I have a hard time being patient!

Options
I've been at this for almost a month now, and while I've found that tracking my food, staying within my goals each day, and exercising regularly has really not been very difficult at all, I am struggling with thoughts of wanting to speed things up. I have quite a bit of weight to lose, and I know that it will not come off overnight, as it took years for me to get to where I am now. I also know that I want to maintain a healthy lifestyle for many years to come, and that this is something that needs to be permanent in my life. But, how do I convince my mind that I don't need to try to rush this?

Replies

• RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Track your Non-Scale Victories (NSVs)!!!

Did you put a new hole in your belt? Write it down. Do you see the beginnings of a bicep? Write it down. Did you turn down a second cupcake at a birthday party? Write it down.

You have to track your progress that isn't in numbers. You've done great so far, so keep at it! Find one success every day to keep you positive.
  • mndtowka
    Options
    Track your Non-Scale Victories (NSVs)!!!

Did you put a new hole in your belt? Write it down. Do you see the beginnings of a bicep? Write it down. Did you turn down a second cupcake at a birthday party? Write it down.

You have to track your progress that isn't in numbers. You've done great so far, so keep at it! Find one success every day to keep you positive.

Love this idea!!!
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already take your measurements. That will help you see the progress more. Also, set short term goals, such as when you have lost 20 lbs. Something you would be happy for. Tell you husband also. It is amazing to see how well the little goals can keep you going.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I think my approach is different than many here. My goals are to meet my calorie and exercise targets each day (well-I look at a weekly picture). Each day (week) I meet my targets is a success and a step towards living this way forever. In my world, weight loss is the "reward" for meeting my goals and not the goal itself. I figure if I eat right & exercise, the weight will take care of itself. It has-and I'm not looking at a specific weight or pounds lost as a goal-just taking it one day (week) at a time and letting the results happen. Hope that makes sense to someone other than me.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I thought of one more thing that has really helped me. I took pictures of myself (in my underwear) when I started. No one has seen them except me, but every time I come across them on my phone I cannot go back to where I was and that makes me walk a little more..
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    It will come. I know it is easier said than done, but be patient with yourself. You have taken the first step and started to eat healthy. Unfortunately, we cannot afford things that Stars do like personal trainers coming to our homes and personal chiefs making our meals. We are real people so it takes time. Stay with it set goals within limits and be proud of who you are and what you have accomplished so far. I don't even know you and I am proud of you for eating healthy and making the right choices to do so.
  • JefferyMartin
    JefferyMartin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Your mind is a powerful thing! Weight is just a number! It is inches that are huge. Take one day at a time. Set daily goals ie. carbs/pro/fat and commit! Things will not change over night and things might not change over three months. Be thankful for the changes that already have taken place. Its having consistency in your daily life.
  • shannonsky
    shannonsky Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think my approach is different than many here. My goals are to meet my calorie and exercise targets each day (well-I look at a weekly picture). Each day (week) I meet my targets is a success and a step towards living this way forever. In my world, weight loss is the "reward" for meeting my goals and not the goal itself. I figure if I eat right & exercise, the weight will take care of itself. It has-and I'm not looking at a specific weight or pounds lost as a goal-just taking it one day (week) at a time and letting the results happen. Hope that makes sense to someone other than me.

This is something I struggle with also and this is an awesome way to think about it. It is hard, though! One day at a time.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

This is something I struggle with also and this is an awesome way to think about it. It is hard, though! One day at a time.

It's a big shift in thinking really, but has completely taken away my self-imposed pressure to lose x pounds or to weigh x amount or to do so in x amount of time. It's really helped me to change this to a permanent lifestyle change as opposed to a path to x weight (or clothing size or whatever). I'm not a particularly patient person, and I started out morbidly obese-so I had a LONG way to go. Changing my way of thinking to look at maintaining the healthy habits as the goal rather than focusing on the results of those habits has helped me immeasurably in terms of patience.
  • blinker86
    blinker86 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    So many great replies! I definitely do need to acknowledge each NSV and keep track of them. I know they're happening, but it can be easy to overlook them, although they are definitely great accomplishments. I also plan to start doing measurements in February, since I did not do that initially, and am going to do monthly progress pictures to help myself see the changes. I think this is definitely a mind over matter thing, and I need to train my brain to maintain positive thoughts as I keep moving along.
  • doitforabby
    doitforabby Posts: 137 Member
    Options

This is what I try & do also. Some days are hard, I just keep telling myself, it will all be worth it. I don't really have a 'goal weight' I just keep taking it day by day & do my best to eat well & get some exercise every day.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. It is not always easy, and there will be a few bad days, but well worth the effort. It is hard to be patient, but look at it this way, a year from now you will be in a better place. Concentrate on small goals, and acknowledge them. My overall improvement in how I feel and the weight I have lost are my rewards. Knowing this is the way I will live from now on (hopefully) makes it a little easier. For motivation, come and read the posts.......it works for me, and others here.
    Good luck and keep on doing what you are doing so far, it is working for you!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for almost a month now, and while I've found that tracking my food, staying within my goals each day, and exercising regularly has really not been very difficult at all, I am struggling with thoughts of wanting to speed things up. I have quite a bit of weight to lose, and I know that it will not come off overnight, as it took years for me to get to where I am now. I also know that I want to maintain a healthy lifestyle for many years to come, and that this is something that needs to be permanent in my life. But, how do I convince my mind that I don't need to try to rush this?

here's how you do it.

you can lose weight quickly, but the tradeoff is that you'll also lose muscle in the process. high calorie deficits + cardio result in muscle loss. you'll get to your goal weight, but you won't be happy with what you see in the mirror, and it'll take you alot longer and more hard work to put that muscle back on.

instead, lose more slowly and preserve your muscle. you do this by actually lifting weights and eating enough protein every day. by exercising your muscles while you're in a calorie deficit, your body will take more of its energy needs from stored fat than by catabolizing muscle.

this alone is a compelling argument to go slow and add strength training to your regimen immediately. spend some time reading and learning about why this is important and then incorporate what you've learned into your overall strategy. start here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress