How do I lift heavy!??! Help please!!

Replies

• keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    OP - you asked about lifting heavy. You have only taken the advice given by those at the start of their 'journey'. You have ignored the advice provided by people who have visible and tangible results after years of effort. I'm curious about the obvious reasons that you dislike the forums, because threads like this are the reasons that *I* dislike the forums.

So, people who have been around a while maybe don't put as much effort into putting a flourish on their advice. There are a million threads like this one and it gets super disheartening to put effort in and try to share knowledge and get ignored in favor of someone who says the way to lift heavy is body weight and 15 pound dumbbells.

I'm sure this observation will reinforce your distaste for the forums, but someone really needed to bring to your attention what you've done here, and how that contributes to the 'mood' in the forums.

This is a 115 lb, 21 year old gir, who is new to this. Body weight and 15's may be heavy for her. My guess is that push ups would be hard for her and a pull up just would not happen. We aren't all bad *kitten* like you!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    My 2 cents worth is, for females toning, I'd say max weight that you can still do 15 to 20 reps.

If you can do more than 20 reps, it's too light.

If you can't do at least 12 to 15, then it's too heavy.

HUH?

Noooooooooooooooo............
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Bump
  • keith0373
    Starting Strength 3x5 - if you are a woman eating within a deficit with the goal of not only getting stronger but cutting fat. StrongLifts is the same program, essentially, but 5x5 (5 sets of 5 reps) and poses a little more difficulty the further you get in (the heavier you go) if you are still eating in a deficit. You'll hit walls/stalls and it gets frustrating. So I recommend the SS3x5 approach for those new to lifting. A barbell and some plates, a bench, that's all you need. A squat rack is most helpful though as you lift heavier weight. Compound movements are really the best start as they employ more muscle groups. Learn 'em, perfect 'em, then add on some accessory work. And heavy is subjective - I can squat 175# right now....I couldn't six months ago. I want to squat 225#. You gotta start somewhere and work at a load that's relative to your strength and ability.

I would listen to this.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    This is a 115 lb, 21 year old girl, who is new to this. Body weight and 15's may be heavy for her. My guess is that push ups would be hard for her and a pull up just would not happen. We aren't all bad *kitten* like you!

How interesting that you interpreted my remark as critical of her physical capabilities.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Thanks, I'll try the fitness buddy app and see how I go with body weight while I save for the free weights.

50kg is my natural weight that I've always been until last year when I got a desk job and my diet went loco. I have a very small frame so at 50kg I look normal. It's hard to explain on a site like this because you'd have to see me to agree so I generally don't discuss my weight goals outside my friend list if I can avoid it.

You may find bodyweight exercises are all you need. There are folks who see calistenics as the poor relation of strength building but that's their choice.

Have a look at the website: "You are your own gym" and I fully recommend a training manual called "Convict Conditioning". For me personally I find bodyweight more fun and it doesn't have to be too easy - plenty of ways to keep progressing and with a small financial outlay.
  • sadrac4683
    sadrac4683 Posts: 80 Member
    Look up the website Myfreetrainers.com. You can see choose different options from wether you have access to a gym or not. It will give you different ideas for workouts as well.
  • angel101netta
    angel101netta Posts: 152 Member
    Bump for later
  • keith0373
    This is a 115 lb, 21 year old girl, who is new to this. Body weight and 15's may be heavy for her. My guess is that push ups would be hard for her and a pull up just would not happen. We aren't all bad *kitten* like you!

How interesting that you interpreted my remark as critical of her physical capabilities.

I didn't think you were being critical of her abilities. I think you don't have any idea of what her abilities are and were being critical depite your lack of information.
  • BurtHuttz
    I didn't think you were being critical of her abilities. I think you don't have any idea of what her abilities are and were being critical depite your lack of information.

Into PM so as not to derail this thread.
  • Kmenczynski88
    Kmenczynski88 Posts: 70 Member

I dont. Yes, "heavy" is relative, so body weight might be "heavy" for her. However, the thread is about lifting heavy. I don't know anyone who considers a rep range 15-20 heavy, as you're not going to have much strength gain.

If you're purely interested in "Lifting Heavy" then choose a beginner strength/hypertrophy program. SS, Stronglifts, Wendler 5/3/1 etc. google them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    This is a 115 lb, 21 year old gir, who is new to this. Body weight and 15's may be heavy for her. My guess is that push ups would be hard for her and a pull up just would not happen. We aren't all bad *kitten* like you!

As a rather wimpy, non-athletic, 102 pound 20 year old girl, I was bench pressing more than 50 pounds in a college phys ed class. We don't know what we're capable of until we push ourselves. Too bad I didn't keep with it and let myself become even more wimpy. :grumble:

I :heart: Stronglifts, but one of the books (New Rules, Starting Strength) would be good to understand the basics.

I bought an inexpensive $100 bench and barbell set from Sears that came with about 80 pounds of weights, and added more plates as I needed them. If I weren't so impatient, I would have scoured flea markets, yard sales, thrift shops and Craigslist or the newspaper classifieds for used equipment instead.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member

As a rather wimpy, non-athletic, 102 pound 20 year old girl, I was bench pressing more than 50 pounds in a college phys ed class. We don't know what we're capable of until we push ourselves. Too bad I didn't keep with it and let myself become even more wimpy. :grumble:

I :heart: Stronglifts, but one of the books (New Rules, Starting Strength) would be good to understand the basics.

I bought an inexpensive $100 bench and barbell set from Sears that came with about 80 pounds of weights, and added more plates as I needed them. If I weren't so impatient, I would have scoured flea markets, yard sales, thrift shops and Craigslist or the newspaper classifieds for used equipment instead.

It is all relative. My bootcamp instructor put out 20 lb weights for us to do squats and overhead presses with, i felt like my arms were going to break off doing the overhead press, i used all my might but I am just not strong enough yet. I also have a hard time doing push ups, I can do like 5 modified and all the blood rushes to my face and i make terrible grunting sounds! so I am glad that some of the people on here understand that.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Shop Craigs list you can get a lot of equipment for cheap especially after the holidays
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    It is all relative. My bootcamp instructor put out 20 lb weights for us to do squats and overhead presses with, i felt like my arms were going to break off doing the overhead press, i used all my might but I am just not strong enough yet. I also have a hard time doing push ups, I can do like 5 modified and all the blood rushes to my face and i make terrible grunting sounds! so I am glad that some of the people on here understand that.

Everyone on here understands that people are at different levels.

I had a hard time doing 30 pounds on overhead press when I first got my weights, and when I went from 30 to 35, I felt like my arms were going to fall off. BUT... I continued to add more weight and I'm now doing 70 pounds for OHP. That's the point many of us are getting at... you're going to get stronger and you're going to want to be able to challenge yourself. Why buy a set of dumbbells if you're going to outgrow them in a few week?

I've never done a bootcamp class, but from what I can gather, they're high reps... more cardio/endurance. Everyone is going to need lighter weights under those conditions. But since she's specifically asked how to lift heavy, that's the advice I'm going to give.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    I am 54 years old, still overweight, and have never picked up anything in my life that I didn't have to. I started lifting with a 15 pound barbell in mid October. Seriously that was all I could do. I have been adding weight since that day. Maybe not as fast as some, maybe more than others. I am getting strong and something that I told myself I couldn't do has changed my idea about saying "I can't."

This week, I did a 70 pound dead lift and upped my squats to 65 pounds. I am only just beginning. I am strong. If I can do it - anybody can. Some people have to start at the very beginning - but never say never! :drinker:
  • SueSlick
    SueSlick Posts: 268 Member
    bump...wanna read those links later
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    OP - you asked about lifting heavy. You have only taken the advice given by those at the start of their 'journey'. You have ignored the advice provided by people who have visible and tangible results after years of effort. I'm curious about the obvious reasons that you dislike the forums, because threads like this are the reasons that *I* dislike the forums.

So, people who have been around a while maybe don't put as much effort into putting a flourish on their advice. There are a million threads like this one and it gets super disheartening to put effort in and try to share knowledge and get ignored in favor of someone who says the way to lift heavy is body weight and 15 pound dumbbells.

I'm sure this observation will reinforce your distaste for the forums, but someone really needed to bring to your attention what you've done here, and how that contributes to the 'mood' in the forums.

There are some of us who have great visible and tangible results with bodyweight and 15 lb dumbbells. Just because YOU don't know how to deleverage exercises such that the resistance remains high as you progress doesn't mean that it isn't possible.

Granted this isn't the sort of bodyweight exercise people that give advice are usually referring to, but a lot of standard plate lifters do not acknowledge that it is even possible, when it very much is possible.
    Have a look at the website: "You are your own gym" and I fully recommend a training manual called "Convict Conditioning". For me personally I find bodyweight more fun and it doesn't have to be too easy - plenty of ways to keep progressing and with a small financial outlay.

Convict conditioning is terrible. Some of the progressions flat out don't work, and he takes an overly dogmatic approach. People who read CC often have to be deprogrammed to move beyond the beginner-intermediate stage because it gives such a bad frame of reference.

For books Overcoming Gravity and Building the Gymnast body are much better. Really though there are a lot of great resources on the web and on youtube.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Hello :)
    here is a different solution to your problem, often lifting heavy weight can hurt some people especially if they arn't cut out to be a lifter, so why not try this;

What is that supposed to mean? Its like the most nonsensical thing I've heard...

Do you mean you may hurt yourself if you are unaware how to lift with correct form? Or that some people just shouldn't lift?

There is some great advice here.....bodyweight exercises such as pushups, pullups, air squats, etc are a good place to start whilst saving. Build up a strong base with these. Things like starting strength, 5x5 stronglifts, New rules, etc are all good programmes to start with. I started heavy lifting in May last year doing stronglifts. Last week I deadlifted 104kg :) Heavy lifting is great for strength and looking and feeling better, IMO.
  • BurtHuttz
    There are some of us who have great visible and tangible results with bodyweight and 15 lb dumbbells. Just because YOU don't know how to deleverage exercises such that the resistance remains high as you progress doesn't mean that it isn't possible.

Granted this isn't the sort of bodyweight exercise people that give advice are usually referring to, but a lot of standard plate lifters do not acknowledge that it is even possible, when it very much is possible.

And there are apparently some of us who don't know what the term "lift heavy" means. *round of applause for YOU*