5k, 10k, half marathon

Options
Anyone participating in any races this year? Which ones. Walking, jogging, running, how do you prepare?

Replies

• SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'll probably do a trail half marathon as a supported long run while getting ready for a traithlon.

Many different ways to approach training. Tell us a little about your background and goals and we should be able to give somepointers.
  • HuneeBunee08
    Options
    Well normally me and my family do atleast 1 5k a year.. This year we are going to do a race about once a month. We always walk. My doctor says because of my weight, it would be too stressful on my knees to run. I would like to be able to jog a whole 5k before i move up to 10k. I look at a few webs sites but they were all for running. Mine would be from walking to jogging..
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    All of the above, plus a full marathon, Ragnar Relay (again, did one first of Jan) and a couple 10 mile races as well as 8ks and a 15k. I'll be running unless something awful happens and I have to walk.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    None of those planned yet, but I do have 2 full marathons in the fall
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Ran my first race Jan 6. It was a 5k I do every January. I have another 5k in March then a 10k trail the week after.

All of this is leading up to a half marathon in July, my first one :)
  • Kayciemae02
    Kayciemae02 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am planning to do "The Color Run 5k" in July. I'm hoping to jog it. I have a hard time with my knees now and again. If you have a smart phone, there are lots of apps (some even for free) that are along the lines of a couch to 5k. They ease you into it so you walk then jog on and off, and the farther into it you get - the more time you are jogging than walking. I found it very helpful last fall, and will probably use it again soon.
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the Couch to 5K program? (C25K) That is what I used. At first the running is very minimal and the time running builds over several weeks. Once you complete that program they also have a training program for 10K - C210K. Make sure to follow you doctor's advice and listen to your body to avoid injury! Good luck!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    5k in mid-March. Not sure after that. Here is a link if anyone in metro Boston wants to give it a try.

http://baevents.com/rasnaheireann/
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    to get to you 5k try googling the C25k program. It incorporate walking and running. I used it and I am a large girl with not so great knees but I can easily jog 5k and more now. Its a great program. There is a follow on after to 10k as well. Good luck :)
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have a few different 5k's, a 10k in Sept and a 7.5 mile run in May. I will run as much as possible. You might try the c25k program if you are interested in running. It slowly get's you increasing your run times and from what my doctor had told me the gradual increase isn't hard on your joints.
  • AmyS1975
    AmyS1975 Posts: 143
    Options
    5k Color Run in August in Montreal and half marathon in Montreal in September. My FIRST two official runs ever! I'm more of a cyclist. Will need to train hard and smart.
  • Mtfd02
    Mtfd02 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 5k, 10k, Half marathon, mud plunge, Hero Rush, and trying to get the Army 10 miler

If you google Couch to 5k, that program should get you to the jogging a whole 5k, also on Runner's World there is a smartcoach to plan your race and how often to run how many miles etc.
  • hwalt001
    Options
    I am doing a 5mile in Apri (registered today ek!), the color run in July, hopefully 10miles in September and the Disney Half/Full in January 2014!

I challenge myself each day setting how far I want to go, if I feel good I make it further and during the distance I will set times to finish. Its fun and to think I used to hate running!
  • afavaloro
    afavaloro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Signed up for my first 5K at the end of March. I'm incredibly out of shape, so I'm working up to it. As long as I finish!
  • fullofhope76
    Options
    So far I am signed up for the Air Climb, which is stairs, lots of 'em (47 stories) and the Dirty Girl Mud Run. We usually do the Susan G Komen brast cancer 5K and I really want to do the Color run this year. I am just trying to build my stamina right now going on the treadmill for the same time, but faster speed. I need to find a good way to prep my legs for the stairs though. So far I am doing lots of lunges and squats!
  • HuneeBunee08
    Options
    Lol the whole time i thought C25K was a diet pill or something.. I will definetely look into that now.. Im planning on doing the Graffiti Run, Cowtown, and the Vampire 5k!!
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm running the Towpath Half Marathon on April 7th. As for training, I'm running 3 days a week adding a mile or two each week, and strength training 2 days a week with a walk.

I'm hoping to run a marathon in the Fall.
  • toddslaten1
    toddslaten1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Doing a Leadman 125 in April and Ironman Arizona in November! Will sprinkle in some sprints and hopefully a 1/2 mary in the springtime...
  • mirsasha
    Options
    I do 5ks and 10ks often. I walk because my right hip is bone on bone and running is far too painful. I'm walking my first half-marathon this weekend. I joined a local chapter of USA Fit to train. Maybe see if there's one in your area? http://www.usafit.com/
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I want to do a few zombie runs :) and some obsticle 5ks or something.. Hopefully a half marathon too!