Skinless, boneless chicken boobs: Yuck !

Options

Replies

• zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat any other part of the chicken. Even when I was fat they were pretty much the only part I ate. They're incredibly popular here in New Zealand, I don't know why they aren't popular elsewhere. The've got falvour and are sooo versitile!

I like mine stuffed with a piquant pepper and a little feta and some spinach... mmmmm yummy! Or grilled with a little oil, then rested (so they stay juicy) and then cut up and eaten in a salad or sandwich with avocado, lettuce onion and a little relish/aioli. Or in a stirfry with a little soy sauce and garlic, maybe even some honey,
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I just eat them plain. A little seasoned salt, bake them at 425 til the heat thermometer beeps and they're good. I love plain food. I thrive on it. I don't care for fat and oil and stuff.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I know you said you weren't big on marinades, but here's another idea: Buy the cheapest Italian dressing you can find. Take your chicken breasts and while still slightly frozen, score them with a knife, being careful not to cut all the way through. Put the cheap dressing in a Ziploc bag, throw your chicken in, put it in the fridge, and forget about it for at least 6 hours (I've left it as long as overnight before). When you're ready to eat, throw the chicken breasts on the grill and cook until done.

Erin -- I don't know why -- because I do not like Italian dressing -- but this sounds very intriguing. Maybe I'll just use a balsamic vinaigrette?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Whoa, neanderthin ! Isn't that a little harsh? You, of all people, should know that we have probably been knocking chickens down out of the trees and eating them since we could first throw rocks.
    Not even a whole chicken, on a spit, with rosemary inside, and butter on the outside to make the skin crispy so that it really holds the juices in?
    C'mon . . . I can hear your stomach growling from here. . . .
    LOL. I'm a chef and have cooked chicken to ad nauseum and unfortunately the chicken on this side of the Ocean is not what I'd call tasty. I would never order chicken out, ever. Saying that I do eat chicken, but my go to protein is venison and lamb, have friends that hunt and supply me or my close neighbor who raises sheep.

Ahhh. Lamb. Now, there's a rich, flavorful meat !
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Whoa, neanderthin ! Isn't that a little harsh? You, of all people, should know that we have probably been knocking chickens down out of the trees and eating them since we could first throw rocks.
    Not even a whole chicken, on a spit, with rosemary inside, and butter on the outside to make the skin crispy so that it really holds the juices in?
    LOL. I'm a chef and have cooked chicken to ad nauseum and unfortunately the chicken on this side of the Ocean is not what I'd call tasty. I would never order chicken out, ever. Saying that I do eat chicken, but my go to protein is venison and lamb, have friends that hunt and supply me or my close neighbor who raises sheep.

I really wish lamb was more popular. It's hard to find good sources of this epically delicious meat.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I make my own honey mustard out of greek yogurt, and you can make delicious dill sauce to put on them with it too. Extra protein! I also roll mine in crushed up bran cereal (as breading instead of breadcrumbs) add half an oz part skim mozzarella, and a tiny bit of ham (preferably an all natural source) and eat it with mustard/honey mustard for a delicious take on chicken cordon bleu.

I also liked this : http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/09/skinny-chicken-pesto-bake.html

And I like putting some marinara on top of a spinach stuffed breast with ricotta.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

Ahhh. Lamb. Now, there's a rich, flavorful meat !
    Yeah, the local lamb here is just incredible and a great farm environment.
  • melt2svelte
    Options
    Jen800 - Thanks for the recipe! I often do a baked chicken breast with basil pesto, but that looks awesome. Pinned it!
  • melt2svelte
    Options
    I wish lamb was more affordable here! It is super expensive. :/
  • neanderthin
    Options
    That's too bad. You might try sourcing lamb from a local farm. I'm paying about 200.00 for a whole lamb, and of course I butcher it and freeze, but they will do that for you, makes it a lot more affordable and there's nothing better than lamb, lol.
  • eringraczyk
    eringraczyk Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I know you said you weren't big on marinades, but here's another idea: Buy the cheapest Italian dressing you can find. Take your chicken breasts and while still slightly frozen, score them with a knife, being careful not to cut all the way through. Put the cheap dressing in a Ziploc bag, throw your chicken in, put it in the fridge, and forget about it for at least 6 hours (I've left it as long as overnight before). When you're ready to eat, throw the chicken breasts on the grill and cook until done.

