Anyone use Fitbit?

Options
I was just wondering if anyone uses Fitbit & what they think of it?

It seems pretty cool to me, but the pricetag is a bit steep to get it, if I won't really benefit from it.

Thoughts?

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    If you use the search facility you will find lots of useful opinions.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if anyone uses Fitbit & what they think of it?

It seems pretty cool to me, but the pricetag is a bit steep to get it, if I won't really benefit from it.

Thoughts?

It depends on what you are trying to get out of it.

I got one in May because I was curious to see exactly HOW active I was with all the little things I do daily ( getting drinks or snacks for kids, checking on my chickens in the back yard, etc). Turns out that my daily life was about 12,000 steps during the warm weather.

The fitbit One does time, distance, steps, flights of steps...monitors your sleep, has a clock, and a flower that grows to show your general activity level.

the fitbit zip does everything but flights of steps and sleep

the flex (coming this spring) is a wrist band with LED lights that light up when you hit 20-40-60-80-100% of your goals. No info other than that shown on the unit.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one and just got it couple weeks ago. I love it! Makes me move more and park further out to get more exercise. I love trying to beat my miles/steps from the day before.
  • niknokd
    niknokd Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've found it very helpful while in maintenance mode because I enabled the negative calorie adjustments (so if I'm having a very sedentary day calories are automatically subtracted from my daily allowance on MFP). I really think this helped me avoid gaining wait back because I got a much more accurate view of how much I should eat each day. Plus, it's a nice surprise on those days when it gives me extra calories because I've been active! Just if you get one make sure you remember to enter that start time of your workouts so it the calorie count doesn't get messed up.
  • OhFitness
    OhFitness Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the purpose of a FitBit instead of using a good HR monitor. It seems to be an HR monitor with a cool name. My Polar HR monitor with the chest strap does the same thing. It's just that I don't wear it all of the time. But then again, why wear it all of the time? I was always taught not to count ADLs (i.e. cleaning the house, mowing the grass, getting groceries, walking around the house). So, why record myself doing those normal things if my baseline caloric intake (i.e. Harris Benedict formula) covers those things. Could it be that you're trying to see how accurate your intake is according to Harris Benedict vs FitBit? I can't think of any other reason.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I am curious about the Fitbit, too.
    Other than telling me when I roll over in my sleep, what does a Fitbit One do that my Omron pedometer doesn't?

My pedometer tracks my total steps, my "aerobic" steps and time, approximate calories those steps burned, and miles walked.

I do know that Fitbit has a website that tracks the info, but I do my own step tracking.

I know the down side to a Fitbit (and my pedometer) is measuring cycling, weight lifting, rowing, etc. since both seem to base the numbers on "steps" taken.

I also looked into a heart rate monitor, but read that it is not accurate at estimating calories burned while doing strength training, at least according to this article: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75

I'd love a fancy new gadget, because I'm a bit of a gadget geek, but right now I just can't justify spending $100 for something that won't give me anything more than I get from my pedometer. If I'm missing something, I'd love to know 'cause I'm itching for an excuse to get one! LOL
  • motherof2wins
    motherof2wins Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just got my fit bit today. I'm excited about it but I'm not understand this calories burned thing. Is the number of calories you wish to burn added on to the calies you are supposed to eat?
    Anyway. I'm exited. Because of the price I just have the zip...and I think that will do the trick.
  • texgatorgirl
    texgatorgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What I really like about the FitBit is I can burn a huge difference in calories on two different days where I have a similar workout because I am more sedentary one day versus another. The FitBit is a great reminder that I need to get up and move more during the day if I have been sedentary. So it will be on my mind to do things like park my car further away, take stairs, get up and walk down the hall to see a colleague instead of sending an email. These types of activities can easily make the difference of several hundred calories burned a day. I love the integration with MyFitnessPal.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the purpose of a FitBit instead of using a good HR monitor. It seems to be an HR monitor with a cool name. My Polar HR monitor with the chest strap does the same thing. It's just that I don't wear it all of the time. But then again, why wear it all of the time? I was always taught not to count ADLs (i.e. cleaning the house, mowing the grass, getting groceries, walking around the house). So, why record myself doing those normal things if my baseline caloric intake (i.e. Harris Benedict formula) covers those things. Could it be that you're trying to see how accurate your intake is according to Harris Benedict vs FitBit? I can't think of any other reason.

It is nothing like a HRM. A HRM only tracks your workout - not your all day activity. It's more of a pedometer that counts your steps you take during the day and how active you are. It can motivate you to increase your activity. I have both a HRM and the FitBit - they're two totally different things each with their own purpose. Sounds like the FitBit isn't for you - but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it or the people that use it.
  • s50s
    s50s Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    What I really like about the FitBit is I can burn a huge difference in calories on two different days where I have a similar workout because I am more sedentary one day versus another. The FitBit is a great reminder that I need to get up and move more during the day if I have been sedentary. So it will be on my mind to do things like park my car further away, take stairs, get up and walk down the hall to see a colleague instead of sending an email. These types of activities can easily make the difference of several hundred calories burned a day. I love the integration with MyFitnessPal.

I agree with you. I love it,