For people losing over 50lbs

Options
Did you eat your exercise calories back?

I am so torn on this. I normally eat some of them.

Replies

• Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 kg just following MFP, eating my exercise cals back.

If you are following MFP you should be eating back your exercise cals as the deficit has already been factored into the calorie allotment given. If you don't then you are creating a deficit which may be too large and stall your progress.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have 51 pounds to lose and have lost a little over 30 pounds. I eat back my exercise calories. I have no doubt I could lose weight faster if I didn't eat the exercise calories. But I'm not interested in being hungry all the time and I don't really want to lose it fast because I don't want to look saggy. i think if you lose weight slowly, it gives your skin time to bounce back. Plus, if I lose the weight slowly, I'm more likely to develop habits that stick.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    124 pounds in just under seven months can't be done if you are eating back all of your calories. Its good to have them in reserve if you are feeling a bit hungry and want to eat a bit more... but I have not and will not eat them back. I usually stay under my initial calorie goal.
  • horseyhudson
    Options
    Okay thank you! I normally eat some of them, but wasn't sure about eating them all back
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If mfp is estimating the calories eat 50% of them. And dont worry about rapid weight loss, when its really fast weight loss, a lot of that's from muscle.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If mfp is estimating the calories eat 50% of them. And dont worry about rapid weight loss, when its really fast weight loss, a lot of that's from muscle.

Why wouldn't you worry about losing muscle? I'm trying to lose fat while maintaining or increasing my muscle.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

Why wouldn't you worry about losing muscle? I'm trying to lose fat while maintaining or increasing my muscle.

yeah, isn't the goal to maintain lean muscle mass while losing the fat?
  • Itzli
    Itzli Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do.. Sometimes I don't. If I'm hungry, I am not going to sit and be hungry just because. As long as your food choices are good, I don't think it should matter too much.
  • Lindabummy1
    Lindabummy1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    good job on your weight loss. Keep up the good work. 124 lbs. excellent
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I eat at -20% from my TDEE and don't eat exercise cals back because it's built into my cals

check out scoobys calculator (google)

Freak for a couplel mins knowing how many cals you get to eat and then eat them :)
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Yes. But only half of them, since the estimate seems way high to me.
  • Kamma
    Kamma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the sometimes I do, sometimes I don't camp. If I'm hungry...I eat. As long as I make healthy choices I'm good. Since I've started (1/7/13) I've continued to lose slowly, and consistently so I guess it's working. MFP has me at 1630 without excercise so I'm not terribly low anyways.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my 65lbs lost in 2012

I didn't start counting calories until I joined MFP less than a month ago. I don't believe I would have eaten back my exercise calories unless I had maybe a super intensive cardio session where my hunger level would be a guide.

I think focusing on eating good things and as long as you have some kind of deficit the weight will come off.

Feel free to add me as a friend anyone, I love this community we have here :)
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds in 8 months eating all of my exercise calories back. I used an HRM. I ate anywhere betweeen 1700-2200 cals.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

That's the point the other person was trying to make. I think you misunderstood the post. It meant don't try to lose weight too quickly because you will lose muscle mass if you do.
  • anewpath
    anewpath Posts: 200
    Options
    Did you eat your exercise calories back?

I am so torn on this. I normally eat some of them.

I use a heart rate monitor when I exercise so that I have an accurate count of calories burned. I will eat them back if I'm hungry and try to make the healthy food choice. Sometimes I don't get home until late and want to graze, that's my current battle. I suggest a HR monitor for the calorie count and because it helps you track your progress. My heart rate does not get as high with the same amout of work now as it did when I began.
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I never eat my exercise calories back, but if I go over my calorie allowance (pre-exercise calories) I don't beat myself up over it. I have lost 46 pounds so far.

But, everyone is different. Do some experimenting :) Try eating them back for a month or two, if you're not satisfied, try NOT eating them back for a month or two... or try eating half of them back :-p No one can tell you what will work for your body.

Good luck!
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    124 pounds in just under seven months can't be done if you are eating back all of your calories. Its good to have them in reserve if you are feeling a bit hungry and want to eat a bit more... but I have not and will not eat them back. I usually stay under my initial calorie goal.

I want to second this !!! 117 lbs CAN NOT be done by eating the exercise cals. I too try and stay under the initial goal.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I usually don't count them towards my daily calories, even if I eat some of them back. When I start maintaining, I will, but unless I feel weak/hungry there is no reason I would force myself to eat back calories.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

I want to second this !!! 117 lbs CAN NOT be done by eating the exercise cals. I too try and stay under the initial goal.

Ed Davenport lost over 300 pounds eating back all of his exercise calories. To quote him "I never leave uneaten calories on the table". To say it can't be done is just wrong. Look him up :smile: