HELP! ON THE VERGE OF QUITTING!!!!

Options
I follow my diet to a T..... A STINKING T last week, and GAINED 3 POUNDS. This week, I was discouraged, and didn't watch/track everything I ate, and also ate at the CHEESECAKE FACTORY, pasta and of course a slice of cheesecake and I stepped on the scale today to find I'm 2 pounds lighter. WTH>!>!>!!>!??!?

Am I not doing this right or what?

Replies

• jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    without making your journal public, no one can help you here.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Not being able to see your diary, it's impossible to tell. My first instinct (since you lost after a big meal) is that you might not be eating enough and the 3 lbs was water retention from something. How many calories are you eating? Did you start a new workout routine the week you gained? Do you track sodium?
  • melissawaters
    melissawaters Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I also wish I knew the answer to that, it happens to me ALL the time and I get so discouraged......just hang in there, that's what I keep doing.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    there's not enough information here to help you and your diary is private so we can't look at that, either.
  • 4mydogs
    4mydogs Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Best advice I can give is stop letting the scale dictate how you feel. I weigh once a month so I can focus on my health, food and excercise.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public if you really want help. Otherwise, our guess is as good as yours.
  • porky44
    porky44 Posts: 34
    Options
    Yeah up your calories for a while and see what happens. Then adjust as needed.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I think the obvious lesson here is that you should not track anything and frequent The Cheesecake Factory
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Do you have more data than 2 weeks worth? Weight loss isn't linear. If you're just starting (2 weeks), don't let the scale make you crazy.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Give it more than a week and don't weigh yourself every day if you're not prepared to deal with the natural fluctuations.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    do not give up!!!!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I would have hit the jackpot if I were paid for these threads today. :grumble:

Your body can fluctuate more than that (not fat, not muscle) on a daily basis. That is all you need to know!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Like others said, we can't really help without knowing what you're eating...it looks like you joined sometime this month, it's going to take longer than that to change. Could be water weight, could be too much sodium, not enough food, etc etc. Check out helloitsdan's post (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12) to see what your TDEE and BMR are so you know what you should be eating. Then give it 2 months if not more. Measure yourself instead of looking to the scale
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    without making your journal public, no one can help you here.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Loosing weight involves consistancy over time. I have lost 70 pounds but it is slow....sometimes you don't loose for a long time. You have a lot to loose so I would not give up at all!!! IF you give up you will gain more and be more unhealthy. Keep logging and don't eat out! I didn't loose for two weeks then lost just .6 pounds...but lost 2 inches off my hips in Jan...so I agree with others measure yourself.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Quit and then what? A guaranteed gain? Every time I think of quitting I think of the alternative and the fight to lose is more appealing than continuing gaining weight.....
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    don't use a scale to track your progress. measure ****
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Scales do that. I've had them go both up and down for no apparent reason. I was sick for a few days, running to the bathroom at least once per hour, losing lots and lots of fluid, hardly able to eat, and I GAINED 3 pounds. How is that even possible? I have no idea. What we're looking for here is a general trend downward over time, not one line that steady goes downward each and every week. It's going to bounce around up down up down up up up BIG down ..........

That's just the nature of the beast.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I follow my diet to a T..... A STINKING T last week, and GAINED 3 POUNDS. This week, I was discouraged, and didn't watch/track everything I ate, and also ate at the CHEESECAKE FACTORY, pasta and of course a slice of cheesecake and I stepped on the scale today to find I'm 2 pounds lighter. WTH>!>!>!!>!??!?

Am I not doing this right or what?

don't worry, stay on track, you're not doing it wrong...

EDITED TO ADD: don't consistently under eat! if you do that, then you are doing it wrong.

you're just not yet fully educated on how your body works. everybody starts there, so nothing to be ashamed of.

spend some time learning about how your body actually uses the foods you eat. learn about how it sheds fat and what purpose water serves in your body. learn about things that may be occurring that would cause you to retain water for periods of time. etc.

check out the Eat, Train, Progress group. start your reading in there.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Depends how long you've been doing it? Your body could be used to your diet and exercise and you need to change it up? Try a couple of carb free days or different exercises??

Do you weigh things or estimate? Pasta, rice, meat? Add everything, sugar and milk in coffee, oil used to cook? Sneaky cals add up everywhere until you get used to the portion sizes. I don't mean for this to sound patronizing, I'm just speculating what it could be?

Also, I thought I'd had a good week last week, eaten under my maintaining cals and had one day where I really went over and put 2lb on! Maybe it's choices too? I ate out a few days. I find I'm better if I don't eat bread, it stodges me.

Finally, someone once told me that your body can fluctuate up to 3lb daily, so I wouldn't fret xx