges and squats. Its somethign to get you started and I use 3 lb weights right now. I am pretty sure you can get the videos on You Tube.
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    a. Any tips from people that have had knee surgery previously to avoid reinjury?

The knee problems I can sympathize with! I've had knee issues for about 11 years now. At the time when I injured it, I was skating about 5 days a week (my own and teaching), playing volleyball 2-3 days, and dancing 1 day. It came on with a giant crack in gym class one day, and it didn't help matters that I have always hyper-extended the joint. Anyway, where's this going? My knees creek, crack and grind all the time, but just in the past year with starting to pay attention to working out and pushing myself further, my knees have gotten better. It's taken a while, and my kneed did do creeky stuff when I first started squatting/lunging, but now they're a million times better!

Take it light, start with biking or bodyweight squats/lunges, and then see where it goes from there!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    A trainer is a good choice. Correct knowledge in lifting will boost not only confidence, but help to save you from injuring yourself from just winging it.

The majority of people in the gym stare more at themselves than anyone else. You could do a dance with no rhythm (lol, many do it in Zumba) in the middle of the gym floor, and would hardly get a glance.

EVERYONE in the gym started out of shape or wanting to change their shape.

Wear baggy sweats. Helps to get you to stop worrying about how you perceive yourself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    So.

I am well acquainted with losing weight (and gaining it back) but I think I want to start lifting. It is completely uncharted territory. I have a few concerns that a cursory glance through search results didn't satisfy.

1. My brainpan is filled with terror.
    i. I am fat and full of social anxiety.
    ii. I am going to have to go to a gym, right? Where people are?
    a. Should I invest in a fake mustache and a pair of dark sunglasses until I hit my stride?

Half the gym is fat. Really. You don't HAVE to go to a gym. You can buy weights and work out at home. Women's Health magazine always has workouts in their issues, you could clip them and put together a workout on your own, at home, if you want. You could rent workout video's from NetFlix, try before you buy. And you don't have to lift weight, pilates is a great workout!
    I wouldn't recommend a mustache, they itch when you sweat :)
    2. Where the heck to start?
    i. Is a trainer necessary?
    ii. I am terribly out of shape.
    a. Do I need to lose all the weight first?
    iii. I am a full time student taking the hardest class of my degree program this semester and the mother to a toddler.
    Will this be a big time commitment every day (>1 hour)?
    iv. Can you point me towards a few resources that aren't going to break the bank?

You don't have to hire a trainer. See BodyBuilding.com and go to "Find a Plan". They are free. You don't have to work out every day, you could go every other day.

Thank you for your patience and in advance for your help.

I would ask your Doctor for clearance before doing things like squats and lunges.

Good luck!
  • notthatthis
    Options
    A trainer is a good choice. Correct knowledge in lifting will boost not only confidence, but help to save you from injuring yourself from just winging it.

The majority of people in the gym stare more at themselves than anyone else. You could do a dance with no rhythm (lol, many do it in Zumba) in the middle of the gym floor, and would hardly get a glance.

EVERYONE in the gym started out of shape or wanting to change their shape.

Wear baggy sweats. Helps to get you to stop worrying about how you perceive yourself.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

If affordable get a trainer, it is a great investment.

It is true, people are not gawpers at the gym and everyone started out as a noob, even Arnold and Ronnie Coleman.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    You don't have to hire a trainer. See BodyBuilding.com and go to "Find a Plan". They are free. You don't have to work out every day, you could go every other day.
    While true one doesn't need to hire a trainer, a total newbie attempting to even do a shoulder press or squat could do it wrong from just looking at a reference video. At least with a trainer, you can get some guidance on feedback from what they see on an exercise.

I've taken many an individual through a 1 hour full body workout at a cost of about $50. For many, that $50 was worth ensuring that their knees traveled correctly on a squat or leg press, they didn't round their back (teaching people how to not to do this takes a hands on approach) on rows or deadlifts, not going to low on pulldowns, etc.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Manda86
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, I joined bodybuilding.com and am excited to get started. I think I am going to try to find a trainer - it is not within the budget at the moment but within the next month or so should be able to get started.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have a crap knee too and it feels A LOT better since I started doing weights.

I did Stage 1 of NROLFW - I felt silly doing the step ups in there but it def helped my knee.
    I don't like lunges though.
    Squats have helped my knee as well.

You buy, borrow, or rent NROLFW.
    Starting Strengths is cheap (I think?)
    StrongLifts is free, it's what I'm following now.

The first stage of NROLFW with some cardio & stretching, about 50 min.
    Stronglifts, with cardio & my two additions plus a stretch, about 65 min.
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Try the app fitness buddy. Great place to start
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    While true one doesn't need to hire a trainer, a total newbie attempting to even do a shoulder press or squat could do it wrong from just looking at a reference video. At least with a trainer, you can get some guidance on feedback from what they see on an exercise.

I've taken many an individual through a 1 hour full body workout at a cost of about $50. For many, that $50 was worth ensuring that their knees traveled correctly on a squat or leg press, they didn't round their back (teaching people how to not to do this takes a hands on approach) on rows or deadlifts, not going to low on pulldowns, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

I halfheartedly tried to hire a trainer before starting stronglifts, but he never got back to me. I started loading up on squats, and now I've hurt my knee. I'm a member of the stronglifts for women group here, and they've been providing lots of videos and ideas for what I'm doing wrong (I've since completely deloaded the bar and am working on form). So I'm probably a good example of why hiring a trainer would be beneficial.

I was afraid to start lifting as well, so I started at home with body weight exercises. I found nerdfitness and did some of his recommended body weight workouts (well, really just the beginner). http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/workouts/

When I started I laughed at pushups, but he provides alternatives like wall push-ups, countertop, chair, etc. You can build it up over time.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Also, I started in the Smith machine - DON"T, Hurt my knee more.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I don't want to work out in front of people either, so i invested in weights for home, works out cheaper in the long run anyway. I started off with the "new rules of lifting for women" book, which is a great beginners program. Start now, don't wait till you have lost all the weight, maintain your muscle mass. A trainer is useful at first to help with form, but not 100% necessary.
    The new rules program that i mentioned is less than an hour three times a week.
    I can't advise on knee problem sorry, probably more of a reason to see a trainer at least once.