best exercise machine??

kingon8
kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
So I want to get something to exercise on at home with my tax return. Any suggestions? Right now I am thinking treadmill, elliptical, or bike?? Any other suggestions, if you have had great success with a machine please share! I cant afford all 3 or I would go for it. I have also thought about the gazelle??:smile:

Replies

• kingon8
    So I want to get something to exercise on at home with my tax return. Any suggestions? Right now I am thinking treadmill, elliptical, or bike?? Any other suggestions, if you have had great success with a machine please share! I cant afford all 3 or I would go for it. I have also thought about the gazelle??:smile:
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    I have a treadmill and i love it!!!! thats what i would suggest.
  • elfudge
    elfudge Posts: 1
    I'd stay away from a bike if you have a desk job or one where you don't get to be very active - that's what a fitness trainer of mine told me.
  • kingon8
    another one I thought about, a rebounder? does anyone use one of these, and how do you use it? by doing jumping jacks or do you just bounce?
  • winwin
    winwin Posts: 134 Member
    I love the treadmill too, but my husband brought home an elliptical and even though i find the work out hard for my muscles (its so long since I did anything other than walking so I am retraining my muscles) it works my stomach and butt as well. The definition in my leg muscles in about a month, maybe not that long, is amazing. I'm not sure of the calorie burn comparison either, but I think I remember reading that the elliptical burns more calories.

Good luck on the choice, keep us informed as to which you choose?

Leslie:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    This really depends on you.

In the April 2008 article "The Ultimate Cardio-Sculpting Fat-Burning Circut" by Thomas Fahey, EdD in Fitness RX, he breaks down three cardio machines:

Treadmill: You burn more calories running than walking on the treadmill. Treadmill running burns more calories than any other aerobic exercise machines because it's easier to increase heart rate.

Elliptical Trainer: Try to maintain at least 100 rpm when doing this form of exercise. Adjust the resistance so you reach the required heart rate. For best exercise, do not grasp the railings during exercise.

Stationary Bike: Some women have trouble increasing their heart rate on the stationary bike because they set the resistance too high. Keep the tension low enough to enable you to ride at 80 rpm or more.

If you have trouble with high impact cardio due to joint, foot, back, etc. problems then the treadmill may not be for you. I had foot surgery on both feet as a teenager and the treadmill often makes life difficult.

The elliptical trainer is great because it's low-impact cardio. A good machine will work your upper and lower body and according to Wikipedia.org, "A recent study by the University of Idaho shows that varying the stride length on the elliptical trainer can recruit a larger variety of muscle groups. The study also showed that as the stride is lengthened, more calories are burned without any higher rate of perceived exertion by the user. This study lends credibility to the claims made about the adjustable stride length feature on some newer ellipticals."

Stationary bikes are good as well since "a vigorous one-hour ride on a stationary bike burns about the same number of calories as running for an hour at 7 mph" (Wikipedia.org).

I recommend the elliptical trainer since it provides great workout due to the variety of programs, speeds, inclines, and varieties of direction (you can go forwards as well as backwards).

The only downside to elliptical trainers are the cost. Refer to "Before You Buy an Elliptical Trainer" at About.com. According to this website, a good machine can cost you from $300 to $4000 and you'll want a machine that'll last; this is something a $300.00 machine may not provide.

Good Luck In Your Search!

References:

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercisegear/bb/bybelliptical.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptical_trainer

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercisegear/a/treadelliptical.htm

Fahey, Thomas (2008). "The Ultimate Cardio-Sculpting Fat-Burning Circuit" Fitness RX for Women.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    I love my treadmill, recently purchased a new mountain bike and spend one or two workouts on that. A friend of mine has a treadclimber from bowflex, you know the treadmill that is also like an elliptical and she swears by it, and her butt and legs look awesome.

Get which ever one you are most motivated to use. Look at places like sears too, I bought my treadmill at sears, it was a floor model on sale from 1800 down to 750, I got the warranty and it has been 8 years and it is still kicking my butt.

