vegan diet?

Options

Replies

• jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

It's not a healthier diet than any other diet out there. It actually can be less healthy if you are not properly prepared and knowledgable about it.

Being vegan is much more than the diet. It's not using products with animal by products in them (most moisturizers for example), a lot of vitamins are out, cosmetics, clothing etc.

Don't go vegan for weight loss... go vegan for either your environmental or ethical reasons behind the meat industry.

Really do your research and decide whats best for you. There are a lot of foods that you would think are vegan that aren't. Jello, McDonalds Fries depending on which country you are in, etc./
    [/quote]

Some misinformation being spouted there... Vegan is not a healthier diet than any other diet out there? Really? It's not healthier than the watermelon, Atkins, Paleo, cabbage soup, etc. I would say that it is ONE OF the healthiest diets worldwide.

Don't go vegan for weight loss - do it for the environment or ethical reasons? How about do it for your health, weight loss, & the fact that it's much easier on your body than eating foods hard to digest like meat.

I agree to do your research, but looks like you need to do a bit more too! You do have some good advice mixed up with some bias opinions it looks like.

fyi - I am not vegan or vegetarian.
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    What is the didfference between vegan and vegetarian? If it is truly more of a "statement of ethical beliefs" to avoid all animal products, rather than just avoidance of eating meat, then vegans shouldn't get the flu vaccine (seeing as how chicken eggs are used in the production of the virus to make the vaccine.). I'm not sure I get it?

Most people in general shouldn't get it :P <- opinion

Humans are violent, mistreat animals & people alike. The most hateful creatures on earth by far! If you are going to eat meat, pay the extra money and get organic - that way there isn't any (or few as possible due to the environment) chemicals that are being heated up and altering your health.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    After many years being an off-and-on vegetarian, I went vegan very suddenly one night after watching a video about the dairy industry. You could wean yourself off in steps - red meat, chicken/pork, eggs/dairy - but I didn't find it difficult to just go "cold turkey" (hahahaha). Two and a half years and still going strong.

A vegan diet is great - good for the earth, good for the animals, good for other people, good for your soul - but it's not "healthy" by default. Just like there are omnivores who eat very healthfully, there are vegans who eat very unhealthfully. Oreos are vegan. French fries are vegan. Lots of dried pasta is vegan. It can be very easy to fall into the "it's vegan, so I can eat however much I want" trap, believe me - it's how I started as a fat vegan. If you stick to your calorie goal, this will be a non-issue.

It is important to do some research. It's not hard to get protein or other nutrients as a vegan, but you do need to know the best sources. Branch out and try new things - tofu, tempeh, seitan, soy curls, lentils, beans - it's all delicious and high protein and easy to find (hello, Amazon). Try new veggies and grains. Search around on ivu.org/recipes and try amazing vegan recipes from India, Africa and China. It doesn't have to be a boring lifestyle.

Research vegan sources of Vitamin D, calcium (in lots of leafy green veggies), iron (lentils are my favorite!) and B12 (easiest to supplement for this one. Commit to being vegan for 30 days - once you get the hang of it, it gets easier. I know that my soul is a lot happier since cutting animal products out of my life.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about vegan eating and living! Compassion is a wonderful choice to make :)
  • htzen
    htzen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have already heard about 5 people on this board say that "Veganism is a lifestyle, not a diet." and although I don't disagree, I do believe that people who are at least making an effort to be a more conscientious, compassionate person by eliminating meat/dairy products when they can and in a way that is convenient for them, is 100x better than someone who is making NO effort at all. Someone who makes no effort to be a conscious eater does so because they were raised to be a meat eater, they think there is nothing wrong with their meat loving diet, and they prefer to stay ignorant and not think about how badly the animals were treated in the slaughtering process. So even if someone only partakes in a Vegan lifestyle 50% of the time, they are still a part of the small percentage of people who are partaking in the elimination of the suffering of these animals. And to me there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Go at your own pace - do what feels right to YOU. The fact that someone is even debating going vegan is a feat to applaud!!
  • lunaleah
    lunaleah Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would say start slow, be semi-vegetarian, then strict vegetarian, then vegan. However becoming vegan doesn't gaurantee that you will lose weight, balance and portion sizes are the most important. I went vegan about 10 months ago and actually ended up gaining weight. I got lazy with with cutting out the processed fake meat products, breads, and pasta and ate too much of them. Another mistake people can make is to eat a lot of fried foods, processed sugary foods, and cover things with excess healthy fats and salt, none of which are healthy. For now I'm a gluten free vegetarian (pescetarian actually) and I eat dairy occasionally and I monitor my portions much more carefully thanks to mfp. It works great for me, but everyone is different, so listen to your body. Beans, lentils and grains like quinoa must become your best friends to maintain balance, especially for protein. Kale and spinach are packed with essential nutrients too. And Vitamins, Vitamins, Vitamins!!! Very very important.
    Also, be careful when buying soy products or protein powders, many claim to be lactose free yet a lot of them contain concentrated levels of *casein*, which is a harmful protein in cow's milk. Definitely cut out dairy if your main concern is animal welfare.

