Go away newbies (not really)

Options
124»

Replies

• JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    We were all newbies once! Sheez!

I actually am a personal trainer but I tend to try and workout incognito...and work out alot at home. Lately I've gotten alot of clients due to New years resolutions and because I am so busy..I have to work out at the gym now instead of home.

I love it when *kitten* holes who have been working out for a year or so, see me ,and think I'm a newbie. Today this one girl was sighing pretty loud when I asked if the empty spot next to hers was taken. You see I needed a place to warmup.

I could tell ,since I am a pt..that she was giving me the..."get out of my way noob" look. Stomping in front of me to get weights while I was doing some arm circles just for the fun of it..hee hee.

All the while she was giving me the evil eye for invading her "space".

so then , I threw in some one arm pushups , a few handstand pushups, and made sure to do a couple deadhang pullups and one muscleup(because I can only do one muscle up!) to remind the "veterans" not to judge the "new" people they see at the gym.

This is awesome!
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    Then buy a treadmill and use it at home :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm sure the "regulars" were thinking the same thing about you.
    :heart:
    I am not leaving - not now, not next week, not next month, not next year. You might want to get used to me.
    :drinker: :wink:
    Lol, whatever man. I always wondered when I joined a gym WHY I would get the looks I would get.. I used to think it was because I was fat...nope, its because my FAT *kitten* was taking up THEIR gym space.

Seriously.. get a grip people..we all start somewhere..AND.. it's only temporary right? So just keep thinking that.. in no time, your precious treadmill will be available!

So glad I work out at home now.
    :smile:
    I wish I could go up to them and say "Please stay!!! Keep on coming!! I'm exactly where you are right now 2 1/2 years ago and I've lost over 60lbs and if I can do this, YOU can do this!!!!" "Keep at it and don't give up!! "

:flowerforyou: Newbies: Don't give up! Keep on going!
    This!!! What a great post you wrote, you've got a really great frame of mind and a healthy attitude!! :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Mermaidyo
    Mermaidyo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm not a resolutioner. I just woke up one morning and said i'm tired of being fat and unheatlhy! :) I have worked out at home only. I've been to the gym once with friends that have the planet fitness membership and let me tell you I feel your pain I had to wait for ANYTHING to clear.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I just CAN'T HANDLE the amount of people at my gym anymore. All of these new people with NY resolutions need to GTFO of my gym.

I'm really just kidding, I'm glad people are trying to be healthier and change their lifestyles. But cmon, I can't even hop on a frikkin treadmill anymore and my gym is always packed. >.<

Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm sure the "regulars" were thinking the same thing about you.

Nope, I didn't join my current facility at the height of new memberships becasue they were running a deal.

I love laughing at these threads. Everyone gets so worked up.

It's just stating statistical fact. The gym will fill up in Jan, and clear by March.
  • RGv2
    Options
    Check dependency on treadmill. Should be able to walk/run outside on your own by now.

We had a high of -5 with windchills in the -20 to -30 range. It was -20 with windchills in the -50 range when I went to the gym at 4:30. If you go, I'll go.
  • RGv2
    Options
    Lol, whatever man. I always wondered when I joined a gym WHY I would get the looks I would get.. I used to think it was because I was fat...nope, its because my FAT *kitten* was taking up THEIR gym space.

Seriously.. get a grip people..we all start somewhere..AND.. it's only temporary right? So just keep thinking that.. in no time, your precious treadmill will be available!

So glad I work out at home now.

Awesome! Thanks!
  • mayflowermn
    mayflowermn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i kinda get this - i hate the girls who go to the gym to say they went, and do their ten minute walk on the treadmill then their 30 min stand-around-and-gossip-but-don't-use-the-equipment-they-are-blocking session. luckily they never last

Lately at our gym it's been the GUYS that are the ones that clog up all the benches and weights and then stand around like a bunch of chickens in a hen house clucking about gosh knows what. Those 20 something males just crack me up with all their preening and remind me of Banty roosters. I wish I could walk over and point the set of 65ers and ask if they were done using them so I could get my sets of bicep curls in but........not quite there yet! lol

It has been really crowded lately but it is nice when you do see the "newbies" continue to show up : ) Been there and I figured my BF and I would only last a month, maybe two at the most of going to the gym. Come March it will be one year that we have been going! It was hard, but I've come to embrace this lifestyle change. I will still admit it's tough but I am happy to finally be this fit!

And it is especially nice to get another NSV moment this week where someone comes up to me and asked if I was a personal trainer because they had some questions he'd like to ask me! : ) Woot!!!
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I just CAN'T HANDLE the amount of people at my gym anymore. All of these new people with NY resolutions need to GTFO of my gym.

I'm really just kidding, I'm glad people are trying to be healthier and change their lifestyles. But cmon, I can't even hop on a frikkin treadmill anymore and my gym is always packed. >.<

ha same here! its so annoying...i have to wait to use machines and free weights. i've ended up making it a game...laughing at how week by week the crowd thins out. Not trying to be rude to the people trying to be healthier but its annoying that January 1st the gym is packed...and by March it has noticeable thinned out a lot.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Check dependency on treadmill. Should be able to walk/run outside on your own by now.

I would much prefer doing my cardio outside but the high temperature this week was about 12 degrees with the windchill at 10 below, not exactly safe being outside longer than 10-15 mins

I did 5 miles twice this week in 11 degrees, then I walked 4 and a half miles round trip in it, with 20 mph sustained winds, in the dark...

but im in training so - yeah - i get your point - if you dont really feel pressure to make progress during the winter, you can totally go harder in spring.

im just... i really cant wait for summer and if i work as hard as possible now - i cant even imagine what i'll be capable of by summertime..

...but i daydream about it all the time.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Just curious: have any of you whiners gone up to the person and asked if you could work in/ see how many sets they have left? I get peeved when I see the squat rack and power cage being used, but I need to get my squats in, so I approach them and see how long it is before I can lift. I never have wait more than 10 minutes this way, and I'm happy to help anybody want to do full-ROM squats with good form.

And, in the case of cardio equipment, one can simply "lunge walk" behind everybody and scope their remaining time :P

yeah.

but he always points to his phone like cant you see im on the phone why are you talking to me. I think next time I'll just start unweighting his barbell while he sits there. or at least reracking his weights, everytime i get to the squat rack and it looks like a dyslexic gorilla tried to match up the blocks, i KNOW THAT *kitten* WAS THERE
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    but he always points to his phone like cant you see im on the phone why are you talking to me. I think next time I'll just start unweighting his barbell while he sits there. or at least reracking his weights, everytime i get to the squat rack and it looks like a dyslexic gorilla tried to match up the blocks, i KNOW THAT *kitten* WAS THERE
    :laugh: :laugh: