Anyone on keto?

Options

Replies

• shilomatic
    shilomatic Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to suffer doing an unsustainable "diet"? Keto is a waste of time. Calories are calories when it comes to weight loss. Severely restricting carbs will probably lead to greater initial weight loss as your body stops holding water. Once you go off the low carb diet you water weight will rebound.

YEA, YOU GO! SO BRAVE! This diet is just totally unsustainable! Just ignore my progress bar please!

I'm so glad you posted this, you and your progress are admirable, and it's hilarious that your progress bar is bacon. lol

I'm amazed by the ignorance in this thread. You guys, if you don't know anything about keto or eating low carb, spare the comments. It's a perfectly healthy and sustainable method for weight loss and stabilizing insulin levels ( and preventing diabetes.) If you've found something that works well for you, then that's great but please understand that different things work for different people.

Now, with that said... Keto flu is a ***** and shouldn't last more than a couple days. Drink LOTS of water (you're likely dehydrated) and try your best to get some sodium/magnesium/potassium into you. A multivitamin or even some broth should do the trick. Once your body adapts, the symptoms will subside and you'll experience an amazing energy boost. Hang in there!
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    When we are built to function on carbs, and suddenly take carbs away, all our tissue begins to wonder where the carbs are.

That includes the brain. What you are experiencing the brain looking for its preferred energy source (carbs) and not getting it. It will take 3-4 days for the average person to enter full keto. To produce ketones as the primary energy source can take a week or more.

I must say, I don't agree with ketosis for long term weight loss, but if you have to do it, you better commit to it long term. The second you go out and carb binge you will feel absolutely awful!
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to suffer doing an unsustainable "diet"? Keto is a waste of time. Calories are calories when it comes to weight loss. Severely restricting carbs will probably lead to greater initial weight loss as your body stops holding water. Once you go off the low carb diet you water weight will rebound.

YEA, YOU GO! SO BRAVE! This diet is just totally unsustainable! Just ignore my progress bar please!

I'm so glad you posted this, you and your progress are admirable, and it's hilarious that your progress bar is bacon. lol

I'm amazed by the ignorance in this thread. You guys, if you don't know anything about keto or eating low carb, spare the comments. It's a perfectly healthy and sustainable method for weight loss and stabilizing insulin levels ( and preventing diabetes.) If you've found something that works well for you, then that's great but please understand that different things work for different people.

Now, with that said... Keto flu is a ***** and shouldn't last more than a couple days. Drink LOTS of water (you're likely dehydrated) and try your best to get some sodium/magnesium/potassium into you. A multivitamin or even some broth should do the trick. Once your body adapts, the symptoms will subside and you'll experience an amazing energy boost. Hang in there!

My point was and still is that Keto is a waste of time and energy and is not a long term life style. Dieting to lose weight, and making a lifestyle change are two different things. Anyone can lose weight, only those that change what and how they eat will keep the weight off long term. Search Lyle McDonald's site and read about Insulin. It isn't a bad thing. Spiked or not :)
    Most things like Insulin spiking, Keto, LeanGains, are all a waste of energy. Yes you may lose a tad more weight with a given diet and that diet may fit your lifestyle better in short term but not of them are necessary.

When I started this is what I knew. I knew 25 years ago I wrote diets in the Army. Those diets, for restricted calories where either 2000 or 1500. So when I got fat enough and decided to lose weight I aimed for 1500 knowing full well that it was insanely low in calories. Didn't know my TDEE, didn't know this site even existed. As I went along I learned about those things. I took up exercising and cut calories. Nothing special. Most would think my diet was clean. It was as a function of calories. At 1600 calories, the lowest I did for a few months, you simply do not have room for a lot of crap. So I went along, learning but eating less than my body desired. Oh sometimes the hunger was physically painful. Insanely painful. But I sucked it up. After losing 40-50 pounds I upped my calories a bit. From 1600 or so to 1750 or so and to 1800+ and last month all the way up to 2100 calories. This month will be a bit less than 2100 calories. The weight came off. Yes in the middle I had a month that I lost 1 pound. But after reading everything I could, I knew that I was in a deficit and that the weight would either come off or that my calories had reached equilibrium. It also happened the same month I started lifting heavy things all the time. So some might have been muscle gain.

