Normal to lose more weight in the first few weeks?

Options
Hi everyone! I lost 3 lbs in the first two weeks keeping track of my calories on MFP. I set my goals to lose 1/2 pound per week.

I am breastfeeding and using the 500 breastfeeding calories each day. I definitely want to lose weight and have 20 lbs to go, but not at the expense of my milk supply. So I wanted to be conservative in my estimates on daily calorie expenditure so I put in 1/2 pound per week and lightly active. Do I need to change these or is it normal to lose a little more quickly initially? I do no exercise right now, other than care for my 5 month old baby and I have 2 other kids in school, as well. I am a stay at home mom.

So what do you think? Adjust my calorie goals or leave it as is and see how it goes? So far my milk supply has been fine...

Replies

• Dougf90
    Dougf90 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    When you make changes in your diet like that, it's natural to shed some water weight in the beginning.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I believe the first few weeks we tend to lose the excess water in our systems. --especially if we are making a drastic change to caloric intake or beginning an exercise routine. I also set my goal at 1# per week - have stayed within my calorie goals every day and began exercising 5/6 days a week...I'm actually down 8# in these frist 3 weeks (2.7# per week average) I'm extatic with that, but I I don't expect it to continue at this rate forever.
  • Mercambus
    Options
    Perfectly normal in my experience. It is probably water weight as others have stated. If you are just beginning to exercise it can lead to water weight loss or if you just recently started to really focus on diet changes, your sodium intake may be lower which lowers water retention. It will probably slow down soon. From there you can start to manipulate activity or eating to achieve the rate you desire.