Lifting produces amazing results, but I have a question.

Options
2»

Replies

• stinastudios
    stinastudios Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've lost 58 lbs. since April 2011, 12 of those pounds being just since January 1st. In the beginning, I would do an hour of straight cardio a day, but I wasn't seeing results, and I was getting so hungry that I'd blow my diet and not lose any weight. The bulk of the weight that I've lost has been with almost all weight training. The cardio I've done has just been short walks (15-30 minutes at a time.)

I don't plan to add anymore cardio to my routine, weights are the way to go for me!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Well, I've lost over 70 pounds...twice. >.<

The first time I lost it I did absolutely no weights and I got down to a weight of 150.

This latest time, I did it partly without lifting weights, and just a few months before Christmas I started lifting serious weights. I currently weigh 161 and I am fitting into ALL the clothes I wore when I was 150, and some of them are actually too big on me.

I'm currently doing stronglifts, so that amounts to about 35-50 minutes per session, 3x per week. I like to do at least a little bit of cardio on off-days, and I sometimes do like 1 mile or so on the treadmill if I have the time/energy after stronglifts.

For me, personally, I suspect I need a bit of cardio (and it's good for your heart, anyways) to get my heart rate up, and from what I've read it can be a good thing for people with PCOS (which I have.) Plus I look at it as something that allows me to eat more food. And, as much as I hate to admit it, I actually like how the exercise makes me feel. *shakes fist*

I think a bit of cardio is fine, but some people will spend hours on a treadmill (for example) and unless you are training for a marathon or something, I don't really think that's necessary.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Do 5/3/1 with power assistance or BBB. I've made more progress with that then 5x5 - I injured myself with 5x5

You are suggesting 5/3/1 to a beginner? Really?

OP and others - 5/3/1 is NOT a beginner program. Do not pick this up please, unless you have several months of CONSISTENT barbell training under your belt. 3x5 is a fine beginner program (starting strength) as is 5x5 - if you injured yourself doing 5x5 its because something was wrong with your form not because there is some MAGICAL rep range at which injury occurs.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Do 5/3/1 with power assistance or BBB. I've made more progress with that then 5x5 - I injured myself with 5x5

OP and others - 5/3/1 is NOT a beginner program. Do not pick this up please, unless you have several months of CONSISTENT barbell training under your belt. 3x5 is a fine beginner program (starting strength) as is 5x5 - if you injured yourself doing 5x5 its because something was wrong with your form not because there is some MAGICAL rep range at which injury occurs.

Starting strength is a good place to start - If you have the dedication to actually read the 5/3/1 PDF then you could start there - but I tend to agree its not something I would suggest to start with especially if you are unfamiliar with a lot of the big barbell lifts
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I would also like to add that a full split routine is not ideal when at a deficit, and should really only be considered when the gains on a full body workout are 'used up'. When at a deficit and trying to maintain LBM, you should ideally be hitting each muscle group at least 2 x a week for as long as you can. This is not to say that moving to a split routine is necessarily a bad thing, but the benefits of a full body (or at least a split that hits each muscle group twice a week) should be utilized as much as possible.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

I would also like to add that a full split routine is not ideal when at a deficit, and should really only be considered when the gains on a full body workout are 'used up'. When at a deficit and trying to maintain LBM, you should ideally be hitting each muscle group at least 2 x a week for as long as you can. This is not to say that moving to a split routine is necessarily a bad thing, but the benefits of a full body (or at least a split that hits each muscle group twice a week) should be utilized as much as possible.

5/3/1 is squat, bench, press, and deadlift. The same as 5x5. You progress at 65% of 90% of your one rep max. You increase weight every month not every workout. You can choose power assistance or a BBB and you have the option of having a 'split' routine - but the whole program revolves around the big lifts as being important. in fact, its not even 5 sets of your main lift - its 3x5, 3x3, and 5/3/1 where the last set you get as many as you can. Slow progressive loading - slower than 5x5, so I dont see how it can not be used as a beginner program
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

5/3/1 is squat, bench, press, and deadlift. The same as 5x5. You progress at 65% of 90% of your one rep max. You increase weight every month not every workout. You can choose power assistance or a BBB and you have the option of having a 'split' routine - but the whole program revolves around the big lifts as being important. in fact, its not even 5 sets of your main lift - its 3x5, 3x3, and 5/3/1 where the last set you get as many as you can. Slow progressive loading - slower than 5x5, so I dont see how it can not be used as a beginner program

I know what 5/3/1 is - I do it myself.

It's not a beginners program