Not once did I consider any diet scheme. What was the point. I eat in a deficit religiously. I exercised regularly and the weight loss progressed. I was pre diabetic at some point, (a few years back and likely when I started my weight loss journey) I got blood work done and not one marker was even remotely bad. Oh and I quit a 1.5 pack, 25 year addiction to cigarettes as well.

So like I said, Keto, Adkins, or Dr. so and so's diet plans will work but they aren't necessary.

Didn't know mine was bacon. Funny haven't have the stuff in ages... 5 days to Vegas, so I'll "double down" on some then.
  • lvtruu1
    Options

Great progress. You going to try Keto for the rest of your life?

Interesting that you think that the Keto was the reason you lost the weight.... That is naive. You lost the weight because you where in a caloric deficit. Calories in vs. Calories out.
  • shilomatic
    shilomatic Posts: 7 Member
    Options

My point was and still is that Keto is a waste of time and energy and is not a long term life style. Dieting to lose weight, and making a lifestyle change are two different things. Anyone can lose weight, only those that change what and how they eat will keep the weight off long term. Search Lyle McDonald's site and read about Insulin. It isn't a bad thing. Spiked or not :)
    Most things like Insulin spiking, Keto, LeanGains, are all a waste of energy. Yes you may lose a tad more weight with a given diet and that diet may fit your lifestyle better in short term but not of them are necessary.

When I started this is what I knew. I knew 25 years ago I wrote diets in the Army. Those diets, for restricted calories where either 2000 or 1500. So when I got fat enough and decided to lose weight I aimed for 1500 knowing full well that it was insanely low in calories. Didn't know my TDEE, didn't know this site even existed. As I went along I learned about those things. I took up exercising and cut calories. Nothing special. Most would think my diet was clean. It was as a function of calories. At 1600 calories, the lowest I did for a few months, you simply do not have room for a lot of crap. So I went along, learning but eating less than my body desired. Oh sometimes the hunger was physically painful. Insanely painful. But I sucked it up. After losing 40-50 pounds I upped my calories a bit. From 1600 or so to 1750 or so and to 1800+ and last month all the way up to 2100 calories. This month will be a bit less than 2100 calories. The weight came off. Yes in the middle I had a month that I lost 1 pound. But after reading everything I could, I knew that I was in a deficit and that the weight would either come off or that my calories had reached equilibrium. It also happened the same month I started lifting heavy things all the time. So some might have been muscle gain.

Not once did I consider any diet scheme. What was the point. I eat in a deficit religiously. I exercised regularly and the weight loss progressed. I was pre diabetic at some point, (a few years back and likely when I started my weight loss journey) I got blood work done and not one marker was even remotely bad. Oh and I quit a 1.5 pack, 25 year addiction to cigarettes as well.

So like I said, Keto, Adkins, or Dr. so and so's diet plans will work but they aren't necessary.

Didn't know mine was bacon. Funny haven't have the stuff in ages... 5 days to Vegas, so I'll "double down" on some then.

Firstly, you're wrong. Keto is a lifestyle change, not a "diet." You are effectively changing your eating patterns and what your body uses as a fuel source.

The fact that you 'wrote diets in the army' is nearly irrelevant to this conversation, as nutrituonal science has greatly evolved since 25 years ago and if you were that flunent in nutrition, you wouldn't have found yourself in a position to lose 95lbs. A calorie deficit IS an effective way to lose weight, but it's not constrcuted by ballparking a number that sounds good and hoping the weight falls off. Your deficit must be catered to your personal BMI and activity level. The fact that you went with 1500cals a day and still lost weight is merely coincidence and anyone that "wrote diets for the army" would know that. You need to face a 500 calorie deficit to lose a pound one week, as one pound is 3500 calories.

Majority of what you said didn't even mention keto, which suggests that you actually know nothing about it whatsoever, so let's break it down, shall we?

Ketosis is the state in which your body burns fat for fuel. The human body isn’t stupid, it will burn what it has in most abundance that yields the most energy for its volume. Carbs (most) burn up quick but are packed with a ton of fuel that yields huge bursts of energy. It's meant to be consumed in small amounts, it's how your body properly digests and processes them and it's how your maintain your energy levels throughout the day. People don't eat like that though, they eat plates of pasta or slices of pizza or whatever. Your body freaks the F out, it's partly why you get that "Oh god I'm so full, what the hell?!" feeling after a large meal.

Compare that style of eating to an energy drink. When you're overweight, you body has fat stores because you're consuming too much energy, it isn't burned off, and you have no where else to put it. It makes more sense to tap into those fat stores for energy prior to consuming more. When you consume fat, and protein, they burn slowly and allow a steady stream of energy - your energy levels won’t soon crash because your body can’t get rid of it near as fast as carbs. Eating excess carbs also causes your body to produce insulin, since high blood sugar is flagged as toxic by your body. Insulin regulates your blood sugar. When the insulin can't keep up with regulation because you're ingesting too many carbs, your body converts them to fat and insulin stores it in it's cells. It takes 22 flights of stairs to burn off the energy consumed in a piece of bread.

You know what my diet consists of? Tons of fresh vegetables, healthy fats and protein. You know what it doesn't consist of? Processed food, sugar, or refined flours. I have loads of energy, I sleep like a baby, and I'm steadily losing weight. Sorry lady, but you have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Ah, the traditional MFP keto kock fight ... we need carbs! the brain is starving for fuel! And that old chestnut ... ketoacidosis!!

The humanity, the humanity.

I did it for a few months, recalibrated my taste buds, got a sense of what hunger is (not a blood sugar crash) then realised I didn't have to do it long term, switched back to balanced and am losing weight just as well by concentrating on the energy gap.

I think low carbing and keto is a valuable tool but I wouldn't do it long-term because I like a bit more variety and lot less rules in my nutritional life.

On topic (I get there eventually) - The effects you describe can last weeks in extreme cases (maybe a sign it is not for you? Like some other low carb side-effects worth watching out for ... muscle cramping, sleeplessness, dry eyes/mouth) ... keep the sodium up (broth is tradition to fight the "Atkins Flu") and keep hydrated.

Good luck to all whatever path you choose, listen to your bodies and if it is telling you to change it up then do it.

I'll book in my low-carb/keto-themed post for this time next week again.

See y'all then, enjoy the lively debate :)
  • lvtruu1
    Options

Firstly, you're wrong. Keto is a lifestyle change, not a "diet." You are effectively changing your eating patterns and what your body uses as a fuel source.

The fact that you 'wrote diets in the army' is nearly irrelevant to this conversation, as nutrituonal science has greatly evolved since 25 years ago and if you were that flunent in nutrition, you wouldn't have found yourself in a position to lose 95lbs. A calorie deficit IS an effective way to lose weight, but it's not constrcuted by ballparking a number that sounds good and hoping the weight falls off. Your deficit must be catered to your personal BMI and activity level. The fact that you went with 1500cals a day and still lost weight is merely coincidence and anyone that "wrote diets for the army" would know that. You need to face a 500 calorie deficit to lose a pound one week, as one pound is 3500 calories.

Majority of what you said didn't even mention keto, which suggests that you actually know nothing about it whatsoever, so let's break it down, shall we?

Ketosis is the state in which your body burns fat for fuel. The human body isn’t stupid, it will burn what it has in most abundance that yields the most energy for its volume. Carbs (most) burn up quick but are packed with a ton of fuel that yields huge bursts of energy. It's meant to be consumed in small amounts, it's how your body properly digests and processes them and it's how your maintain your energy levels throughout the day. People don't eat like that though, they eat plates of pasta or slices of pizza or whatever. Your body freaks the F out, it's partly why you get that "Oh god I'm so full, what the hell?!" feeling after a large meal.

