steel cut oats?

Options
has anybody tried making steel cut oats in bulk like for a week and reheating each day? i do this for brown rice and quinoa, but i've never tried this - wondering if they taste normal or if they get dry or gummy?

Replies

• sue4nyy
    sue4nyy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do. I cook according to the directions and divide it into 4 servings and refrigerate. I add milk and heat it in the microwave for 2 mins and it tastes great!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I make it in the crockpot overnight....enough for three or four hearty breakfasts. Easy and yummy.
  • st3f4real
    st3f4real Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Preheat oven 350 degrees

4 heaping tablespoons peanut butter
    4 eggs worth of flaxseed [4 tbsp ground flaxseed+ 12 tbsp water] [the original recipe called for 4 egg whites but we did not have eggs]
    Cinnamon (to your liking) I sprinkle a generous amount and just eyeball it
    2-3 mashed bananas (I used a potato masher)
    10 stevia packets
    Quick Cook Steel cut oats (pour in as much as you think would soak up the liquid while cooking) I eyeball this since I do not mind if they have an extra oatmeal taste. Stir in oatmeal until it thickens and becomes the consistency of cookie dough.

Bake at 350 degrees 30 minutes or until they have risen a little and do not have too much moisture left. They will still be moist. I am experimenting with cooking them a little bit more each time to see how dry I can make them and have them still edible.

*I made them in mini loaf pans today (spraying the pans with cooking spray before baking) and they look and smell like mini banana bread loafs. I put them in individual containers and refrigerate them for the week to bring for snack at work or eat for breakfast/dessert at home.

Who knew oatmeal could be so easy to prepare and be so tasty!!!