portion control or right food

Options
Okay, so I can only concentrate on one thing. Which should it be? Eating the right kind of food OR eating the right size portion size? I am a big stomach guy for instance I can eat 1 1/2 large pizza by my self. Last night we had Chinese and I ate enough to gain 6 lbs. more after dinner, however I lost 3 lbs of it over night. So weigh in and help me decide what should I concentrate on next month, Food or Portions?

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Right kind of food: you won't get fat eating piles of low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables unless you have a metabolic disorder. There are plenty of healthy foods which can be combined with the piles of fruits and veggies to fill you up - lean meats, oily fish, beans, lentils, seeds especially ground flax or chia.
  • kosuski
    kosuski Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I would start with portion control... once you have that down you can focus on healthier foods. I also think once your watching your portions you'll be surprised that you start choosing healthier foods to help you feel full longer.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    For me, I'd go for portion control. I'd find it easier to say "I can eat anything I want, just not too much of it", rather than have a list of foods that were banned.
  • jraneel
    Options
    Definantely portion control.:smile:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Both?

Eat nutritious stuff most of the time and exercise portion control on high calorie foods.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Right kind of food: you won't get fat eating piles of low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables unless you have a metabolic disorder. There are plenty of healthy foods which can be combined with the piles of fruits and veggies to fill you up - lean meats, oily fish, beans, lentils, seeds especially ground flax or chia.

You can get fat eating too much of *anything*
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    portion control (calorie deficit) only until you drop most of whatever body fat you are trying to lose, then when your body fat gets low enough then the quality and macro counts come more into play along with the calorie deficit
  • Countryslove
    Options
    I do portion control. I have already given up caffeine, sugar, and cigarettes so I figure I am not giving up the foods I enjoy eating. I just eat less of them.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Lol @ lost 3 lbs of it!

I would start with portion control.. Limit that pizza and chinese!! HAVE it, just don't abuse it. I would say have a couple of slices of pizza, and a nice large salad full of greens and some balsamic. Trust me.. that gets you full!!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    If I had to say one or the other, I'd go with portion control. Making drastic changes to what you eat is more likely to lead to failure. Maybe start with less pizza and top it off with some veggies. Best of both worlds.
  • newmrswood
    Options
    I'm 100% with portion control. One reason is that you're so used to eating the unhealthy stuff you might crave it if you just automatically kick it. I think after awhile of portion control you will start finding foods that are healthier substitues for your unhealthy food (turkey burgers, homemade wheat pizzas, etc etc) It takes time to build new healthy habits but in the end it's worth it! If I get a craving for something unhealthy like McDonald's or Taco Bell I eat it, I just don't eat as much of it as I used to, I stay in my calorie range.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    For me, I'd go for portion control. I'd find it easier to say "I can eat anything I want, just not too much of it", rather than have a list of foods that were banned.

Totally agree. Banning foods has been my downfall in the past.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you should give yourself more credit and try to do a combination of both. Just don't think extreme changes like you CAN'T eat pizza anymore, instead make smarter choices about that pizza - like order a medium or even a small for just you and get just veggie toppings. I'd also suggest trying thin crust...doesn't work for me because it's not filling enough but if you're going to eat a whole small, it'd be better to have it on a thin crust instead of regular.

I say this because if you're anything like me, trying to go without the pizza altogether is going to be a good way to set yourself up to fail. You're going to keep craving it and eventually just say "screw the diet" and go on a binge. Better to figure out how to make the foods you love fit in, either by making smarter choices or cutting down on the portions or a combination of the two.

Another example - last night I made chop suey. Instead of 1.5 pounds of hamburg, I only used 1 pound and I used 90% instead of the 80 or 85% I used to use. I loaded it up with veggies - green pepper, onion, mushrooms and tomatoes. And instead of reguar pasta, I used one of those hidden veggie brands and got the smaller box so that cut down on the calories. I also got the lowest calorie sauce I could find although afterwards I thought just adding a can of tomato sauce probably would've worked fine too and would've been less calories.

Point is, just put a little thought into every decision you make...whether it's toppings on a pizza or ingredients for a recipe...and consider how you can make a better choice. Even if it's after the fact and something to remember next time, at least you're making healthier choices and thinking about it the right way.

Good luck!
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You have to do both....if you eat a lot of processed food, you will hit your calorie budget very quickly and you will be hungry and deprived all the time. It will be much easier to stay within your calory budget if you eat the right kinds of food. E.g. a serving of grilled meat w/ steamed veggies and brown rice will make you fill much more satisfied than a slice of pizza. If you are serious, go for it, and keep pizza´s and the such for special occasions....
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Portion control, you will soon realize how many calories is in the 'junk' and opt for something low calorie so you can eat more and be full. :)
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Portion control, definitely.

That's where I started, after a while you can head for the healthy choices, though you may find that you end up just wanting healthier, because you'll be able to eat more for the same cal value.
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Portion size is what I go for because if you deprive yourself of something you may have a downfall..Its good to make better food choices,most the time, I do it without thinking..But by food portions you can have other foods.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I have a very large appetite but along the way I have figured out that what I choose makes a really big difference in weight loss and how I feel. I allow myself unlimited fruits and veggies throughout the day and never gain an ounce. Everything else I limit. It works for me. I just got my blood work and it is fantastic :)
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different, but I find that when I eat the right kinds of foods, the portion control just automatically happens. I eat paleo-style, which is lots of protein, fats, vegetables, and most fruits. No grains, beans, or dairy. So, that means no bread or pasta either, and its usually those carbs that I over indulge in. I have not been counting calories or limiting my portions, and I am dropping weight. But again, it matters what works best for you. I really think that all bodies are different and its your job to do the research on yourself and see what works and what you can sustain. Happy losing!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Portion control is key, since the ultimate factor in the Weight-loss equation is maintaining a calorie deficit. However right food is a one-two punch..

1) "Right food" is usually but not always less calorie dense
    2) "Right food" will help you maintain your overall health. Nutrition is very important, you need to get all your vitamins, keep your cholesterol down, feed your brain... etc.

So if you look at my diary I pay attention to portion control and I typically try to eat "Right food" but I still have pizza (one or two slices), the occasional beer (usually one), ice cream (human amounts), bacon (2 slices) and Kashi Cookies (1 or 2)

I am also very happy that as I've gotten thinner/in better shape that I can be more active and if I'm going to a party, out for brazillian BBQ or some other high calorie event/meal I'll put in my time exercising so I can enjoy myself and what I eat.