For Runners

Options
2»

Replies

• Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Personally any injury I get I see my physio. Unless you know what is wrong, there is no diagnoses.

Good trainers are always a good start also good insoles. I got shin splints and found this out after talking with some people who has been running marathons for years.

I did not start running/jogging until I was 38/39 so made sure I had good trainers and expensive insoles for arthritis and diabetes. Sounds silly, but helps me. Makes a big difference x

I also try not and run on concert, down hill is not always good, for us who have just started or are starting late in life.

I know sometimes there is no other option, I just try and avoid when possible. My joints are not as good as they once were. I have also been told in the last few months I have osteoarthritis, so again have to make sure all is ok. But again that is just me.

You are doing amazing, keep it up and smile. Please remember this is just in my opinion.

Sorry about the rant, but hope in some way have helped xx
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My history is totally different as I had a fall but I day after my fall I got knee pain at about 7 or so miles into an planned 8 mile run. Every time I would run after that I would get pain at about mile 2. Went to doctor and got diagnosed as having "runner's knee." Did the rest he suggested. Pain started again as soon as I started to run again, but this time only about 1/2 mile into run. Went for second opinion, got injection. Said if not better in a month they would send me for an MRI. It was not better and it turns out I have a meniscal tear.
    Again, doubt that is your situation but don't write off any pain that continues.
    I agree with the hip stretching. Also work on having strong glutes and quads.
    Good luck!

First, I hope this heals quickly for you. If it occurs on my next run (after new shoes) then I'll go see a doctor. I have abnormally strong legs for someone who doesn't do any leg workouts (must be all the extra weight i've been carrying). I have been doing bodyweight squats to help with endurance and to prevent muscle loss. Though I try to stay out of a squat rack to avoid hurting my knees, I can do at least 5 reps at 400 lbs (recently won a bet for that) though I suspect 6-8 reps are a possibility.
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Personally any injury I get I see my physio. Unless you know what is wrong, there is no diagnoses.

I also try not and run on concert, down hill is not always good, for us who have just started or are starting late in life.

Yes, you are right, and If I was sure it was an injury I would be on my way to the doctor now. This was mild pain (at least not excruciating) and I was able to finish my workout. I also feel fine now. I'll give new shoes a try and if it comes back then I'll go see her right away.

And like you I also try not to run on concrete. I even try to stay away from asphalt and stay on the horse trails around my area. My doctor didn't want me to run because she was concerned for my joints so I am trying to be overly cautious.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Keep a close eye on it and take care. I had niggling knee pain shortly after graduating c25k which I ignored and ran through it thinking it was nothing, ended up having to take several weeks off from running and a visit to the physio. I've since started strength training and pilates (on the recommendation of my physio) and so far so good, the injury hasn't reoccured.
  • MMark2012
    MMark2012 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    A good pair of running shoes makes a huge difference. I had the same problem when I started (I was wearing an old pair of trail shoes), then I got some real running shoes with proper arch supports (fitted at a running store). Total night and day difference.

Yes this! I am a New Balance Girl! They are my main Racing shoes. I also like Saucony! You may find different brands that you like for yourself.:smile:
  • ColleenHollis
    Options
    A good pair of running shoes makes a huge difference. I had the same problem when I started (I was wearing an old pair of trail shoes), then I got some real running shoes with proper arch supports (fitted at a running store). Total night and day difference.

Have a professional running store check your feel and your old shoes to see how you are rolling your feet. The pain in your ankle and knees most likely will be solved once you get the right shoe. I did this and thought I need asics but ended up with Mizunos. It was the best hour I ever spent investing in my feet.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    My history is totally different as I had a fall but I day after my fall I got knee pain at about 7 or so miles into an planned 8 mile run. Every time I would run after that I would get pain at about mile 2. Went to doctor and got diagnosed as having "runner's knee." Did the rest he suggested. Pain started again as soon as I started to run again, but this time only about 1/2 mile into run. Went for second opinion, got injection. Said if not better in a month they would send me for an MRI. It was not better and it turns out I have a meniscal tear.
    Again, doubt that is your situation but don't write off any pain that continues.
    I agree with the hip stretching. Also work on having strong glutes and quads.
    Good luck!

First, I hope this heals quickly for you. If it occurs on my next run (after new shoes) then I'll go see a doctor. I have abnormally strong legs for someone who doesn't do any leg workouts (must be all the extra weight i've been carrying). I have been doing bodyweight squats to help with endurance and to prevent muscle loss. Though I try to stay out of a squat rack to avoid hurting my knees, I can do at least 5 reps at 400 lbs (recently won a bet for that) though I suspect 6-8 reps are a possibility.

Thanks. Surgery is Thursday and then they said 4-6 weeks off. I have been doing C25K just to keep me running a little bit and my knee seems to tolerate it for the most part... I figure I cannot hurt it any worse!
  • eyvindur
    eyvindur Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would like to point out that new shoes and things might only mask faults with your form. I run in minimalist shoes, on flip flops or barefoot, and once I started to do that, most of my problems went away (I do still occasionally hurt my knee, because minimalist is not a magic cure), because I was able to focus on the problems with my form. That's not to say you should go barefoot or minimalist - I realize that's not for everybody. Just be aware that this might be a form issue rather than a shoe issue, and adding padding will only be a bandage, not a fix, and might lead to more injury down the line.

I would suggest checking out Chi running, or some other source, to find out if your form might be off.