I ate a lot of low fat crisps, is this a bad thing?

Options
I literally eat about 3-5 packets of weight watchers crisps a day, they are low calories and they're all I grab when I want a snack etc. Is this very bad? and if so, is there any other low calorie snacks that I could eat? I have a real bad snacking habit :/

Replies

• Gianna5587
    Gianna5587 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd had some low fat crisps in last night.. Instead I ate a big lump of cheese. Not good.

But if I did have them at home I wouldn't just eat them when I was having a massive craving, I probably would eat a packet or two, as you do, every day which I don't think is ideal.

Some will say as long as it fits into your calorie goal go for it, but I'd suggest mixing the snacks up a bit, get some varied nutrition.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    When it comes to crisps - I tend to look at the Sodium levels rather than calories, the Sodium makes the difference in retained water weight.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I literally eat about 3-5 packets of weight watchers crisps a day, they are low calories and they're all I grab when I want a snack etc. Is this very bad? and if so, is there any other low calorie snacks that I could eat? I have a real bad snacking habit :/

They likely don't have any nutrients other than refined carbs: little fibre, vitamins, minerals or healthy fat so should really fall under the maximum 10% of daily calories as junk. Five packs of low calorie crisps is not low calorie overall, you are fooling yourself, and you may find you are eating a lot of salt and sugar. If they are 75 cals a pack you are having up to 375 calories, if they are 100 cals a pack you are having up to 500 calories. Clearly low calorie snacks are not satisfying you, so maybe think about snacks that are not low calorie but moderating your serving size? Nuts and seeds are generally very satiating due to the protein, healthy fats and fibre they contain.

IMO ask yourself what is wrong with the rest of your diet that you need to snack on junk that often, are you eating the recommended servings from all the food groups or an appropriate substitute so that you get a balance of ALL the nutrients you need for health? Are you eating a balance of protein, fats and low GI carbs to keep you full and your blood glucose stable?
  • twilighter95
    Options
    I haven't really been looking at the nutritional value of food :/ I ate a bowl of cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, two clementines and a carrot with lunch.... I would come home from school and snack eat then have dinner which is usually a ready meal and then snack eat a few hours later.... I'm not sure about nutrition in these food items... what kind of nutrition values should I be aiming for?
  • BByer
    BByer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The crisps are very empty in nutrients. Try and snack on fibrous/high water content green vegetables. (Celery, Spinach, Zucchini, Lettuce...ect.)