Binge eating and negative automatic thoughts...

Options
For those who have battled with their weight on and off and who have more than 50 pounds to lose, how do you stay motivated when you know how far you have to go?

I've tried the mini-goals; I look for the NSV's; and I try not to be too focused on the scale. However, it's just hard for me to get out the mindset that this will end in failure...again. If I even have a cookie, I find myself thinking that the whole day is a waste, so I may as well eat the whole batch. Then, I wake up the next morning and figure that my efforts are completely derailed and I may as well go on a self-indulgent binge until the following Monday when I'll "really get serious this time" until I inevitably fall off the wagon again.

Bear in mind, though I can say it like this, it's not a 'conscious' decision. It's like I'm on auto pilot when I'm on a binge. I've also dealt with other disordered eating behaviors on the other end of the spectrum when I was quite thin and would binge and purge. I've overcome the purging, but haven't been able to conquer the binge and the negative automatic thoughts that trigger it. I've been in therapy and have had some success with that. But I'm wondering if you've dealt with similar issue and overcome them. And if so, how?

I should also note that my husband travels for work. He's gone for two weeks at a time and I'm home alone with the kids. I find that when he IS home, I'm not as likely to binge - so I think loneliness and stress of caring for two young kids alone are definitely triggers - as well as the plain old lack of accountability to someone else. I've been a closet eater for as long as I can remember. Food = shame and I would die if my husband (or anyone else) witnessed a binge. So when he's home, it's definitely easier to be "good."

I appreciate any input you may have -- particularly if you currently struggle or have struggled in the past with these issues.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am also a binge eater!!! Not happy about this but, I am usually ok - follow exercise and food plan but... every now and then (apx once/month) all of a sudden I start eating and it is like someone or something has inhabited my body and keeps shoving food into me. I eat everything and anything until I am almost sick. I tend to do this when bored and lonely. I have never told my husband or anyone. But, about two weeks ago, I binged in middle of day and finally sent my hubby an email explaining this. He was so supportive - I am very lucky.

Yesterday was a VICTORY for me as it was going to happen again. I ate a p'nut butter protein bar (my weakness), some veggies, then opened the jar of p'nut butter but......stopped. I was arguing with myself to eat and feel guilty and sick, get the hell out of there or what. I left p'nut butter, went to bathroom, took long bath, sat in the bed and breathed. An hour passed and I stopped. I then kept telling my self of the success.

Hope this helps.