PANACEA study: eating meat promotes weight gain

Options
In a large study called PANACEA, with hundreds of thousands of men and women over multiple countries participating, people who ate meat gained the most weight, even adjusting for calories consumed.

This three-minute video by Dr. Michael Greger (a physician) explains:
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/meat-and-weight-gain-in-the-panacea-study/

The strongest weight gain was observed for poultry.

Further context is provided in this blog post:
http://nutritionfacts.org/2013/01/22/poultry-paunch-meat-weight-gain/

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    That's funny, I eat chicken nearly every day since I have been going on this weight loss/health journey. Those fattening chickens helped me lose 30 lbs so far…
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Large studies are usually bogus
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    What???
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    All those percentiles and quartiles and control groups, observational data gathering,epidemiological studies, food questionnaires all that concise undisputable factual stuff makes my head explode.:happy:
  • Topher1978
    Options
    And the creator of the www is a hardcore vegan advocate, which indicates he is a full fledged quack.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    MMMM chicken! Is that why chicken hawks and honey badgers are so obese?
    LOL maybe it's the chicken's revenge.

So a roasted chicken breast has 170 calories w/ 25 grams of fat what is this fat inducing property?

Since eggs are the opposite of chickens can they make you underweight?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    One of the commenters says the subjects were just asked to recount their caloric consumption for the study? Which people are notoriously horrible at.

Anecdote time! I eat a lot of meat. My friend eats dairy free vegetarian with frutarian leanings (She avoids grains too). She weighs a lot less than I do, but she also eats unbelievably low cal. Its pretty much all vegetables and fruit, with the vegetables maybe having some kind of fat added to them sometimes. So like, 500 cals of oil, lets say (I doubt it s anywhere near that much) and 800 calories of veggies and fruit. So yeah. She weighs less than me. But I'm pretty sure its not because I eat meat. Per se.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    And the creator of the www is a hardcore vegan advocate, which indicates he is a full fledged quack.
    And a liar.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Thats it I'm not going to digest food anymore!

*Designs photsynthetic skin.

Mwahahahahah suckas!
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    *grabs water and relaxing to watch debate*

(P.S supporter of a plant-based diet. Personally, I minimizes animal products for the sake of getting healthier.)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Let's see, this study relied on SELF REPORTED food intake and SELF REPORTED weigh-ins. So basically, every few years they sent out surveys to a few hundred thousand people to ask them about exactly what they've eaten the entire time, and how much they've weighed. It was done by mail, the researchers didn't even have physical contact with the subjects.

Certainly can't have any kind of real conclusions based on that. The actual researchers didn't do anything other than take what they were told. I bet if I wandered through a couple thousand public profiles on this site I could make a case for any food to cause weight gain. It's all totally correlative, and weakly correlative at best.

Plus I'm amused that this study is 3 years old, and this guy is just getting around to it now, acting like it's breaking news. Also, anytime someone talks about a study without actually linking to the study (he just kept linking back to his own video, over and over,) that person loses all credibility to me.

The actual study, if you care to read it: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/92/2/398.full

Was there a difference in weight? Yes, measured in GRAMS per YEAR. :huh: So if you ate 100 extra calories a day in meat, you would weigh 14 grams more than a person who didn't eat those 100 calories a day of meat after a year. Um, ok. For the Americans, 14 grams is about half an ounce.

Yes, EVERYBODY PANIC, you might gain 1 pound in 32 years by eating an extra 100 calories of meat a day... :noway:
  • neanderthin
    Options
    In a large study called PANACEA, with hundreds of thousands of men and women over multiple countries participating, people who ate meat gained the most weight, even adjusting for calories consumed.

This three-minute video by Dr. Michael Greger (a physician) explains:
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/meat-and-weight-gain-in-the-panacea-study/

The strongest weight gain was observed for poultry.

Further context is provided in this blog post:
    http://nutritionfacts.org/2013/01/22/poultry-paunch-meat-weight-gain/
    I can't believe they use that study to support a vegan diet, it is about as useless as it can get. I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face looking upon the audience regardless of how gullible they are, now I feel like I have to wash my hands. lol
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Bet they didn't bother to measure body fat vs lean mass in the participants though.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Bet they didn't bother to measure body fat vs lean mass in the participants though.
    Hard to do that through the mail, once every 5 years. I can't remember what I ate last Tuesday let alone March 18 etc.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Another worthless, ridiculous "study" propagated by somebody with an agenda.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Lol a "study" that relies on questionaires and not actual mean measurements and the OP concludes that meat is the issue for promoting weight gain?

So let's see here, we (the human race) have been eating meat since.......................well human origin. Native Americans ate buffalo. Farmers raised chickens and pigs. I could go on and on. But when did obesity start? When we started eating meat? Hahahahaha, what a ****ty way to try to demonize carnivores.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Let's see, this study relied on SELF REPORTED food intake and SELF REPORTED weigh-ins. So basically, every few years they sent out surveys to a few hundred thousand people to ask them about exactly what they've eaten the entire time, and how much they've weighed. It was done by mail, the researchers didn't even have physical contact with the subjects.

Certainly can't have any kind of real conclusions based on that. The actual researchers didn't do anything other than take what they were told. I bet if I wandered through a couple thousand public profiles on this site I could make a case for any food to cause weight gain. It's all totally correlative, and weakly correlative at best.

Plus I'm amused that this study is 3 years old, and this guy is just getting around to it now, acting like it's breaking news. Also, anytime someone talks about a study without actually linking to the study (he just kept linking back to his own video, over and over,) that person loses all credibility to me.

The actual study, if you care to read it: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/92/2/398.full

Was there a difference in weight? Yes, measured in GRAMS per YEAR. :huh: So if you ate 100 extra calories a day in meat, you would weigh 14 grams more than a person who didn't eat those 100 calories a day of meat after a year. Um, ok. For the Americans, 14 grams is about half an ounce.

Yes, EVERYBODY PANIC, you might gain 1 pound in 32 years by eating an extra 100 calories of meat a day... :noway:

^^and this is why people should due some due diligence before they believe an article posted on some person, with an agenda's, website.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Lets do a "study" where one group eats baked and grilled chicken, and the other eats deep fried and processed "nugget" chicken and see if chicken is the problem.

eta: for the record I do not eat meat but of all the things to blame weight gain on I think this is a dumb one. What I would be willing to believe is that people who make fried or sugary-barbeque-sauced meat and dino chicken nuggets a staple of their diet gain more weight than people who prepare it healthily, just like broccoli vs broccoli smothered in cheese.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options

What??
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat for moral reason but this "study" is obviously full of shizer.