Psoriasis question....?

Options
bcf7683
bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
So I think that I've developed scalp psoriasis - yuck. It's gotten worse since it's been so cold and dry and I'm getting pretty fed up with it. I've been doing some Googling about it and I'm about 90% sure that's what it is (no history of psoriasis in the fam, I guess I'm an oddball). I have a doctor appointment, but it isn't until March 13. I got the Neutrogena tar/coal shampoo yesterday- tried it out after work.... it smells TERRIBLE- something like I rolled around in an oil furnace all day (<---the comment from my boyfriend when he got home from work. He's a real charmer). The shampoo worked pretty well, I just can't stand the smell. I have really long hair (to around the middle/bottom of my back) that I style with a side part, so it's getting really irritating in the part-area and hairline. I usually wash my hair 3-4 times a week, so I can't really do anything that needs to be done daily (my hair gets really dry if I wash it everyday).
So I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with some home remedies (other than the wonderful tar-coal) that would suffice until I can get my booty to the doctor? I found some odd remedies while Googling, but I'd like to hear of some things that have been tested and worked by other people. Much appreciated :smile:

Replies

• rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Find a salon that does Nioxin scalp treatments, get one once a month and get take a take home set.
  • bcf7683
    Options
    Are most places familiar with that? Or is it more of a specialized thing?
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    my ex used the tar shampoo, it is really horrible smelling
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Your shampooing your hair to much. By doing that the natural oils in your scalp aren't getting to do their job, your just washing them away. I shower everyday, but only shampoo my hair 2 a week. Extra if I do something that gets it really dirty, which is rare.
  • rockangel8907
    Options
    There are a lot of salons that sell it. Regis salons along with master cuts do. You can go on their website and use the salon finder to find one near you.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    The night before a shampoo, put a good bit of lotion (a special one for skin problems) on your scalp and massage gently before going to sleep. It's usually pretty greasy for your hair that's why you want to do it before a shampoo. It helps appease the itching and helps with dry skin.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Your shampooing your hair to much. By doing that the natural oils in your scalp aren't getting to do their job, your just washing them away. I shower everyday, but only shampoo my hair 2 a week. Extra if I do something that gets it really dirty, which is rare.

^ That too.
  • bcf7683
    Options

Shampooing not the issue- I've tried doing it less, doing it more, different shampoos, different products, NO products... It doesn't change. With psoriasis your cells are too productive, not shampooing as much is only going to leave me with more flakes & build-up. That's the problem
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    sea breeze is an astrigent that works wonderful. Our son had issues when he was growning up and we were told to use it. You don't have to wash it out between shampoo's.
  • bcf7683
    Options
    There are a lot of salons that sell it. Regis salons along with master cuts do. You can go on their website and use the salon finder to find one near you.

Thank you! -- I'm going to check that out, I know there are a few of those salons near me :flowerforyou:
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Did you wash your entire head of hair with that shampoo? I only use it on the area on my scalp where i have the problem and I wash the rest with my normal shampoo. The smell isn't too bad that way. I mostly have the psoriasis on my arms and I have various ointments for that. If it gets real bad, I will put some of the ointment on my scalp the night before washing my hair. That seems to do the trick for a couple of months and then I'll have a flare up again. I have also read that taking fish oil helps. I take it every day and I did notice a big improvement right away. Unfortunately that improvement didn't last long but my skin did not go back to as bad as it was before the fish oil so I continue to take it.

No one else in my family has it. It really sucks!
  • LaDonZ
    LaDonZ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My empathies! I developed this last year and although it's much improved, it's still not gone. Here is what I tried:

1. Yeast killers (prescription) I went on a double-strength course, twice, and it reduced it greatly from that thick waxy stuff to dry flakes
    2. Dandruff shampoos No help
    3. Apple Cider Vinegar: (one week) No help
    4. Milk of Magnesia (one week) No Help
    5. I am now trying a sulfate-free shampoo and it does seem to be lessening somewhat.

I'll be following this thread, too!!
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Or...go to a Vitamin Shop or GNC (even though I hate GNC) and get something natural. That's what I did and it cleared right up. It also doesn't have a scent.
  • JPal5
    JPal5 Posts: 178
    Options
    Iv'e had Psoriasis on my elbows, knees, nails, face and scalp for 11 years. I've tried everything. Coconut oil, Baking soda etc. Nothing works.
    If you find something that works please let me know!
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I get much the same thing. I do have a prescription shampoo, but when it starts to get out of hand (peelable crust, I know, yuk!) I have found a product that works for me. Lush brand cosmetics, they have a website. Its called Retread. Slather your scalp in in, and soak in the tub for about a half hour, then wash it out. Super moisturizes your scalp. I'll do this for a few times in a row, and then wah-lah! my scalp is happy once more. You can try the same thing with coconut oil, I hear that works wonders also as it has anti-fungal properties.
  • Getyourshineon
    Options
    I have the same issue.. but I can't wash my hair that often, it's too drying... try tea tree oil... There are shampoos with it in them already or you can add it to your own shampoo or you can even apply it directly to your scalp. Increase your water intake.. it always helps to hydrate from the inside out...

Good Luck.. it's a constant battle for me, especially in the winter months.
  • rockangel8907
    Options
    The night before a shampoo, put a good bit of lotion (a special one for skin problems) on your scalp and massage gently before going to sleep. It's usually pretty greasy for your hair that's why you want to do it before a shampoo. It helps appease the itching and helps with dry skin.

She needs to get the accumulated dead cells off, using lotion will only pack them down more. It's like exfoliating your face, if you don't get the dead cells off the new fresh cells can't breathe and skin gets rough, dull, lifeless and can feel scaly.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    See a doctor for sure. My wife has it on her arms/elbows. doctor fixed her right up.
  • LaDonZ
    LaDonZ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sue,
    Yes, I remember reading about Sea Breeze once .... So did you apply it on dry hair, or in the bath after shampooing?
  • bcf7683
    Options
    Did you wash your entire head of hair with that shampoo? I only use it on the area on my scalp where i have the problem and I wash the rest with my normal shampoo. The smell isn't too bad that way. I mostly have the psoriasis on my arms and I have various ointments for that. If it gets real bad, I will put some of the ointment on my scalp the night before washing my hair. That seems to do the trick for a couple of months and then I'll have a flare up again. I have also read that taking fish oil helps. I take it every day and I did notice a big improvement right away. Unfortunately that improvement didn't last long but my skin did not go back to as bad as it was before the fish oil so I continue to take it.

No one else in my family has it. It really sucks!

I've been taking fish oil for around a year now, who knows if that's helped- just started having problems with this around 6 months ago. Started getting bad the last couple weeks. I did my whole head because I have a couple spots around the rest of my scalp that are giving me problems as well. I didn't go all the way to the ends with it though and I conditioned after to help with the smell. I'm hoping that the doctor will be able to give me some kind of something for when it gets a little out of hand like it is now. Did you end up having to go to a dermo for it? Or just your regular doctor?