Replies

• Bigwig236
    Bigwig236 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks Keri. x
  • JOYOUS62
    JOYOUS62 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I stopped before and piled the weight on, the weight I am currently trying to shift now. I am also on day 4 of no smoking again and can feel a difference already. My hubby smokes and has just come in from having one and the livingroom stinks :sick:
  • Bigwig236
    Options
    Brilliant friutloop.. I want to emulate you. thx
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Thats what I thought six months ago. 30 years of 30 a day. And I stopped Sept 3rd 2012. Completely. The weight I had lost on MFP (42 lbs) went straight back on and then 15 lbs more. Is smoking fantastic? By that measure yes. But, and its a big but, my lungs have cleared, i do an hour on the cross trainer now, drive myself hard, come off it drenched in sweat, but not even breathing heavy. Im never out of breath, I feel wonderful. Heavy but ten times the energy I had. I am now losing the weight, and by the time i reach the target i was before i will be running marathons. Never, ever think that smoking is a good way to stay slim. Even 4 stone heavier, I am fitter than ever. Please, quit the weed if you smoke. The benefits are beyond comprehension, promise...

I quit January 16th 2012. I'm right there with you, I gained the weight, but I am breathing better. I get a cold and don't feel even a quarter as bad as I used to when I smoked. I smoked 33 years, a pack a day for at least 20 of those years.
    Two thumbs way up!
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    That great well done I quit 9 years ago I used to smoke 70 a day ,I gained 10 stone after quitting so I know how you feel
  • Bigwig236
    Options
    Keep the faith. I love being around smokers. It reminds me how disgusting the smell of stale smoke is. yeuch...
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Thats what I thought six months ago. 30 years of 30 a day. Please, quit the weed if you smoke.

30 a day... of what? i guess maybe cigarettes are called weed in the UK?

lol. I certainly don't condone it, but i smoke multiple times daily, and i still really enjoyed doing insanity 4 times, aslyum 3 times, and enjoying p90x.

did notice i could sustain a higher heart rate when i quite for a month.

... a lot of wise men have said a lot of wise things about having vices... they all escape me right now tho lol
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Is it best to quit and start a diet at the same time then? Kind of like a complete cold turkey thing? No more smokes or Big Macs all at the same time? Just wondering....

NO!!!
    My doc told me to focus on either quitting or my weight, not both. If you try to do both, you're just setting yourself up for failure. Last time I quit I tried focusing on my weight gain too. Notice I failed that attempt.
    This one, I didn't.
  • Bigwig236
    Options
    Blimey Gerald. What a role model!! Respect.
  • Arkie_Ali
    Arkie_Ali Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My husband and I quit two weeks ago, but still crave it like crazy. We've started chewing gum and walking to help with the agitated feelings (when the cravings hit). But, I'll just be glad when I can run without wheezing and coughing! If it makes me live longer, I don't care if I gain a few pounds in the short term.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Damn...I thought this thread was going to be about ribs and brisket.

Seriously though, congrats...I quite Sept 25, 2012 after 20 years 2 PAD. I'm using a personal vaporizer (e-cig) as a crutch, but it's a hell of a lot better than smoking ever was. I can now breath and exercise and do the things I always enjoyed before my lungs became so filled with tar I couldn't do them anymore.

Congrats.

Lol...
  • Bigwig236
    Options
    Hi paxfaux. each to their own. Weed only meant finest virginia. Nothing more. How old are you?
  • Bigwig236
    Options
    Alicia, dont give in, either of you. Please. You are only 27. When you are 40, do you still want your husband to make love to you all night, or wheezing from effort and impotent from the effects of smoking clogging up his arteries? It will happen. Trust me. if you guys stop, the sexual olympics will last forever.....
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    you already shame me by asking lol

• Bigwig236
    Options
    Well, if thats your body in the picture, then lovely, i looked like that at 33.But you break 40 and the chemicals catch up. when you smoke this ****, where do you think it goes? Out when you piss? No. Your body is storing the toxin up till it cant cope anymore. It cries out for help at 45. Your heart gives in and you die as an unnecessary statistic. Great eh?
  • Bigwig236
    Options
    Case in point. Well done. My hero!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I'm 5-1/2 years out and giving that dirty b!tch a kick in the *kitten* was the best thing I ever did for myself :)
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Yes I quit the ciggies Feb 2010 cold turkey after smoking a pack (30) a day for 27 years. I gained weight then started this journey.

I can't believe I wasted so much time, money and most of all, my health smoking that crap.
  • Bigwig236
    Options
    Krisiepoo. ****ing A....
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I started smoking early. We actually had a smoking lounge at my high school--hard to believe, right? I was a pack a day guy on and off for most of my life until I had kids. Then I cut down to a few a week and thought I was doing great. My heart and coronary arteries didn't agree. A little health scare three years ago and I haven't smoked since. Don't miss it, feel great. Can't imagine why I ever wanted to do something that was slowly killing me. Are you dying for that cigarette? You will.