Homemade granola bars

Options
I love granola bars, but can very much do without all that excess sugar, thank you very much-- so I began hunting down a good granola bar recipe and came across this one. Thought I'd share =]

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/granola-bars-recipe/index.html

Replies

• sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    gonna try it! Thanks alot!
  • OneMission
    OneMission Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thank you for searching & sharing!!!
  • bksteve26
    bksteve26 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • rlsluvr
    rlsluvr Posts: 130
    Options
    bump
  • twonabunny
    Options
    A friend of mine told me about Agave Nectar. I replaced my sugar with it. I am pre-diabetic and this stuff is 25% sweeter than sugar so you use much less and your body can process it better than sugar. I haven't made any granola bars with it yet, but it may be worth a try. Most grocery stores sell it in the sugar aisle.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    anyone figure out the nutritional info yet?
  • LadySavage
    Options
    yw everyone =]
    i haven't found nutritional info yet, i was hunting for that, actually. i figured even if you don't want to use the honey or salt and leave it completely natural it's still tons better than store bought stuff. besides which, we can all do without preservatives
  • LadySavage
    Options
    A friend of mine told me about Agave Nectar. I replaced my sugar with it. I am pre-diabetic and this stuff is 25% sweeter than sugar so you use much less and your body can process it better than sugar. I haven't made any granola bars with it yet, but it may be worth a try. Most grocery stores sell it in the sugar aisle.

i've never heard of this; have you bought it yet? what store did you find it at?
  • NaeNae50
    NaeNae50 Posts: 2
    Options
    I found Alton Browns recipe last weekend. I left out the brown sugar and added just a touch more honey. Also added dried unsweetened cranberries and sunflower seeds. :smile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Here is my favorite homemade granola bar recipe. My family LOVES them!

My recipe... (I used whole wheat, less sugar and honey, more spice, less oil, and added applesauce and PB and omitted the raisins. You could also add some chocolate chips, nuts, or other dried fruit.)

Here's the link to the original recipe and I *tweaked* it to lower the cals and sugar.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Playgroup-Granola-Bars/Detail.aspx

Jess's Homemade Playgroup Granola Bars (listed in MFP database)

2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup wheat germ
    2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (optional)
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg, beaten
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 cup applesauce
    1/4 cup natural chunky peanut butter (optional)
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
    In a large bowl, mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar, wheat germ, spices, and salt. In medium bowl, mix together the honey, egg, oil, applesauce, PB and vanilla. Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Stir well or mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. (I layered the pan w/ foil and sprayed Pam on a spatula to pack it down)

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut. (I just took the foil out of the pan and cut them into 24 bars w/ a pizza cutter.)

Nutrition Facts
    Jess's Homemade - Playgroup Granola Bars

Servings: 1 bar 1 container (24 bars ea.)

Calories 85
    Sodium 3 mg
    Total Fat 3 g
    Potassium 25 mg
    Saturated 2 g
    Total Carbs 14 g
    Dietary Fiber 2 g
    Sugars 4 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 2 g
    Cholesterol 8 mg
    Vitamin A 1%
    Calcium 1%
    Vitamin C 1%
    Iron 3%
  • twonabunny
    Options

i've never heard of this; have you bought it yet? what store did you find it at?

My whole family loves it. It tastes like really sweet honey. I use it in my oatmeal and in my drinks. I even put it in plain yogurt to give it a little sweetnes. I'm in northern Illinois so Walmart, Jewel, and Woodmans sell it here. But most chain grocery stores sell it.
  • Lululuv
    Lululuv Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great thread everyone. I am excited to try a couple of these recipes!

Not to change the subject...but has anyone used fruit they have dried in a dehydrator when making homemade granola bars? I got one this past christmas and just love it!! None of those crazy preservatives you find in store bought fruit (what exactly is used to make those banana chips so chipy?) Also I have been making great lean beef Jerky for a good snack!!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    bump :happy:
  • Fabulocity
    Fabulocity Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's sells it--also I have found it in most grocery stores. If you can't find it, ask the store staff. I have also found it at Target and Walmart Superstores.
  • Fabulocity
    Options

• Fabulocity
    Options
    Trader Joe's sells it. I have also found it at both Walmart and Target superstores.
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    Here is my favorite homemade granola bar recipe. My family LOVES them!

My recipe... (I used whole wheat, less sugar and honey, more spice, less oil, and added applesauce and PB and omitted the raisins. You could also add some chocolate chips, nuts, or other dried fruit.)

Here's the link to the original recipe and I *tweaked* it to lower the cals and sugar.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Playgroup-Granola-Bars/Detail.aspx

Jess's Homemade Playgroup Granola Bars (listed in MFP database)

2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup wheat germ
    2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (optional)
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg, beaten
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 cup applesauce
    1/4 cup natural chunky peanut butter (optional)
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
    In a large bowl, mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar, wheat germ, spices, and salt. In medium bowl, mix together the honey, egg, oil, applesauce, PB and vanilla. Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Stir well or mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. (I layered the pan w/ foil and sprayed Pam on a spatula to pack it down)

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut. (I just took the foil out of the pan and cut them into 24 bars w/ a pizza cutter.)

Nutrition Facts
    Jess's Homemade - Playgroup Granola Bars

Servings: 1 bar 1 container (24 bars ea.)

Calories 85
    Sodium 3 mg
    Total Fat 3 g
    Potassium 25 mg
    Saturated 2 g
    Total Carbs 14 g
    Dietary Fiber 2 g
    Sugars 4 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 2 g
    Cholesterol 8 mg
    Vitamin A 1%
    Calcium 1%
    Vitamin C 1%
    Iron 3%

I made this without the wheat germ and peanut butter (don't have the former and don't like the latter). I also used splenda brown sugar blend instead of straight brown sugar to try and cut a few calories. Interestingly enough, by calculating it on spark recipes, I got 99.6 calories per bar (I was expecting less since I cut 2 ingredients and replaced one with a lower calorie alternative). But they are so yummy! I may do another batch with dried fruit!
  • trinks114
    trinks114 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thx, can't wait to try this recipe.
  • chelleim
    chelleim Posts: 78
    Options
    Sounds great! Thanks for the recipe! I cannot stand store-bought granola bars.