Move to Southern California?

Options
tinabell153
tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
Hi All. I'm thinking about moving to Southern California. Anyone have any advice or knowledge of the area and where is a nice place to live? I do have a budget, so any places that are at a reasonable price range.

Anyone from Southern Cali? Tell me everything!

Replies

• mpmama2re
    mpmama2re Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    what's your budget? 1-2 bedroom apt in "semi" decent areas range from 1200+ depending ...
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    As someone born and raised in SoCal... Nice place to live? There are places like that? ;)

Just kidding. Avoid Riverside, San Bernardino, Moreno Valley - that whole part of SoCal. Really. Since it's been a while since I lived there myself, I can't say I remember any specifically "nice" places, but I sure as heck can tell you where to stay away from! Haha.

If you're moving from another Western state, it shouldn't be too much of a culture shock, but if you're out East (like I currently am) you're in for a world of Different. :) Feel free to message me to chat if you like. I haven't lived there in a while, but my sister does so I keep up with a lot of it.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    As someone born and raised in SoCal... Nice place to live? There are places like that? ;)

Just kidding. Avoid Riverside, San Bernardino, Moreno Valley - that whole part of SoCal. Really. Since it's been a while since I lived there myself, I can't say I remember any specifically "nice" places, but I sure as heck can tell you where to stay away from! Haha.

If you're moving from another Western state, it shouldn't be too much of a culture shock, but if you're out East (like I currently am) you're in for a world of Different. :) Feel free to message me to chat if you like. I haven't lived there in a while, but my sister does so I keep up with a lot of it.

I currently live in Ohio! But, I've been to California before for business. I know the traffic isn't great, but it's always sunny haha. My boyfriend wants to move there, which is why I'm considering it. I need to find a job first!!

Thanks for helping! We should chat!
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on the location where you and your boyfriend want to work, because the commute time between work and home is everything. Keep your commute time on highways to 45 mins max ( on rainy/accident days it'll stretch to 1 hour 15 mins or more). If I have to go on the highway for any distance, I add 1/2 hour to the Google map estimate. Once you figure that out, it'll be easier to pinpoint a nice neighborhood.
  • AmberB519
    AmberB519 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I love living in So Cal! I live in the beach cities of Los Angeles County. There are good and bad everywhere you go, so it depends on what you have i mind :) Prices varies greatly! Have a particular area in mind?
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    :glasses: Perfect beaches, perfect weather, great food, great cities, great recreation,-what more do you need?????????

I live in Ventura county-upscale area-1 hr south of Santa Barbara-I'm 20 min to Malibu beach-W.L.A & the OC are real nice-

Be ready for LOTS OF TRAFFIC!!!!!!
    Good luck
  • justgowithit17
    justgowithit17 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I've lived in SoCal my whole life. I'm going to move in a year or two. Honestly, I don't think it's that great.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I used to live in Anaheim. The OC is beautiful. Good people, good food. Great location too. LA is 40 min North, Huntington Beach is 20 min West, Las Vegas is 3 hours East, and San Diego is 1.5 hours South.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I and wife would have to make AT LEAST 4x what we do in TX for me to even consider it...
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I've lived in SoCal my whole life. I'm going to move in a year or two. Honestly, I don't think it's that great.

It is that great. I need to move back.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I am a bit slighted in my thinking, but San Diego is one of the best areas of SoCal you can find and our traffic is a fraction of that in the LA area. The north coastal part of SD is my choice, but again as others pointed out it comes with a price tag unfortunately. You have to pay for the "sunshine factor" to live her. Good luck and feel free to reach out with any questions. I have been in SoCal area over 25 years and dont ever plan to leave :)
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I live in SoCal in the Inland Empire. I transplanted here from the Midwest 5 years ago. I dont plan to stay here though.

Coastal cities are nicer but more expensive. Inland is less expensive but less pretty.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Kind of need to know your budget. That is going to determine where you can live. Its expensive at the beach.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    1) Do it
    2) San Diego is gorgeous and you're pretty enough that I wouldn't mind passing you on the freeway sometimes.
  • whierd
    Options
    As for housing cost ranges, expect to pay between $1,000-1,600/month depending on size and location.

The cheapest place I have lived here was in Reseda in a studio apartment for $900/month.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    ive lived in huntington beach for 2 years when i was younger and the wimp i am got homesick so i moved back to cold pittsburgh

i have family that live in irvine and inland empire.

id move to inland empire just to say i live in a place called inland empire

when i lived there i didnt venture much out of huntington beach and actually found a job at a deli that the owners parents were actually from my home town
  • whierd
    Options
    1) Do it
    2) San Diego is gorgeous and you're pretty enough that I wouldn't mind passing you on the freeway sometimes.

I swear if you cut me off without so much as a blinker ONE MORE TIME
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I live in Nor Cal...but one day I plan to relocate to the OC (Orange Co)...San Diego is also good. Can't go wrong with their year round lovely weather.
  • MBCook2
    MBCook2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

It is that great. I need to move back.

This^^ Miss it sooooo much.... :(
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    what's your budget? 1-2 bedroom apt in "semi" decent areas range from 1200+ depending ...

Yep. Emphasis on the +.

Also, every single other thing will be more expensive too. Groceries are especially costly in CA. I completely hate Southern CA...actually...I don't like any of California at all for living. I think Napa is great for a visit, the beaches are nice, kayaking up north in Sea Ranch was one of the coolest vacations ever, but I absolutely despise living here. I'm a transplant seven years ago from Chicago and I can't wait to get Chicago or farther east.