Summary: do a ton of research, limit processed items as much as possible, watch out for casein, eat lots of natural proteins, VITAMINS!, and try some new things ????
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Some misinformation being spouted there... Vegan is not a healthier diet than any other diet out there? Really? It's not healthier than the watermelon, Atkins, Paleo, cabbage soup, etc. I would say that it is ONE OF the healthiest diets worldwide.

Don't go vegan for weight loss - do it for the environment or ethical reasons? How about do it for your health, weight loss, & the fact that it's much easier on your body than eating foods hard to digest like meat.

Being vegan doesn't mean that you are or will be healthy. There are a lot of unhealthy vegans out there. You can also have a very healthy diet eating meat as well. You can be equally as healthy whether you are vegan or follow another diet (eat meat, pescatarian, vegetarian, etc).

I agree that it can be one of the healthiest diets out there provided you know what you are doing. You can very easily miss a lot of required nutrients in a vegan diet.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I have already heard about 5 people on this board say that "Veganism is a lifestyle, not a diet." and although I don't disagree, I do believe that people who are at least making an effort to be a more conscientious, compassionate person by eliminating meat/dairy products when they can and in a way that is convenient for them, is 100x better than someone who is making NO effort at all. Someone who makes no effort to be a conscious eater does so because they were raised to be a meat eater, they think there is nothing wrong with their meat loving diet, and they prefer to stay ignorant and not think about how badly the animals were treated in the slaughtering process. So even if someone only partakes in a Vegan lifestyle 50% of the time, they are still a part of the small percentage of people who are partaking in the elimination of the suffering of these animals. And to me there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Go at your own pace - do what feels right to YOU. The fact that someone is even debating going vegan is a feat to applaud!!

Your OPINION. I don't eat a lot of meat, personally, but it is because I think not eating meat is healthier than eating meat, NOT because I think there is something wring with eating meat. I would think that someone who does 50% vegan because they think animals are treated badly, then they are a 50% hypocrite. The world has enough of those already.
  • jjrichard83
    Options

Being vegan doesn't mean that you are or will be healthy. There are a lot of unhealthy vegans out there. You can also have a very healthy diet eating meat as well. You can be equally as healthy whether you are vegan or follow another diet (eat meat, pescatarian, vegetarian, etc).

I agree that it can be one of the healthiest diets out there provided you know what you are doing. You can very easily miss a lot of required nutrients in a vegan diet.

Yes! It doesn't matter if you are vegan or eat meat, if you are dumb with your diet - it can be very unhealthy. I know a lot of people who act like they are vegetarian and buy all that processed junk. You're right!

Although people who choose to go vegan (seriously) usually tend to remove processed junk from their diets too. It's hard to follow a true vegan diet and to eat crap. Although it is possible!
  • jjrichard83
    Options

Your OPINION. I don't eat a lot of meat, personally, but it is because I think not eating meat is healthier than eating meat, NOT because I think there is something wring with eating meat. I would think that someone who does 50% vegan because they think animals are treated badly, then they are a 50% hypocrite. The world has enough of those already.

Agree with both of you!

