throwing in the towel

Options
I have decided to throw in the towel after 2 years of zero weight loss and ask the doctor for a prescription diet pill. If you read my profile you can get a better picture of my weight loss saga, so for the purpose of space I'll give you the short version here. I've been thin all my life, even after my pregnancy with my now 22 year old son, until May 02' when I began packing on pounds due to an awful relationship. By March 03' I had gone from 104 to 160 and decided I had enough, kicked him to the curb. In August of 03' I began exercising and eating right and was able to lose 42 pounds by September of 04'.( which to me seems like a really long time for such a small amount ) It hit the fan again in Jan. of 05' and by March of 05' I put the weight back on(150) . Started the whole thing again in Feb. 06' and even added an elliptical & "the bean" in Jan. 07 and no progress. Finally went to see a doctor Jan. 08' (155) and found everything to be fine, even my thyroid, so I consulted a nutritionist. Followed the advice given to a T (1500 cal, 50-60g carb, watch fat, up protein) and managed to gain 7.5 pounds in 3 months! The emotional and physical toll this battle is taking on me is just too much and I've resigned myself to the fact that I might be one of those people that needs that extra push. By no means am I going to give up on eating right , exercise, and using this site, I just feel if I don't do this I will easily be 180 by the end of summer. Thank you to those who have given me advice. :cry:

Replies

• littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have decided to throw in the towel after 2 years of zero weight loss and ask the doctor for a prescription diet pill. If you read my profile you can get a better picture of my weight loss saga, so for the purpose of space I'll give you the short version here. I've been thin all my life, even after my pregnancy with my now 22 year old son, until May 02' when I began packing on pounds due to an awful relationship. By March 03' I had gone from 104 to 160 and decided I had enough, kicked him to the curb. In August of 03' I began exercising and eating right and was able to lose 42 pounds by September of 04'.( which to me seems like a really long time for such a small amount ) It hit the fan again in Jan. of 05' and by March of 05' I put the weight back on(150) . Started the whole thing again in Feb. 06' and even added an elliptical & "the bean" in Jan. 07 and no progress. Finally went to see a doctor Jan. 08' (155) and found everything to be fine, even my thyroid, so I consulted a nutritionist. Followed the advice given to a T (1500 cal, 50-60g carb, watch fat, up protein) and managed to gain 7.5 pounds in 3 months! The emotional and physical toll this battle is taking on me is just too much and I've resigned myself to the fact that I might be one of those people that needs that extra push. By no means am I going to give up on eating right , exercise, and using this site, I just feel if I don't do this I will easily be 180 by the end of summer. Thank you to those who have given me advice. :cry:
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    perhaps you should get yout thyroid checked again? talk to your dr maybe there could be something else going on?
    j~
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you, Littleone.

I am not one to tell you to "hang in there".. I have battled weight all my life. If you can maintain through exercise and a healthy (but not a dictatorial one), then I would recommend not thinking about "losing weight" all the time. take a break, maintain, and find something you love to do outside. You may find that stress has been one of your greatest downfalls.

I am not one to tell you that you shouldn't go to the doctor and try a prescription. For one it is successful. Just remember.. those healthy habits you have worked so hard to adopt can help you stay healthy for the rest of your life.

Best of luck!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Losing weight isn't easy and each person needs to do what they feel is the right thing for them. If you feel like you have truly done everything in your power to lose weight and now you are asking for a Rx and you feel that is right then you need to do it...........

just one question, what are you going to do when you have lost the weight and get off the pill?
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Welcome Little One:flowerforyou: Stay with this to mostly learn to eat healthier . There is all the support you can possibly ask for here, with caring people who understand.:heart:
  • Mlieb
    Mlieb Posts: 121
    Options
    I am very weary of those diet pills there has to be a better solution. Please do not give up....unless it will take an emotional toll on you.
  • littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone !!! My heart breaks because I feel as if I'm letting you all down. Part of the purpose of this site it seems is to find other alternatives to medication, but I honestly feel something is definitely wrong. The doctor did say that my thyroid was fine (i will ask to have it checked again) , so I have been investigating on my own what other causes there are to the weight gain I've experienced. I've found that low estrogen, insulin resistance, and depression to name a few are contributing factors. I believe that if I didn't watch what I eat and exercise the way I do now, I would no doubt be obese. This compounded with a horrid family medical history scares the beejeebees out of me. My family on my mother's side has a history of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, cancer, heart attack, arthritis, diabetes, paraxial dystonia, and last but not least weight issues. I've already lost two aunts and a cousin in the last 7 months and various relatives over the years and I'm quite sure a few more cousins will follow over the next few years. I am not a person to jump into things lightly and will be happy to listen to what the doctor thinks, there has to be a solution in there somewhere. To mnbarnum who asked what am I going to do when I've lost the weight and get off the pills.....PRAY that my body was able to get back on track and keep on eating healthy , exercising, and rooting for all of you!!!!:bigsmile: