Milk....Milk....Drink It...Milk

Options
Oh, how I am loving my milk right now. I have discovered that milk is an awesome dietary drink. I have always questioned it, as it always left my mouth with that nasty weird film, but I have to say it has helped me lose some weight. I drink 2 cups at night, so that my body has something to "chew " on, and I wake up 3 lbs less than when I went to bed! It is freakin awesome!

I want to know if anyone else has used milk not only for taste, but to give the body that protein that it supposedly takes a while to digest. I am just trying to lose the weight, but sustain muscle mass (not grow it). most of the sugars I eat are naturally developed in the foods.

I am eating like a champ lately, with exception to yesterday, but I made it through. What do you think of milk? I am loving it, and plan on maintaining the course of about 4 cups per day.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Oh, how I am loving my milk right now. I have discovered that milk is an awesome dietary drink. I have always questioned it, as it always left my mouth with that nasty weird film, but I have to say it has helped me lose some weight. I drink 2 cups at night, so that my body has something to "chew " on, and I wake up 3 lbs less than when I went to bed! It is freakin awesome!

You lose 3 lbs every night that you drink milk before bed? :huh:
  • PinkyKiwii
    PinkyKiwii Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I ****en LOVE dairy.

Never giving that **** up.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I drink a LOT of skim milk- and comparing the nutrition info to the subs people use on here (almond milk, soy, etc) I really don't get it. Yes - it's a gram of protein for every 10 calories- hard to beat, and especially we girls need our calcium!
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I love milk...but I just saw a nutritionist that told me not to drink it anymore, ever!! She said it was just wasted calories that could be spent on something else with a higher protein count. Its going to take me awhile to get over losing milk...its so good.
  • reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Milk grosses me out anymore. Bleh
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like you are getting dehydrated as you sleep...3 lbs (of fat) just doesn't disappear at night. Sorry to burst your bubble.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

My first thought.
    My second was, "it won't last forever".
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    SS + GOMAD?? lel

I do use milk with my protein powder. Tried it with water once... never again
  • rockrosie
    rockrosie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Milk & a protein mix-in is a great way to break-your'-fast in the morning! I love being able to start my day with 18 grams of protein already on my food log.
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation is key! Dairy is vital in the journey which includes yogurt, cheese and milk. I was one who hated milk, never drank it throughout my 50 years until now as supported ny Weight Watchers Healthy Check system and have to say for the first time in my life, I am losing and keeping it off. Needed or not...needed! If its working for you, Go for it!
  • MountainMoverJosh
    Options
    Well, gee. I do not go to bed on an empty stomach, people. Not starving myself, I realize that most of the pounds I lose is just food digesting, but it seems to help. I am not a fool. I am looking for those that drink milk and whether it has assisted them in losing the weight (in other words, was it tougher to lose the weight without it in your diet?)
  • MountainMoverJosh
    Options
    I love milk...but I just saw a nutritionist that told me not to drink it anymore, ever!! She said it was just wasted calories that could be spent on something else with a higher protein count. Its going to take me awhile to get over losing milk...its so good.

Whoa. Would stop seeing her at that moment, as you would never be able to have dairy cheese or yogurt ever again. I could not pull that off. Good luck with that...
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I drink a LOT of skim milk- and comparing the nutrition info to the subs people use on here (almond milk, soy, etc) I really don't get it. Yes - it's a gram of protein for every 10 calories- hard to beat, and especially we girls need our calcium!

I have a love/hate relationship with milk. I love milk. Milk hates me. So if I want something milk-like I have to substitute it, my preference is vanilla almond milk. I get my calcium from almonds, spinach, broccoli, and supplements.
  • runwmeNC
    runwmeNC Posts: 612 Member
    Options

He could be extremely lactose intolerant and that would explain the nightly 3lb loss but it didn't want to gross us out? Like a natural colon cleanse?
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Great question. I love milk too.Tastes great, etc...

I drink a lot less of it thanIi used to because, while it does have a reasonable amount of protein, it also comes with a lot of sugars. I try to get 1 g of protein per day per pound of lean body mass. That causes me to be pretty judicious on what i eat and drink. Probably drink 16 - 24 oz of skim milk per day.

Like you, at night, I like to give my body something to 'chew on'. For that, i use casein protein powder as it is a slow absorbing protein and great for night time repair work. 24 g of protein right before bed. To get that from milk, you probably need 3 glasses (and get a ton of sugar with it...)

However, I would certainly recommend milk vs Coke!

In the end, it is your overall healthy habits that win the game.

Good luck!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I agree - I like giving my body something to "chew" on over night. And I love a good cold glass of milk!
  • shanander
    shanander Posts: 50 Member
    Options

I drink unsweetened almond milk because the sugar content in milk. However, before I went to a low carb/low sugar lifestyle, I drank skim milk like it was going out of style, I went through 1-2 gallons a week myself.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Love it!!!! The trick is to treat it like food, rather than a drink. I often use it as a snack - skim milk has a great protein to carb balance and really helps with curbing hunger and keeping my blood sugar on an even keel. I could never drink as much as the OP - it would make up too huge a percentage of my daily calorie allowance but the protein/calcium/vitamins are great. And I just like it. I feel very sorry for those who are lactose intolerant.
  • wildechild74
    wildechild74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    yep, 2-3 glasses per day. helps with hunger control. has it truely aided my wt loss? dont know. i will say this, there was a time years ago that i gave up dairy for about year, a psychological glitch, per se. in nursing school we learned that mammary glands are just modified sweat glands, so drinking cow sweat messed with my mind. however, that has passed and i can definately tell the days when i dont consume my usual 2-3 glasses.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I use skim milk in my steel cut oats. I mix my protein shakes with skim milk. I love, love, love a glass of ice cold chocolate milk after a run, there's just nothing better! I don't know about the nutritional value, nor do I care. I drink it because I like it :D

I'm be curious how many people who swear off milk drink soda's, energy drinks and beer.