Can anyone look at my diary? Hellllp!

Options
Hi everyone!

Can someone take a look at my food diary and maybe help me out? I've been eating and exercising since January 1st and have lost three pounds but that was just the first week. These last two weeks I haven't lost anything at all, I'm actually UP a half pound.

I know what someone is going to say, "Give it more than two weeks!" I AM giving it more than two weeks, I just want someone to check it out and maybe give me some hints on what I could be doing better food-wise. It's discouraging to get on the scale and see nothing lost.

I haven't cheated with logging and have been under my calories almost every day. I've had a few days where I ate something "bad" (pizza, a piece of birthday cake etc) but I made sure it was within my calories for that day. I don't want to deprive myself. I also exercise (step aerobics at least four times a week, burns tons of cals!) so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. :(

I haven't done any lifting or workouts with weights, it's been all straight cardio...that's what I enjoy. If anyone can look and help me out I would really appreciate it. :) (Also, I know I am over on my sodium on most days. It's very hard for me to stay under.)

Replies

• jgrode1984
    Options
    Have you checked your bmr and tdee calculations to make sure you are consuming enough calories?
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Do you drink plenty of water each day as you're not logging it.? Also would be a good thing to monitor your sodium intake, as these two combined could mean you are holding on to water weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    As you have a relatively small amount to lose, you should be eating your exercise calories back.

its great that you love cardio, but strength trainig is really good for fat burning and preserving muscle, so you should look to add some to your routine.
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    If not, go to www.fat2fitradio.com and figure your bmr. You are probably eating at or below it which will allow you to looses weight at first, but then send you into a plateau... Try eating around 1800 cal for a week or two. And see if you get a difference. You can readjust your numbers after you loose 10 lbs.

Also, get some weight lifting in there even if it something as simple as push ups and lunges. Building lean muscle will burn more fat than cardio anyway. A good mix of cardio and strength training is what all of us need, and don't worry about bulking up!
  • dolly3186
    dolly3186 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I sometimes eat my exercise calories back and sometimes I don't. Just depends on my mood and the day.

Also, yes, I drink TONS of water. I heart water! Lol! I don't log it because I drink it literally all day long. I will start watching my sodium though, I'm always over on that.

I have been on the boards a lot and always see the terms tdee and bmr. I haven't figured out mine yet but I think I'll do that.

I also work at a desk job, I'm literally sitting for eight hours a day. I can sometimes squeeze a walk in at lunchtime, but even that's hard since I work for a lawyers conference center and there's a lot of meetings, cancelations etc. I have to grab lunch when I can. After work I do cardio like I said, and then on weekends I'm very active as I have two small kids I chase after and take them out to do fun things.

I'll try incorporating some strength into my routine as well. Gaahhh, still it's so frustrating though!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I only went back 5 days but it seems you are netting LESS than 1000 calories most days. That is your problem. You need to eat more. Your calorie goal is a NET goal.
  • dolly3186
    dolly3186 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I only went back 5 days but it seems you are netting LESS than 1000 calories most days. That is your problem. You need to eat more. Your calorie goal is a NET goal.

A few people have told me that same thing. I've just been programmed basically my whole life (I've been overweight even as a teen) that eating back food after you exercise is a no-no. I'm going to try it this week, eating back all my exercise cals and see what happens from here on out. Thanks!
  • AV1978az
    AV1978az Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Not only that but you need to eat the right kinds of things. Rule of thumb is if it comes in a box, don't eat it. If it came from the middle of the grocery store, its processed crap.

You need more greens in your diet followed up with a balanced protein and some healthy fats.

Keep your Sodium and Sugar in check. Sodium should be no more than 2000g a day and Sugar, for a woman no more than 35g. Refined process sugars = BAD. Fruit Sugars = Good

You can friend me if you like. My diary is pretty complete and good to follow.

As someone who has struggled with being overweight all their life i can tell you from experience that eating too few calories can basically put you at a stand still. I've been working out 7 months and have only lost 45 or so lbs total. I've lost INCHES though with a combination of Cardio and Strength training.

You might hit up Craigslist and see if you can find a bootcamp like the one i am in. I go 60 minutes a day 5 days a week and its a different work out every day. You will also find that the support of your peers is way better than going to any gym.