1200 Cal/day... can you really make the goals match up?

Options
I've just started tracking (less than 2 weeks) and while I've stayed at or just under my calorie goal every day (except for one splurge day) I can't seem to make any of the goals match up. I'm ALWAYS over in protein, sugar, and fiber, and almost always under in carbs and fat. Can anyone help? My diary is open, what do I need to change? Or does it not matter that much?

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Diary is still locked. The MFP protein and fat settings are minimums not optimal.
  • mrslynch
    mrslynch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    sorry! I fixed it.
  • mrslynch
    Options
    bump
  • mrslynch
    Options
    bump
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I've just started tracking (less than 2 weeks) and while I've stayed at or just under my calorie goal every day (except for one splurge day) I can't seem to make any of the goals match up. I'm ALWAYS over in protein, sugar, and fiber, and almost always under in carbs and fat. Can anyone help? My diary is open, what do I need to change? Or does it not matter that much?

Well what I'm not going to do is pretend to be an expert and tell you that this is how it is in no uncertain terms. However, speaking from my experience, last year I was on the 1200 cal plan. I was eating back exercise calories as well. As you can see in my ticker, I've been successful. I too had some trouble meeting some of the Macro and Micro nutrient goals. Here's what I've learned. Don't worry about going over on protein, it will not hurt you. In fact, if you're using the default values from MFP for proteins, carbs and fats (your macro-nutrients) you're protein goal is probably low anyway. Being over on fiber is definitely not a bad thing at all. If you eat fruit, you're probably going to be over on sugars every day. I stopped worrying about them early on.

MFP uses a weird set of ratios for your macro nutrients. Usually 70% of calories from carbs, 15% of calories from fat and 15% from protein (if I recall correctly). Most here will agree that a much better split (which you can setup using custom goals) would be 40/30/30 respectively. That will probably help you line up your numbers a bit better.

If you're low on fats, you can bring those up pretty easily with some good fats in nuts (or nut butters), fish, beef, etc. Just be careful that you don't over do the saturated fats (although many here also argue whether sat. fats really have impact on cardiovascular health anyway). Fats are an important nutrient your body needs so don't be shy and lock in on only fat free foods.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I think it would be nearly impossible to watch all of that. I focus on calories, carbs, protein and sodium. It's fine to be over on protein...you definitely want to be over the amount myfitnesspal gives you! I changed my macros to 30/30/40 (carbs/protein/fat) so that my goal is to try to get 100 something grams of protein (it's hard for me to do) but protein is good so don't worry about that. Hope that made sense? Personally, I don't track fat or sugar. Everyone is different. I focus on sodium because I noticed when I go over, I retain more water and gain weight.
  • vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I think MFP sets the macros kinda high in carbs, which when I first started was great because I'm a carb lover. But I've slowly messed with the percentages and am now at 35/35/30 (carb/protein/fat), meaning pretty close to balanced. I'd try messing with the macros until you find something that works for you and still allows to lose AND stay within the macros.
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 is what you should change your macros too, and going over on protein IS GREAT!
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I think MFP sets the macros kinda high in carbs, which when I first started was great because I'm a carb lover. But I've slowly messed with the percentages and am now at 35/35/30 (carb/protein/fat), meaning pretty close to balanced. I'd try messing with the macros until you find something that works for you and still allows to lose AND stay within the macros.
    I'm going to try that formula instead of mine 30/30/40 because I find it difficult to stay under carbs!
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    When I was new to this, it was all I could do to watch calories. If counting calories is overwhelming right now, don't even worry about macros or micros. Focus on getting your calories figured out and a routine set. That being said, the only thing I want to say about macros (carbs/protein/fat) is that please do go over MFP's recommendations for protein. Many times in my life I lifted weights, and would get frustrated from not getting any results after months of regular lifting. As soon as I started getting enough protein, I got visible results after about 4 weeks. Within six weeks, I went from a size 10 jeans to a size 5 jeans (same brand, same style) despite the fact that I hadn't lost a pound. I had been losing weight regularly over a span of time with help from MFP, but the body recomposition only happened when I got sufficient protein and lifted as heavy as possible. I don't know if I could get enough protein on a 1200 cal diet, but I've never tried. My cals are always a minimum of 1600 if I don't exercise. Just do what you can. Good luck to you!

Edited to clarify.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Being OVER in Protein and fiber is good.. the one i'm trying to get past is the sugar as well..

Even veggies have sugar.. ugh.. i never knew that lol.. well if you get it under control.. let me know how

Wishing you the best
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

I just looked back over your diary for a few days and I think you are doing a fantastic job!! Well done you :wink:

You will never meet all of the macros entirely on MFP.

Keep on doing what you are doing and then alter things to suit yourself...but really great job.

A little side order maybe add sodium to your chart? x
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much about the macros. It's a guideline and it's customizable, so nothing bad is gonna happen if you go over. Calories are the main thing to watch. I try to get as close as I can on sugar (I don't even track total carbs, just sugars) and fiber goals, though. The fiber and protein goals on MFP are too low for me so I went in and fixed them...:drinker:
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

Glanced at the last few days of your diary, looks good.
  • anikisa
    anikisa Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Well what I'm not going to do is pretend to be an expert and tell you that this is how it is in no uncertain terms. However, speaking from my experience, last year I was on the 1200 cal plan. I was eating back exercise calories as well. As you can see in my ticker, I've been successful. I too had some trouble meeting some of the Macro and Micro nutrient goals. Here's what I've learned. Don't worry about going over on protein, it will not hurt you. In fact, if you're using the default values from MFP for proteins, carbs and fats (your macro-nutrients) you're protein goal is probably low anyway. Being over on fiber is definitely not a bad thing at all. If you eat fruit, you're probably going to be over on sugars every day. I stopped worrying about them early on.

MFP uses a weird set of ratios for your macro nutrients. Usually 70% of calories from carbs, 15% of calories from fat and 15% from protein (if I recall correctly). Most here will agree that a much better split (which you can setup using custom goals) would be 40/30/30 respectively. That will probably help you line up your numbers a bit better.

If you're low on fats, you can bring those up pretty easily with some good fats in nuts (or nut butters), fish, beef, etc. Just be careful that you don't over do the saturated fats (although many here also argue whether sat. fats really have impact on cardiovascular health anyway). Fats are an important nutrient your body needs so don't be shy and lock in on only fat free foods.

agree :D also go calculate ur BMR (google BMR calc) and it will tell you how many calories you should be eating :D oh and sugar from fruit will not harm you. sugar from bread, baked good, etc. (anything that containg added sugars as in they are not natural sugars) will harm you! also too much fiber will cause constipation so becareful as long as you eat clean you should be good :D good luck
  • FluroFaye
    FluroFaye Posts: 130
    Options
    1200 cals is too low for anyone. Go to 1500-1700.
  • fausto412
    fausto412 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    MFP actually suggested 1200 calories? you must be a pencil trying to get skinnier....Supposedly 1200 is the minimum!!
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    Basically Carbs, protein, fat are just telling you where your 1200 calories are coming from. Some are more easily burned by the body (simple carbs), and if you are heavy on them you MAY feel hungry faster. Protein and fats take a little longer for your body to process and therefore should make you feel full a little longer. I say "should" and "may", because every person's experience is different. There are several different types of fiber, some are partially digestable and some are not digestable at all and will just pass through your body. Combinations of fat, protein, and fiber should make you feel less hungry. I've found that by playing with the different combinations of foods I plan out for my meals daily, I can come pretty close to meeting my macros (which I changed off the pre-sets to 40/30/30 - it seems to work best for me). Also, look at the overall big picture. Some days I go more carb-heavy than others. I usually try to look at my "weekly" summary on my app to see if I need to make adjustments to my macros. Also, I don't worry about going over calories on a single day if my total deficit for the week is still around 7,000 calories (2 lbs a week loss). It's a budget, and like your bank account, doesn't automatically reset at midnight every night.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    1200 cals is too low for anyone. Go to 1500-1700.

That depends. The lower your weight, the lower the calories should be. The bigger you are, the more calories you can eat and still lose weight. My MAINTENANCE is 1700. To lose, MFP had mine set to 1300 and it worked just fine.

OP - diary food choices look great. Drink more water!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Well, for one I would eat more than 1200. That's really not enough for most people.

To put in perspective, I weighed about 145, and got down to 124lbs eating 1300 a day, but I was unable to put on adequate muscle and I don't feel as good as I do now eating more.