SANDWICH ideas needed...

Options
I personally am not a big sandwich person but every now and then I do it. They are quick and easy. My husband and dughter could eat a turkey sandwhich 7x a week and it grosses me out. The fam and I are on a mission to make 2013 a healthy one. We are all doing great and find when we get home from gym(3x/week) it is prettty late and we need to get the kids in bed ASAP. I also like to pack my daughters lunch as much as possible to have better control over her eating during the day and she does prefer sandwhiches.

I am just looking for a better variety of ideas and HEALTHY ones at that. She does like wraps and pitas so that helps get away from WHITE bread..which i refuse to buy anymore.........................Give me good ideas to fill these pitas with :wink:

Replies

• lwanbaugh81
    lwanbaugh81 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use Orowheat whole wheat sandwich thinks and I LOVE them. Lately I have been spreading them with a wedge of Laughing Cow garden veggie cream cheese, turkey and a few avocado slices. I also eat them in the morning toasted with peanut butter and bananas on them.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like sandwich wraps best. It's a great way to use up leftover meats and you can add more veggies than to most regular sandwiches.

Take a generous handful of dark leafy greens (baby lettuce, spinach, arugula, kales, etc.), add some type of protein (leftover meats, canned tuna, hummus, refried beans, etc.) some sliced or grilled veggies and maybe a little cheese. Dress it with a little hot sauce, mustard, vinaigrette, etc., and roll it up.
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Check out skinny taste.com.. she has a whole section with sandwich ideas, most panini's, which maybe is something you'd enjoy more?
  • Rockytop_relic
    Rockytop_relic Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I like the 100% whole wheat sandwich thins. Then either turkey or chicken from the deli thinly sliced, add some tomato, wickles relish(I like the hotter kind) and maybe some light mayo. I am with your husband and daughter though, cause I could eat sandwiches for every meal.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I stopped buying lunch meat. Instead about once a week I cook something large (a turkey, a chicken, ham, roast...) and divide it up in baggies and throw it in the freezer and pull one out at a time for sandwiches. Much more flavorful, cheaper, and healthier and doesn't really take any effort. Any one of those things can just be tossed in the oven for a few hours and it's done.

One of my favorites is turkey with cranberry sauce and either light cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese. Could also do turkey and gravy if you have room for the calories.

Ham with pineapple slices.

Egg salad- I mix chopped up cooled hard boiled eggs, light mayo, dijon mustard, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. This is especially good in pitas and stuff.

Roast beef or lamb is always awesome with some provolone.

Meatloaf sandwiches are awesome. Not very low cal, but awesome.

Er. You can probably tell I eat more than 1200 cals a day lol.
  • ladyjh578
    ladyjh578 Posts: 207
    Options
    Check out skinny taste.com.. she has a whole section with sandwich ideas, most panini's, which maybe is something you'd enjoy more?

GREAT IDEA...I have been to that site many times and forgot all about it! Thank you!!!!
  • ladyjh578
    ladyjh578 Posts: 207
    Options
    I stopped buying lunch meat. Instead about once a week I cook something large (a turkey, a chicken, ham, roast...) and divide it up in baggies and throw it in the freezer and pull one out at a time for sandwiches. Much more flavorful, cheaper, and healthier and doesn't really take any effort. Any one of those things can just be tossed in the oven for a few hours and it's done.

One of my favorites is turkey with cranberry sauce and either light cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese. Could also do turkey and gravy if you have room for the calories.

Ham with pineapple slices.

Egg salad- I mix chopped up cooled hard boiled eggs, light mayo, dijon mustard, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. This is especially good in pitas and stuff.

Roast beef or lamb is always awesome with some provolone.

Meatloaf sandwiches are awesome. Not very low cal, but awesome.

Er. You can probably tell I eat more than 1200 cals a day lol.

Exactly what I was going for. I am trying to get away from the deli all together. All that stuff is filled with crap and I hate to keep feeding it to mt family. GREAT idea on cooking a tukey or chicken and using that for the week. I will most def start doing this. THANK YOU!
    BTW: 1200 cal is REDIC!!! You body needs more than that anyway!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I use Joseph's bakery lavash to make wraps. It's only 100 calories, 10g of protein, and 8 net carbs. I'm vegan so I fill it with lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, almond cheese, diced onions, and sometimes cucumber slices.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Just to be different, I use the multigrain sandwich thins.

I spread the top with laughing cow cheese wedge and the bottom with hummus. Then I put on some deli sliced turkey, some salsa and some mixed greens. These fit well in a ziplock bag and last Tuesday there were leftovers, I had one for lunch the next day and he had one for dinner, both were still delish up to 24 hours after being made!