However I do think that there is something wrong with eating the meat that is produced now (factory farmed). If enough people do it (unless it's smoking weed) then it's no longer classified as wrong. The chemicals in the meat & carcinogens produced when cooked seem pretty wrong to me. Consuming fruits with high pesticides can also be "wrong" as far as heath is concerned. devils advocate on that...
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

You can miss a lot of nutrients in ANY diet.
  • mssassyo
    Options
    THIS INFO WAS VERY HELPFUL TO ME THANKS ....I AM JUST GETTING STARTED GOOD ...
  • missebees
    missebees Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Have you seen:
    Hungry for Change
    Food Matters
    or Food, Inc?
    These will give you the facts from experts who have studied health and diet.
    I recommend them.
  • htzen
    Options
    I'm sorry, but why do we even have to have labels like vegan? If someone chooses to go meat free 364 days of the year and slipped up and ate meat one time, is that really an issue? Would I not be considered "fully vegan" because the uniform I am forced to wear at work is made of wool?? Even though I made attempts to eliminate meat/dairy products in other areas of my life? You can call me a hypocrite all you want - I understand that everyone is on their own path in life and I don't expect to win every argument on the internet. It was my opinion yes, but it is unfortunate that your first thought was to personally attack my post, when I was just speaking in general. You can be an internet bully all you want, I am just here for the people who actually agree with what I have to say (and I know they're out there, even if they aren't speaking up)
    :)
  • htzen
    Options
    @Mactaffy84 - I'm sorry, but why do we even have to have labels like vegan? If someone chooses to go meat free 364 days of the year and slipped up and ate meat one time, is that really an issue? Would I not be considered "fully vegan" because the uniform I am forced to wear at work is made of wool?? Even though I made attempts to eliminate meat/dairy products in other areas of my life? You can call me a hypocrite all you want - I understand that everyone is on their own path in life and I don't expect to win every argument on the internet. It was my opinion yes, but it is unfortunate that your first thought was to personally attack my post, when I was just speaking in general. You can be an internet bully all you want, I am just here for the people who actually agree with what I have to say (and I know they're out there, even if they aren't speaking up)
    :)
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    I was vegan for one month. The first two or 3 weeks were amazing. I lost 5lbs, my skin glowed, I was hooked! But by the 4th week I found myself lacking energy, dizzy, feeling awful. My iron was low and I started eating meat again. My answer was to eat vegan a few days a week. I do that now and I get all the benefits of feeling great but still have plenty of energy
  • Tiabean86
    Tiabean86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the helpful people of this thread! I am on day one of veganism. I started by only buying "ethical" meat (which found out later is a bunch of bull if you are getting you meat from the grocery store...). Then I went to eat meat only a couple of time a week but ate eggs daily. And a few days ago I watched Vegucated (yup, I'm on that bandwagon now also lol). The past couple of days have been spent researching, seeing if I could do it on my budget (a huge hell yes, it is even cheaper at the end of it, meat is super expensive), talking to other vegan parents who are raising their kids vegan (and they have no health issues lol), and checking with my kids doctor and mine. Once I realized that it is ok for my kids health and such (nutritional yeast has that pesky B-12 in it) I then went through my beauty supplies. I got rid of the few that weren't and have already ordered the replacements from a website called 100% Pure. I can't waste what I have so I gave my meat and dairy items to a friend. Once you realize that no meat and dairy in the stores are produced humanly and see how it is done you can never really go back. I would love some fellow vegan friends on here for ideas and help. Please feel free to add me! Oh we are also gluten free due to Celaics.
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    I was vegan for one month. The first two or 3 weeks were amazing. I lost 5lbs, my skin glowed, I was hooked! But by the 4th week I found myself lacking energy, dizzy, feeling awful. My iron was low and I started eating meat again. My answer was to eat vegan a few days a week. I do that now and I get all the benefits of feeling great but still have plenty of energy

That was me too. However I altered my diet with the necessary changes (which happened to be more fat through nuts, seeds, etc). You can get your iron needs from plants too. It takes some getting used to- knowing the nutrients, but you'll never feel better.

Nice to see you found a happy medium though. Took a lot of research for me to figure out what works best.
  • earlswimsuit
    Options
    Yes! It is so good for many reasons! God slaughterhouses are awful are they not? Anyway, being vegan is super easy! Almond and soy milk are your new best friends....here's all the links you're gonna need for being vegan :smile: http://earlswimsuit.tumblr.com/educate

EDIT: For all of you that feel dizzy, tired etc.....you're obviously not getting the right nutrients otherwise you wouldn't feel that way
  • SlimFrederic
    Options
    I am a big fan of Rich Roll, a very well respected ultra distance athlete and a wellness advocate on behalf of plant-based nutrition, you might want to look him up and his book "Finding Ultra"
    http://www.richroll.com