Pre-workout??

Options
2»

Replies

• GainsAndGuitars
    Options
    You can also try other brands of Pre workouts that don't have beta alanine or niacin in them. That's what usually gives you the tingles and the jingles. I personally use Assault on some occasions...when I am dragging *kitten* and need a boost before going to the gym or if I have a big workout day scheduled.

I hate the jingles and tingles!! There's no need for my lips and ears to feel that way! lol. Did you ever get a weird feeling like that after drinking it??

Occasionally. Really depends on food intake so far that day and the amount of Assault that I take. I usually get tingles in my arms/hands though.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    If I wanted to take a pre workout supplement, I'd go to a drug store and get generic caffeine pills.

or you can just make some coffee :)

Which is what I do, but if I wanted more caffeine than that, I'd go with the pills. I don't want to drink 5 cups and piss myself in the middle of a set.

psh. i consider my workout a failure if i haven't pissed or crapped myself. :laugh:

Bucket squats?
  • GainsAndGuitars
    Options
    I currently use Assault but it makes me retain water. Probably due to the creatine in it. You need to drink LOTS of water if you take any pre workouts, especially something with creatine.

I've also tried Jack3d (before they reformulated it), Cellucor C4, and No Explode. Jack3d was by far my favorite- it gave me a swift kick in the rear thanks to the chemical motivation (or placebo... whatevs). I have no clue if it works as well now that they took out the DMAA. I did like No Explode and C4, they just didn't get me jump started the same. Assault is probably my least favorite because of the water retention and it doesn't seem to work as well.

Here's the thing: every few years a new chemical is discovered that becomes all the rage for preworkouts,weight loss, etc. Then, young athletes start dropping dead and it's linked to the substances. DMAA was one of them. Long story short, they seem to make me go that extra mile and lift that extra rep, but who knows just how harmful they are in the long run? It's better to get natural stuff like everyone is suggesting. I happen to like them; I do what I wantttt.

There is a new Jack3d (Jack3d Micro) that doesn't have the beta alanine or niacin in it (I believe). I haven't heard if this formula is any good though...
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    D-stunner!
    Momentum!

I don't know. I've taken some sometimes and I just end up peeing every few minutes. I guess I'm burning extra cals running to and from the bathroom between sets?
  • jonmico
    jonmico Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Waste of money in my opinion.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    :tongue: I've been told that after weight training, you should eat some protein shortly after. Usually I have some coffee before going to the gym to wake me up, and either take a protein bar with me, or buy one there. I personally love the lenny and larrys muscle brownies, although they only have about 10g of protein. Still not bad, though, and better than stopping at Mcdonalds on the way home because I'm starving from working out and not having breakfast yet.
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I tried Assault and didn't find it did much for me.

Jack3d (pre-reformulated) was my favorite. I bought a few bottles before they put the new stuff on the shelves so I haven't tried the new version yet.

I also like C4. It has a great taste and gives me a nice boost.