Couch 2 5k

Options
I just started couch 2 5k this week. Just wondering when I will feel like it is easier to run/jog. I still feel like my dying lol when I do those parts.

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I just started couch 2 5k this week. Just wondering when I will feel like it is easier to run/jog. I still feel like my dying lol when I do those parts.

The progressive nature of the program is going to me mean it always feels hard to complete the workout, but you'll be running further every week. You'll also get more comfortable running, even though you'll still feel challenged to make the distance. Hope that makes sense.

I just completed week seven - 25 minute runs with no walking breaks. It's still hard but I get through. Seven weeks ago I was struggling to run even 90 seconds, probably feeling a lot like you do now. I thought my lungs might burst, my heart explode and blood squirt from my ears.
  • BabyFishMouth
    BabyFishMouth Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Go slow. I mean slow. I mean slow enough that you wonder whether your jogging speed is actually slower than your walking speed (and it might be, and that's ok). Just focus and doing the time, not on going fast. You can do it and it will start to feel better faster than you will believe possible.

In case you haven't already found it, here's the C25K group on MFP. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Yes it gets easier. Just keep at it and if you need to redo the weeks/ days until you feel comfortable. I have been doing C25K for over a month but I am only officially in the second week since I have redid the first week and dont always do the program 3x a week. However, I feel and know that my stamina has improved and that I can go further and longer. I plan on competing this program even if it takes me a little longer.

PS the first time I did it it was HELL it took me over 45 minutes because I had to stop and rest.
  • LisaK1228
    Options
    I just finished Day 3 of Week 1 today. Week 2 doesn't seem like it will be too bad (90 sec running, 2 min walking) but I'm not looking forward to what is to come after that! At this point, running for 10 minutes seems like it would kill me... I can't even think of doing 25 minutes in 7 weeks. :/
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I just finished Day 3 of Week 1 today. Week 2 doesn't seem like it will be too bad (90 sec running, 2 min walking) but I'm not looking forward to what is to come after that! At this point, running for 10 minutes seems like it would kill me... I can't even think of doing 25 minutes in 7 weeks. :/

Don't worry, nor could I (see above). Though in all honesty, I see myself repeating week 7 since I've really had to push hard to get those 25 minutes. Could be that I have a bit of a cold of course, or it could be that I'm not ready. It's all about moving at your own pace.

I also repeated week 3, but that was because of knee problems.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Just completed week One I plan to start week 2 Sunday I think.
  • Ashlhayes
    Ashlhayes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started one these and I am starting week 4 on Monday. The idea of running for 5 minutes straight seems impossible but I thought the same thing about 3 minutes last week. I pushed through and surprised myself. Although, like a lot of others have mentioned, I did repeat a few of the days. I am sure you will do great!
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Practice your breathing...once I got my breathing down, the running parts did feel easier. I googled ways to breathe while running. Also, you don't have to have heels to butt when you're running--barely lifting your feet off the ground is fine...and don't try to go too fast too soon! Get the running down, and once you have it, then you can work on your speed!

Some things I find that make it "easier" (it's never really EASY--not suppose to be!) #1 Practice good breathing, #2 Get good shoes, #3 Use the bathroom before you start, #4 stretch well (see www.runnersworld.com for great stretches for all your aches) and #5 Recover well...it's okay to only do the program 3 days per week-that's what it's for!
  • Aletea
    Aletea Posts: 8
    Options
    I just finished week one. I've hurt in different ways each time I've done it, lol! Week 2 isn't something I'm looking forward to.