Does weight affect calorie burn?

Question: Does a heavier person burn more calories doing the same exercise a lighter person? What I mean is if I walked for 30 minutes with my other half would I burn more calories than him? He weighs about 138 pounds and I weigh about 100 more than that! If the answer is yes, does anybody know why?

Thanks,

Jade x

Replies

• Swibbels01
    Swibbels01 Posts: 47 Member
    Typically yes, however if you want an accurate calorie burn reading, use a heart rate monitor
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Yes, because the workload is greater. It takes more energy to move 250lbs 1/2 mile down the road than it does 150lbs down the same half mile.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Question: Does a heavier person burn more calories doing the same exercise a lighter person? What I mean is if I walked for 30 minutes with my other half would I burn more calories than him? He weighs about 138 pounds and I weigh about 100 more than that! If the answer is yes, does anybody know why?

Thanks,

Jade x
    Yes. The reason why is it take more energy to move something heavier.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    If the answer is yes, does anybody know why?

Yes - it's basic physics. The energy expended is equal to the amount of work done. Work done = force (needed to move a mass/weight) x the distance. Since you weigh more than your other half, your work done (for the same distance) is greater than his. There are a few more variables, but those are largely negligible for this particular case.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Yes.

However, a lighter person, on average, is in better shape, and would likely achieve a higher calorie burn than a heavier person, because a person in better shape is able to exercise with greater intensity.
  • jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    Awesome! Quiestion answered! Thank you to all :) Makes sense now! :) x
  • tigerlion2013
    tigerlion2013 Posts: 16 Member
    Which is why professional cyclists have that lean build for all the reasons previous posters described. People with a lean build have an advantage over stocky guys on those hills.