What to do with Avage Syrup

Options
justal313
justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
I bought Avage syrup for a Brussels sprouts recipe (below) and while I will be making the Brussels sprouts often I'm looking for other suggestions..

about 2 pounds of brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
olive oil to coat
(sea salt)
2 Tbsp spicy mustard
2 Tbsp agave nectar
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Halve the brussels sprouts and put in a large mixing bowl.

Add just enough olive oil to coat them, mixing them around. Spread them evenly on a baking tray (with sides) and add a few shakes of sea salt. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until the brussels sprouts are vibrant green and just starting to brown. Turn over and toss around the tray.

In a small bowl, whisk the agave and spicy mustard together. (Use the same bowl you mixed the sprouts and oil in to put down on cleanup!) Add more or less of either to taste, but an equal ratio tastes great!

Using a cooking brush, brush on the agave and mustard mixture until all is used. If you run out, make a little more using an even amount of each.

Put tray back in the oven, roast for another 15-20 minutes, tossing once more to brown the brussels sprouts. Take them out when they are soft (not mushy!) and browned.

Replies

• Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Just use agave in any recipe that calls for honey. Nice idea with the sprouts, thanks.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Buuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmppppppppp
  • libbiebowers
    Options
    Agave works great as a sweetener in general. It doesn't raise your glycemic index and it is much lower in calories than sugar. You can use it to sweeten your coffee or tea. You can use it in place of sugar in recipes or as a honey replacement.

If using in a baking recipe, you will need to raise the amount of dry ingredients or else the recipe won't work.