Help for home strength training

Options
Hello all :) I'd like to add some strength training so I look good naked not just thin. At this point I'm not going to get a gym membership. At work we have some small weights that can scale up. At home i have a year and a half old daughter. She's about 22 lbs and loves being picked up and dipped. Currently cant do a full push up (can do girly push ups and plank -chataranga to up-dog) and dont have a pull up bar. Please can some one recomend some exercises i should do and how much and how regularly? I know squats are good (dont know how they should look when i do it though) and push ups/sit ups.

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, deadlifts, rows, presses, push-ups...the variations are endless. Check out a strength training book at your local library. Get workouts and watch videos on bodybuilding.com

Congratulations on making the wise decision to add strength training to your fitness routine.
  • Shweet_heart
    Shweet_heart Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add, as I'm in the same boat! Not sure how to start weight training at home! Replied so I can get some info too :)
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Work on knee push-ups till you can do sets of 10, then work on full push-ups. Even if your form isn't perfect, you're still doing something.
    Crunches - feet shoulder width apart and pointed forward, keep the knee from going past the toes. You can do hands out, hands over the head, hands behind the head, holding weights, etc. I like doing a calf raise at the top part of the squat.
    Skip sit-ups - they're inefficient. Do planks instead.

I'd add in chair dips or bodyweight rows (yo u can use a broomstick across chairs or a table) as well.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Look up dumb bell exercises on YouTube. They have a ton.

Edited to add: I also have the You Are Your Own Gym app on my ipad. I can't remember if it cost anything but it is great. It has a ton of videos of body weight exercises. It does not require a wifi connection so you can take it anywhere.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I use a program called "You are your own gym" by Mark Lauren. He has a book and there is an app also. You don't even have to think, the programs are all there for you.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I use a program called "You are your own gym" by Mark Lauren. He has a book and there is an app also. You don't even have to think, the programs are all there for you.

Sorry, I don't have anything to add. I'm going to check this out! Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • val95kb
    val95kb Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you want a free resource, I recommend checking out http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness.asp. They post short workout /strength training videos and they can vary from 5 or 6 minutes to 20 or 30 minutes. I think they also give you technique instruction.
  • kingmmmy
    kingmmmy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the jillian micheals 30 day shred I know its like 9.00 at walmart and cheaper online but I have noticed a great change in my body since doing this plus she has strength training in it and being that I am a mom also it is a 20 min workout so there's no excuse not doing it.