Erin -- I don't know why -- because I do not like Italian dressing -- but this sounds very intriguing. Maybe I'll just use a balsamic vinaigrette?

I'm not a fan of Italian dressing either--hate the stuff to be perfectly honest--but give it a shot at least once. I think the cheapest dressing has more vinegar in it than more expensive brands, and it's the vinegar that breaks down the chicken a bit and makes it more tender. Thus, I think your balsamic vinaigrette would work, too. Let me know.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What does happen to the rest of the chicken?
  • neanderthin
    Options

I'm not a fan of Italian dressing either--hate the stuff to be perfectly honest--but give it a shot at least once. I think the cheapest dressing has more vinegar in it than more expensive brands, and it's the vinegar that breaks down the chicken a bit and makes it more tender. Thus, I think your balsamic vinaigrette would work, too. Let me know.
    try pounding out a chicken breast like a scallopini, then marinate with lime, olive oil, oregano, thyme, basil and chive, salt and pepper, then on a BBQ grill for 2 minutes a side.
  • runningfataway
    Options
    Thought this was about something else...oops
  • melt2svelte
    Options
    That's too bad. You might try sourcing lamb from a local farm. I'm paying about 200.00 for a whole lamb, and of course I butcher it and freeze, but they will do that for you, makes it a lot more affordable and there's nothing better than lamb, lol.

I try to get my most of my meats locally, but they are still so expensive! I would love to be able to freeze a bunch of meat in my freezer, but it is small and inadequate. Woe is the apartment life. lol.
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've never had a use for these damned things. I'd rather eat chicken that tastes like, you know, CHICKEN instead of dry, flavorless protein lumps. The only way I've ever found to make them even remotely passable is a long soak in buttermilk and then coat them in flour and pan fry them. Still not as good at if you disassemble the bird yourself, but hey.

Other than that, throw them to the dogs and get something with a bone in it and skin on it.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I've never had a use for these damned things. I'd rather eat chicken that tastes like, you know, CHICKEN instead of dry, flavorless protein lumps. The only way I've ever found to make them even remotely passable is a long soak in buttermilk and then coat them in flour and pan fry them. Still not as good at if you disassemble the bird yourself, but hey.

Other than that, throw them to the dogs and get something with a bone in it and skin on it.

This is going to sound weird, but I prefer large company processed chicken to chicken I butcher myself (yeah, I'm one of those). I don't know what they do to it but they seem to have less... gooey tendons? than store bought. I use my personally butchered fellows in soups mostly. Now I feel shame... not really but I feel like I should.
  • justagirlgeek
    justagirlgeek Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I throw them in the slow cooker with a package of reduced-sodium taco seasoning. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, then shred the meat and eat in a lettuce wrap or tortilla with your choice of veggies!
    Yum!
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love them. I cook up at least a 5lb package every week. I brine them for an hour then smoke them. Super moist & tender, and a terrific flavor. Sometime for a change I'll marinade them in State Fair Chicken Marinade for 12 hours before I smoke them. Either way they're great by themselves, or on a sandwich or salad.

That's a lot of work. Maybe that's what it takes.

There is a reason for the phrase "tastes like chicken". It's because most chicken is rather nondescript in flavor. It tastes like whatever effort your put into doctoring it up. Sounds like you should go for a different protein. Life's too short to eat boneless skinless chicken that you don't even like.
  • FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm with you, they are rather meh, flavourless lumps of protein, they really need to be with something strong tasting for me, curry, spices etc.