the week before my half...

Options
I am a week away from my first half marathon. For those of you who have completed a half what did you do during this time? How much running, tapering, what did you eat two days before or the day of, did you drink water during the run or use gu, what worked for you and didn't? I am trying to figure out my game plan from here... Thanks!

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    A week before my half, I switched to maintenance calories to make sure I was fully fueled for the race. I did taper--ran a few times that week, but no long or super-intense runs. I was in a training group and followed their recommendations for eating: three or four days of heavy protein to repair muscles, followed by 3 or 4 days of heavy carbs (stay within your calorie goal, just switch things up so you have a higher proportion of whichever macronutrient you're focusing on).

Yes, drink water during the half! It is possible to drink too much water, so try not to overdo it (unless it's really hot, you probably won't need to stop at each water station). Whether or not you use gels is a personal preference--if you haven't used them during training, it's a bad idea to try them for the first time during the half marathon because you don't know how your body will react--they make some people sick or have to run for the porta-potty. I usually take a couple during a half, but I'm really slow so I'm out there for better than 2.5 hours--faster runners who finish in 1.5 hours or so tend not to need additional fuel.

Some things that work about as well as gels, but might be easier on your stomach because you can eat just a few pieces at a time: gummi bears, jelly beans (they make sport versions with electrolytes), dried fruit.

Best of luck!
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Take it easy this week nothing too crazy.. If you trained with Gu then use the Gu. Be sure to load up carbs a couple days before then light meals the say before. I would have a nice 400 calorie breakfast that morning (oatmeal and a banana).

HAVE FUN!!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a few more carby foods for two days leading up to the race and make sure I drink plenty of water. For running, I normally do my 11 mile run two Sundays before so every other run leading up to the race is 6 miles or less. The last run I do is usually Wednesday or Thursday, depending upon my schedule, and at a very easy pace.

I definitely drink the water during the race. RNR races also offer Gatorade at some stops and I'll have that instead of water when they offer it. I eat jelly beans when I run so I usually take the Gu they offer and save it for my son, who likes them when he plays soccer. I normally eat a few beans every 30-40 minutes during a run or race.

All of the above said, I ran my fastest race this past Sunday at just under 2:33. I ran my 11 mile run the Sunday before the race, but it was a very slow and easy run (2:24 for 11 vs. 2:33 for 13). I then didn't run at all during the rest of the week because my schedule just didn't allow it until it was too late (Friday). I ate as usual in the days before the race but we had a breakfast glitch and I ended up eating a half a bagel lightly smeared with cream cheese at around mile 2. All of that and I still ran a great race, so take my advice with a grain of salt. :)

I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that you shouldn't do anything during the race that you weren't doing during training. If you trained with Gu, then use Gu, otherwise don't. Don't try any new equipment you haven't worn on a long run, either. The last thing you want is to realize you have a huge blister or that your shirt is chafing your underarms at mile 9. Use only those things that are tried and true for you.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I taper and do not run the last two days before the race. Not running~about kills me! I feel so guilty not doing anything! But, that's what the schedule said, so that's what I do. Works like a charm. As for the Gu. If you haven't trained with it, I would be hesitant to start now. My husband tried a Gu after not training with it and had some "intestinal difficulties" due to it. Stick with what you know. Good luck!!! The half is a fun distance!!!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I didn't log the week of my first half marathon. I ate more pasta and rice than I normally ate at that time, didn't pig out too much but didn't worry about calorie tracking.

Don't worry about "carb loading" the night before your race, it's not really effective and can lead to digestive issues if you're going to carb load, just slightly increase your carb intake all throughout the week. (this was advice given to me by my first running coach)

Don't do anything different nutrition-wise during your half that you have not already experimented with in training runs.

Two nights before the race, make sure you get a great night's sleep! You will likely be too keyed up the night before to sleep well.

Set out everything you're going to wear/take to the race the day before and make sure everything fits, etc. I even go so far as to pin my race bib to my shirt, it's just one less thing I gotta do early in the morning!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I didn't log the week of my first half marathon. I ate more pasta and rice than I normally ate at that time, didn't pig out too much but didn't worry about calorie tracking.

Don't worry about "carb loading" the night before your race, it's not really effective and can lead to digestive issues if you're going to carb load, just slightly increase your carb intake all throughout the week. (this was advice given to me by my first running coach)

Don't do anything different nutrition-wise during your half that you have not already experimented with in training runs.

Two nights before the race, make sure you get a great night's sleep! You will likely be too keyed up the night before to sleep well.

Set out everything you're going to wear/take to the race the day before and make sure everything fits, etc. I even go so far as to pin my race bib to my shirt, it's just one less thing I gotta do early in the morning!

Edited to add: the last 2 half marathons I did, I did an easy short run (about 2 miles) the Friday before a Sunday race. Otherwise, my workouts earlier in the week (cross training, etc) were the same. And if you can, go for a short walk later in the day of your half and/or the next day--you will start stretching out those sore muscles and your legs will thank you!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Do a couple easy runs during the week. Nothing long or fast. Just keep the legs "warm". Definitely hydrate for a few days ahead of the race.

