Anybody else here with social anxiety?

Options
13»

Replies

• shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that a long time ago. Looking back I think a combination of situations and just life in general pushed me to "get over" my social anxiety. Don't get me wrong, I still get EXTREMELY tense and emotional in a lot of situations. But I've found that if I psych myself up before hand and try to get excited about something it gets easier, or I bring a buddy. Also, I've been working in the food industry for the past 9 years. When I first started I wanted to quit every shift because I felt so stupid and scared all of the time. But repetition and eventually getting to a "I just don't CARE" point helped. You could also try talking with a doctor about trying medication. I was on Celexa and some other 'use as needed' med for panic attacks. They work...kind of. But after 2 years I decided to pretend they were my training wheels and got off of them, and thankfully in my case it worked out that way. Once off of them I felt more confident in most situations and better understood how my body could function in stressful situations. I wish you luck. It's a tough road, but don't ever feel alone or stupid. MOST people get anxious in social settings, some just play it off better than others. <3
  • pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    School was the worst time for me. There aren't many teachers who seemed to understand at all, and I feel that the education system undervalues introverts.

I have improved somewhat as I have gotten older, small things definitely helped my confidence. Getting my licence, getting a job, etc, however I still have panic attacks sometimes and I don't go to many places on my own. I have in the last year managed to go to the corner shop by myself which is a great achievement for me! I also, for whatever reason, seem to do better in crisis situations - when I need to help someone else.

From everything that I have read from other sufferers though, it's always going to be a very individual journey and you're going to have to try and experiment with what works best for you. Breathing exercises sometimes help me to control the panic, however therapy was not my 'thing' - I didn't respond well at all. I also don't find a lot of self help stuff very helpful, but many others have achieved a lot of success!

One suggestion I saw, was to LOOK at yourself in the mirror and talk to yourself every day. Look around until you find a solution that you're comfortable with - maybe even go to see your doctor :) Good luck!
  • leotardbanshee
    leotardbanshee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have it. And let me tell you…. Using alcohol is not the way to self medicate. My therapist taught me some breathing techniques that help. There are positive coping methods out there :)
  • leotardbanshee
    leotardbanshee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I generally get anxiety at stores or Airports the dmv etc. One exercise my therapist told me about is sensory. Bringing your thoughts to the present moment by observing with all 5 senses. What do I taste touch hear feel see. Realizing you are in the present forgetting worries about past and future. Eckhart tolle writes a lot about living in the present moment and his work is uplifting :)
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yep. Therapy--started for other issues--has helped amazingly. But I feel like I wasted years (and, obviously, so much money) with a bunch of previous therapists, sometimes because they weren't able to guide me to what we needed to talk about and sometimes because I was not willing to do the work necessary to discover and discuss the roots of my anxiety. I still struggle with it, but am making progress and feel very hopeful that anxiety won't be such a presence in my future as it has been in my past.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've had it since a child (I'm in my mid 40's now) and it sucks.

I hate social situations, cancel at the last minute, cancel on the few friends I have. In fact I really don't have any friends. I never had many friends as a child and people generally think I'm ignorant - but I'm not - just crushingly shy! Also lost my wife (and child) because of it.

Counseling was a waste of time and Mirtazapine hasn't helped,so I just muddle on.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    my social anxiety was never crippling (i.e. prevented me me from critical life functions) but it just made life hell. I was a painfully shy child and teen, and only started really learning how to talk to ppl comfortably as a late teen/young adult.

regular exercise and the physical/mental/emotion wellness that comes along with it has been the most effective treatment for everything that's ailed me, including depression and anxiety. i think just feeling better about myself in general is what dialed back the SA. i still have my moments, and i'm still an introvert and occasional wallflower, but i'm not getting pegged as 'the shy girl' anymore, which is cool.

also there is this herb i know about that they say works incredibly well for SA, but it's not FDA approved...
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yes I suffer from it. I've been taking medication and it has helped I haven't had a true panic attack for a while but really I still avoid situations out of fear of having a panic attack and messing up my "good" run of time. It's hard people really don't understand it. I also suffer from Ménière's disease and too often I can easily escape situations by blaming the Ménière's for not feeling well etc. it has made it all to easy to avoid going out.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I hate my anxiety. I'm able to look calm and collected on the outside but the inside I feel soooo awkward.
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading. I have debilitating social anxiety. And I"m looking for any kind of ideas to help me escape this prison.
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    A majority of you don’t know me in real life. But for those that do probably don’t know this. I suffer from anxiety. It makes it really hard to talk to and be around people. Lately, it’s been getting worse and I can’t spend full weeks at school without getting anxious and having to skip class and not even go on some days .
    Being around people is a lot or for a long time is really exhausting and takes a lot out of me. Most people I physically cannot talk to or hold a conversation with....
    I start blushing uncontrollably when I get anxious. I hate being in a classroom or a setting where there is a lot of light, and people. I do not like being recognized, and love sitting all the way in the back away from people that like to participate a lot and from the fear of being called on..
    Anybody else going through similar stuff? Any remedies?

I spent many years this way without even realizing it. I made up my mind one day when i started a new job that i would "fake it till i made it". And it has worked. I still repeat that to myself in situations to this day. Its been 5 years and i am so much better than i ever was before. Your mind will believe whatever you tell it. Just remember "Fake it 'till ya make it!" I faked confidence. I faked comfortablilty. I faked it all. And now, I HAVE IT ALL! woo hoo!
  • Wpatart
    Wpatart Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I can totally relate, I have not left the house in 3 months (no joke).
    I can tell you from experience that if you give in to it it will take over your life and become more difficult to overcome.
    I'm so sorry you are going through this but I must say I feel a little better knowing that I am not the only one out there.
    Best of luck to you, don't give up!
  • chilicoco
    chilicoco Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump to read later