1200 Cal/day... can you really make the goals match up?

Options
I've just started tracking (less than 2 weeks) and while I've stayed at or just under my calorie goal every day (except for one splurge day) I can't seem to make any of the goals match up. I'm ALWAYS over in protein, sugar, and fiber, and almost always under in carbs and fat. Can anyone help? My diary is open, what do I need to change? Or does it not matter that much?

Replies

• kend9998
    kend9998 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've not been on here long enough to give much advice, but just wanted to say that I'm over on protein just about every day as well. I think the sugar, carbs, fat, etc. are more like limits than goals, but I could be wrong...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Change your macros. Protein and fat should be based on weight, and anything else you can assign out as you see fit. Personally I don't track sugar separately since it's a carb. I'm also almost always over on fats; meh, it's not fat that makes you fat, and I try to stick to healthier types of fat.

For more info on how much to eat and where to set your macros:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • EvelynMama
    Options
    Instead of thinking about calories per day think about calories per week. If you're doing 1200 calories per day, that means you're taking 8400 calories per week. That gives you a little bit more room to work with. 1200 kcal is sooo hard to accomplish and be nutritionally healthy. I'd recommend bumping it up to 1500 (just my opinion) However, sticking with 1200 kcal fat and protein need to be your main priority. Carbs are an important macro nutrient however, your body can go without them. You're body however CANNOT go without proteins and fats. Start taking a multivitamin and a viactiv calcium chew. Multivitamin in the morning, Calcium chew at night (iron and calcium cannot be absorbed together) And instead of thinking about meals, start thinking ala cart. Some days you might pair an egg with a serving of tuna fish. Another day you might pair carrots with skim milk. And instead of eating three big meals, make sure you're eating 4-6 times a day, smaller meals.
  • mrslynch
    mrslynch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    So I actually need to meet my fat goal every day? I've been thinking about adding a mulit-vitamin, I think I will. It's hard to eat a bunch of times a day while I'm working, but I've thought about that too, maybe I can add some more easy snacks. I looked at the calculator, and it put me at 2200 cal/day... I have a hard enough time eating reasonable food and hitting 1200, I have no idea how I could get to 1200 without eating junk, I'm full at the end of the day now!