During the race, just remember to run YOUR race. Not some mythical race. . .or trying to keep up with someone else. You are out there to run your race. I drank the water they offer along the course as I do NOT like gatorade. I also had a engergy gel...not GU, but it was chocolate and it made me happy to feel like I was eating cake frosting at mile 9. LOL.

You're going to be anxious and jacked up, and that's cool. But, just get out there and RUN! Also, if it's chip timed, make sure you go potty before you cross the starting mat. I personally can run an entire race without a potty break, but some folks have to make a pit stop. Once you cross that start mat, your potty time is now official race time. Boooo!!!

Hope you have a dry race with decent temps! Good luck!!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Nothing you do in the week before the race is going to improve your fitness except reducing the training load to recover your running muscles. Cut the mileage to 1/3 or less than normal and just run easy to keep the legs loose and prevent the loss of any fitness.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Nothing new on race day! Biggest thing to remember.
    That includes not trying gu if you never used tehm before. Even not drinking gatorade it you only drink water.

Depending how hard you trained & what your current fitness level is, you usually don't need that much of a taper for a half. I just usually take it easy just the last 2-3 days before hand.

Don't hydrate any more or less than you have been. There's no point in startign to hydrate days before.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I don't really taper before half marathons - just take the day off before (and don't do any hill runs for 3 or 4 days). And I don't drink fluids or Gu during halfs, but I drink a lot of water normally so I'm a well hydrated person in general. I had sliders and a mimosa the day before my race last weekend but that's probably not the recommended pre-race meal for most - I'm kind of an iron gut :) I would say don't eat anything that may come back to haunt you.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Some random thoughts....I usually only run about half my normal distance during the week before the race. Run your normal long run the weekend before but after that limit yourself to half the distance to keep your legs fresh and encourage any healing you may need. If you feel antsy... try some light cross training.

Carb loading two days before can help build your energy reserves. It normally takes 24-48 hours from the point of ingestion to the point where glycogen is stored. Carb loading the day before will likely not help much.

Avoid anything you aren't use to eating the few days before the race and avoid "sampling" anything at the race expo. Race expo's are wonderful things which show off new and different products. I had a friend who "sampled" a few of these mystery products and ended up on race day running towards the toilet.

Use the bathroom before race time. Wait 10 minutes... use it again. You'll want to ensure you don't waste time in the poddy line. I ran Honolulu a few years back and ended up waiting 10 minutes in line to use the facilities during the race.

I usually drink a small bottle of water (300-500 ml) immediately before race time. The human body is a container that only holds so much fluid. By topping up that container, you may save yourself a water stop or two along the way and you'll start the run a little better hydrated.

For a pre race meal, I prefer to keep it light and with energy type foods. I normally have peanut butter on toast, an egg and a banana before a half. Easy on the stomach but provides you a fairly good base to start the race with.

Go with what you know for energy supplements. I like the Sport Beans and train with them. Other people use GU gels, Chomps, Stingers etc. Race day is a bad time to switch.

Prepack your morning the night before. If you have a favorite pair of shoes, shorts etc... get them staged. I lay out my shoes, socks, shorts, shirt, GPS, iPod, Road ID, race bib etc the night before and make sure they are in working order. Nothing like arriving at race time to realize you've left behind a critical element.

If you have the luxury... walk the course the week before. It will help you visualize your race and ensure you don't miss any turn off's or problem areas.

Ask the race directors what beverage is being served. Make sure it sits well with you... if not plan around it.

Most of all, have FUN! Races are great social opportunities that bring the running community together. Enjoy it!

Good Luck! Hope my ramblings help!
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    What they all said is great!
    I did have a half in the rain and was glad to have a hat. I brought 2 GU no water and jelly beans that got sticky and wet and I almost choked on one! I lke the GU...had one at mile 7 and didnt need the other one
    A couple of my races started at 11 so it was tricky...I brought pb on a sandwich thin and a small gatorade in a paper bag so I could toss it. Gave me too much time to worry about the bathroom! So I did what Jeff said...go then go again. That works. If you find someone to talk to it eases the nerves.
    My husband said just run...I never cared about time or where I was just picked a couple girls in skirts I wanted to pass...I did then they passed me back and beat me but not by much! They were there next year and I took 'em! Lol
    enjoy it...nothing like your first!!
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone for all the advice and tips! It is much appreciated. I know by this time next week I will be a bundle of nerves. It helps to know I have prepared the best that I can. Thanks, again! You guys are the best!
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    I was both excited and nervous before my first half. I did a few short runs just to help with the nerves, nothing to strenuous. You really do want to stick to food and beverages that you have had before, this is not the week to try anything new. The day of the race they usually have both water and gatorade at the stations so you can pick whatever you have trained with.

One thing to be aware of is when you get to the expo to pick up your packet don't start stuffing your face with all the freebies they hand out. I did that at my last one. I started sampling everything they handed out and didn't feel very good later that day. Especially all the gu and other sport chews out there, I think I ate more in the couple hours I was there than what I do during a race. :) Thankfully I felt better by the next day.

Have fun, enjoy your run, and let us know how it went.