Is it Dangerous to go over sugar limit for the day???

Options
I recently added the sugar column to my diary page, and was shocked how often I go over the sugar for the day, I do tend to have a sweet tooth, but its generally what I would think of as healthy sugar, like fruit, with maybe two "unhealthy" sweets a day. As I continue in the weight loss journey, would it be dangerous to continue to go over?? Will it hinder me down the road???

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Not immediately dangerous unless you are diabetic no. Don't stress about the fruit sugar, but moderate your servings, don't have 200g grapes in one sitting, consider choosing lower sugar fruits like berries, red or black currants, grapefruit, rhubarb.

Be sure your sugary/ refined/ processed foods are no more than 10% of daily calories which is usually one small snack. Keep the dark chocolate, that is nutrient dense stuff, switch to a plain Greek yoghurt and add your own fruit for flavour, lose the cake and brownies they are taking you up to 30%!

You aren't eating much in the way of vegetables many days nor enough healthy fats (nuts, seeds, avocado, olives), these should help fill you up so you don't get sugar cravings. You are also very low on mineral and fibre rich foods (beans, lentils, nuts, seeds) which again will help keep blood glucose stable and you feeling full. Remember MFP protein and fats are minimums not optimal.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Not immediately dangerous unless you are diabetic no. Don't stress about the fruit sugar, but moderate your servings, don't have 200g grapes in one sitting, consider choosing lower sugar fruits like berries, red or black currants, grapefruit, rhubarb.

Be sure your sugary/ refined/ processed foods are no more than 10% of daily calories which is usually one small snack. Keep the dark chocolate, that is nutrient dense stuff, switch to a plain Greek yoghurt and add your own fruit for flavour, lose the cake and brownies they are taking you up to 30%!

You aren't eating much in the way of vegetables many days nor enough healthy fats (nuts, seeds, avocado, olives), these should help fill you up so you don't get sugar cravings. You are also very low on mineral and fibre rich foods (beans, lentils, nuts, seeds) which again will help keep blood glucose stable and you feeling full. Remember MFP protein and fats are minimums not optimal.

Those are excellent tips, thanks!
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    It's not a limit. It's a goal. Xx
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    nope your good, now you can relax
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    would someone please give me an answer to this question for someone that is borderline diabetic? My wife tries to spread her sugar evenly throughout the day but always go over for the daily total. I know what she is eating and she eats very well for the most part. This is a concern she has been having recently.

I am surprised to see how much sugar is in reguler foods like meats and vegtables sometimes.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Dangerous?....dangerous is running into a house that is on fire...going over on your sugar intake isn't. LOL seriously Firefox had good advice for you...couldnt said it better.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    would someone please give me an answer to this question for someone that is borderline diabetic? My wife tries to spread her sugar evenly throughout the day but always go over for the daily total. I know what she is eating and she eats very well for the most part. This is a concern she has been having recently.

I am surprised to see how much sugar is in reguler foods like meats and vegtables sometimes.

There is little to no sugar in a plain meat, are you buying processed/ ready cooked/ deli/ marinaded stuff? If so consider switching off most prepared and processed foods, buy items with one ingredient that look the same as when they came off the plant or animal and make food from scratch so you completely control the ingredients.

Don't worry about the few grams of sugars in non starchy vegetables as many are as low as 1g carbs per 100g just have a wide variety of bright and dark ones in the full rainbow of colours, consider avoiding the high sugar ones like sweetcorn tho and look at portion control with carrots and other root vegetables. I suspect US citizens think carrots are high because they are dense so a cup is quite a large serving. Here in the UK a standard serving of produce is by weight (80g) which makes for a fairer comparison.

Your wife should be concerned about any or all of the carbs in her diet, not just sugars. She might find it helpful to research the glycaemic index - basically some starches are actually worse for blood sugar levels than table sugar. The best ones are non starchy vegetables, beans, lentils and barley. Processed wheat, most rice, corn/ maize and white potatoes are not good at all. Also consider portion size (glycaemic load) and combinations - NEVER have carbs or sugars alone ALWAYS with protein, fat and fibre to slow the digestion and absorption.

Insulin resistance can be reversed and type 2 diabetes become asymptomatic/ need no medication with targeted diet, exercise and weight management, the research is fascinating and very encouraging. Has your wife been referred to a registered dietician and an exercise professional? Is she having plenty of oily fish and mineral/ fibre rich foods (nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, cocoa)? There are nutrient deficiencies linked to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes and prescribed can worsen this.