Buy one this year and save for one next year and the next year and the next and ...you get the idea!
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    If you are looking purely for calorie burn than I recommend the treadmill or elliptical. I have both, and a bike. The bike is barely used unless I am reading a magazine or talking on the phone!
    I have a Polar heart monitor and have found that running on the treadmill burns more cals than the elliptical, but walking burns less. I have also found (this is for me and may differ for others..) that the elliptical machine display shows a lot more cals burned than in actuality - the treadmill is closer but still off.
    I usually prefer the elliptical because it is a less intensive workout and doesn't make my body hurt so much afterwards. And I have a cheapo - the nicer ones in gyms have more options.
    Whatever you end up buying - enjoy! I love having equipment at home because I work out so much more.
  • jnkreis
    jnkreis Posts: 51 Member
    I have a treadmill, an elliptical, and a a Total Gym. It depends on what you like to do too. If you invest all of those well deserved tax return dollars on a machine for the purpose of the workout alone, you might get disappointed because it's not something that you like to do but more what you have to do. I found this with the elliptical sometimes, while I enjoy it sometimes, I felt like it was an obligation vs. something that I enjoyed doing. I love my Total Gym. It uses your own body weight for resistance, and has settings. The other thing is that you can do it while watching tv, and it folds up for easy storage. We got ours at Sears for about 300.00. I enjoy it too, because it gives me a full body workout with every use. I got it less than a year ago, and between the treadmill and the TG, I have lost 55lbs in the last year! Get what you know you like, and what you know that you will use. If you live where you can walk outside, maybe a treamill won't be as enticing, but rather a different machine. Hope this helps, and I'm sure no matter what you get, you'll do great!
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    My husband and I love our elliptical. It is a cheaper one, only $300, but is fine for us right now. My husband likes it because it is low-impact. It does burn a lot of calories, but our counter is way off also. After 30 min it says I've burned like 60! I just go with what the MFP site says and it seems to be working. My husband says he really notices my legs are skinnier and I've only been using it 3 months. I think my butt is smaller too because even my new smaller size pants are baggy in the seat now. If you do go with the elliptical, I recommend you spend as much as you can afford. I can see now how some other features would be nice, like a steeper incline or longer stride. But I have to say our cheaper one works just fine too. The only thing negative is I am getting a little bored with it, but that would probably happen with any piece of equipment for me.
  • wobblybum
    wobblybum Posts: 21
    I agree with the majority, Treadmill!
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    In 2007, researchers at the Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital in Lincoln, Nebraska, set out to learn which machines kick your *kitten* the hardest. Here's how their findings shake out, as well as a few glute-blasting pointers from Lindsay Dunlap, a personal trainer at the Sports Club/LA in New York City.

The Machine Percentage of Glute Muscles Activated*
    Treadmill (jogging) 48.9
    Elliptical 32.6
    Treadmill (walking) 24.3
    StairMaster 24.0
    Recumbent Bike 6.0

*Refers to gluteus maximus, the largest of the three glute muscles

This is from womens health magazine
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    I absolutely love the elliptical! It gives you a great workout. You can slowly up your levels and resistance and it is very easy on the joints, which is a big thing for me since bad knees, etc run in my family.

If you have no problem with joints and can use a treadmill, then go for it!
  • butterjoy
    butterjoy Posts: 303 Member
    I BOUGHT ME AN ELLIPTICAL AS A CHRISTMAS GIFT. I REALLY LIKE IT! IT IS SO MUCH EASIER ON MY LEGS AND FEET. IT DOES WORKOUT YOUR WHOLE BODY. :wink:

butterjoy
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    This is just my opinion, and I know a lot of people love them and thats fine, but if i'm going to run or jog, I would MUCH rather do it outside. I find it boring to use a treadmill. Bike is kind of the the same deal. I'd rather be outside using one. So I'd say go with the elliptical... But running and cycling are both great... outside :happy: