Need cardio advice!

Options
I'm 236lbs and I have a disability which makes my balance off. Just looking for some that's not hard on that. I haven't been doing cardio for this reason and I NEED to get some in. All advice is welcome and not limited to just cardio.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Why not just start with walking? It can be a great way to start exercising. And if you walk on a treadmill, you'll have the handles there just in case you lose your balance.
  • shaxnax
    shaxnax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have bad balance due to a spinal surgery and I find I can do the elliptical much easier than anything else since I can hold onto the bars. I have also found my balance is improving as I do more activity and lose more weight. Good luck! Oh and if you can't do that then doing practice boxing stuff is really good too.
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Well yeah, I forgot about walking. I do walk. Not every day, but at least 3 times a week. I'm doing more walking since I became determined to lose the weight. I don't have an elliptical machine. I wish I did. lol. But the walking is about the only cardio I get.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Well yeah, I forgot about walking. I do walk. Not every day, but at least 3 times a week. I'm doing more walking since I became determined to lose the weight. I don't have an elliptical machine. I wish I did. lol. But the walking is about the only cardio I get.

It's a great start. I started my journey at 186 and the only cardio I've done for three years has been walking. Now that I'm lighter, 158, I feel more confident about running again and have only just started that over the past couple of weeks. My vote, walking but maybe more often than three times a week and for as long of a duration as you can afford (time wise and physical wise).
  • dianebpotter
    Options
    I also think walking is a great start. you can do intervals where you speed in for like 2 minutes and them slow back down for half hour will get heart racing good, and then just walk 30 minutes at your regular pace if your time allows. Good luck :)
  • vicarella13
    Options
    How about swimming or aquafit?
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have very bad balance too. I spend an hour every day, walking 5-6 miles and using a 7.5 and 12kg kettlebell when I get home. My balance has improved once I got under 200lbs, so now I run for 15 minutes 5 days a week too.
  • sunlover89
    Options
    p.s. Wear a pedometer and aim to get AT LEAST 10,000 steps a day.
  • amosmoses88
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE swimming. I just don't have the funds to afford a gym membership and that's basically the only way to swim in the winter around here unless someone rich has an indoor pool (I don't know rich people like that lol). Then in the summer, the outdoor pools are too crowded for any kind of movement without kicking a head or two. lol.
  • amosmoses88
    Options
    They are NEVER accurate for me. I've tried the actual ones and an app on my phone. It always says I've taken double the amount of steps. I guess because my balance is off it does it? Idk lol.
  • sunlover89
    Options
    How do you know that it's giving you the wrong information?
  • sunlover89
    Options
    And if you know that it's calculating double, then walk 20,000 steps.
  • lirr10185
    lirr10185 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try punching, legs hip width apart and just punch in the air. You can try cross punches, upper cuts, hooks, whatever you are comfortable with. It doesn't require you to move your lower body yet gets your heart rate up. That is what I would do with my mother in law who had really bad knees.
  • amosmoses88
    Options
    I didn't think of punching. I could do that! I found some low impact cardio workouts today. It's not much, but it does get my heart racing, which is the whole point. I've counted my steps in my head before, just simple 20 steps and it turns it around and says I did 40 and 50 steps. I just don't understand. Even tried it on my phone and it would double it.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I also think walking is a great start. you can do intervals where you speed in for like 2 minutes and them slow back down for half hour will get heart racing good, and then just walk 30 minutes at your regular pace if your time allows. Good luck :)

^ This.

Since your balance is off, it will be difficult (and probably not safe) for you to do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) but what the previous poster mentioned is a great way to burn fat and keep things interesting.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Try punching, legs hip width apart and just punch in the air. You can try cross punches, upper cuts, hooks, whatever you are comfortable with. It doesn't require you to move your lower body yet gets your heart rate up. That is what I would do with my mother in law who had really bad knees.

Great tip ^
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have/had stability issues from significant damage and some muscle death of my gluteous Minimus and Medius. These muscles are key to pelvic stability and for some time I had to walk with a cane and did not move much.

I walked and rode a recumbent bike along with isometric exercises such as leg lefts, side leg lifts, standing leg lifts etc. Walking and biking helped me lose weight and as the muscles got stronger I was able to get rid of the cane, most of my limp, and start to get more stability.

I still walk as my main cardio exercise and have added in some weight training. Walking walking walking along with the isometrics were key to losing weight and gaining stability.

I am curious about how you are counting your steps. Are you stepping with right foot - 1, left foot -2, right foot -3 or are you just counting each step with the right or left foot? I had a significant limp and it did not impact the count on my pedometer so I am not sure why you are getting double.
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I didn't think of punching. I could do that! I found some low impact cardio workouts today. It's not much, but it does get my heart racing, which is the whole point. I've counted my steps in my head before, just simple 20 steps and it turns it around and says I did 40 and 50 steps. I just don't understand. Even tried it on my phone and it would double it.

Fitbit is an awesome piece of equipment for encouring further or faster walking. you might like it :)
  • vicarella13
    Options
    What about a public recreational centre where you can pay as you go? What about an adult or length swim?
    I absolutely LOVE swimming. I just don't have the funds to afford a gym membership and that's basically the only way to swim in the winter around here unless someone rich has an indoor pool (I don't know rich people like that lol). Then in the summer, the outdoor pools are too crowded for any kind of movement without kicking a head or two. lol.
  • amosmoses88
    Options
    I was born with Familial Spastic Paraplegia. It causes my balance to be off and muscle weakness in the legs. Everything else is in working order lol. But I know if I lose weight then it will get a little better. I don't get how it counts steps, but I know I was counting Right 1 Left 2 Right 3...so on. I'm just new to all this and it gets confusing. But it shouldn't be! lol. I am learning new ways though and I know this is one thing that I'll battle the rest of my life because if I don't lose weight and gain muscle, I'll go downhill further than I have now and I don't want that. I want to be around for my baby and be able to get out and play with him. I know losing the weight will help, I know it in my heart. I'll always have this, and there's no "cure" or "fix" but I know I can do this. :)
    I have/had stability issues from significant damage and some muscle death of my gluteous Minimus and Medius. These muscles are key to pelvic stability and for some time I had to walk with a cane and did not move much.

I walked and rode a recumbent bike along with isometric exercises such as leg lefts, side leg lifts, standing leg lifts etc. Walking and biking helped me lose weight and as the muscles got stronger I was able to get rid of the cane, most of my limp, and start to get more stability.

I still walk as my main cardio exercise and have added in some weight training. Walking walking walking along with the isometrics were key to losing weight and gaining stability.

I am curious about how you are counting your steps. Are you stepping with right foot - 1, left foot -2, right foot -3 or are you just counting each step with the right or left foot? I had a significant limp and it did not impact the count on my pedometer so I am not sure why you are getting double.