Compare that style of eating to an energy drink. When you're overweight, you body has fat stores because you're consuming too much energy, it isn't burned off, and you have no where else to put it. It makes more sense to tap into those fat stores for energy prior to consuming more. When you consume fat, and protein, they burn slowly and allow a steady stream of energy - your energy levels won’t soon crash because your body can’t get rid of it near as fast as carbs. Eating excess carbs also causes your body to produce insulin, since high blood sugar is flagged as toxic by your body. Insulin regulates your blood sugar. When the insulin can't keep up with regulation because you're ingesting too many carbs, your body converts them to fat and insulin stores it in it's cells. It takes 22 flights of stairs to burn off the energy consumed in a piece of bread.

You know what my diet consists of? Tons of fresh vegetables, healthy fats and protein. You know what it doesn't consist of? Processed food, sugar, or refined flours. I have loads of energy, I sleep like a baby, and I'm steadily losing weight. Sorry lady, but you have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about.

Pretty much without fail, every decade seems to see the resurgence of the idea that extremely low-carbohydrate diets have a ‘metabolic advantage’ over carb-based diets; that is the claim is made that the very low-carbohydrate diet will generate more weight or fat loss at the same (or sometimes even a higher calorie level).
    Now, before I continue let me say that I have nothing against low-carbohydrate diets. My first book The Ketogenic Diet was about nothing but and many of my dietary approaches often have low- or at least lowered carbohydrate phases to them as they tend to generate certain biological effects that I’m seeking.
    As well, research clearly shows that, for some people, lowering carbohydrates can have profound health benefits and in some cases a near removal of dietary carbohydrates (except for things like fruits and vegetables) may be profoundly beneficial.
    However, the weight and fat loss claims are a bit trickier. There is certainly an element of truth to the idea that low-carb diets generate more total weight loss but this issue is confounded by the issue of water loss. Between a drop in insulin (insulin causes the kidney to resorb water) and a dehydrating effect of ketones themselves, very-low carbohydrate diets can cause significant water loss.
    As I discussed at length in The Ketogenic Diet, water loss can range from 1-15 pounds depending on size (even small individual may lose a rapid 3-4 pounds, of primarily water, in the first days of carbohydrate restriction). This tends to make comparisons of weight loss pretty meaningless. This is even more true when you consider that the difference in total weight loss between low- and high-carb diets is usually only a few pounds anyhow.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/ketogenic-low-carbohydrate-diets-have-no-metabolic-advantage-over-nonketogenic-low-carbohydrate-diets-research-review.html

I left the article for all to read.
    The last line, you'll note, sums up our argument well.
    Everyone should read Lyle McDonald's stuff, he's written more about Keto and dieting in general then almost anyone out there.

Like I said, Keto isn't necessary for weight loss. This cannot even be argued. If you enjoy it, do it. But the vast majority of the world shouldn't waste their time or energy for what is best a marginal gain if it doesn't fit their lifestyle.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    and u have only lost 5 pounds? Why don't u stick to the calorie plan this site has set for you?? EVERYONE is losing weight on this site following that super simple plan. Why complicate it further with extra added bs?
  • lvtruu1
    Options
    and u have only lost 5 pounds? Why don't u stick to the calorie plan this site has set for you?? EVERYONE is losing weight on this site following that super simple plan. Why complicate it further with extra added bs?

As for calories the numbers this site projects are fine, as for macros, this site is a joke.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yep. Took me a day or two to get over it. But once a week I eat SOME carbs.
    I'm not doing keto on purpose... But with trying to get 180/190 protein in my calorie goal, it leaves no room for carbs.
  • xoxerinxox
    Options

I've only lost 5 pounds because I've only been doing it a week.. I have tried losing weight for a good few years and nothing for me has worked because I have suffered from an eating disorder and this is the thing that I have found works for me and keeps me eating so I'd appreciate it if people just gave me the answer I was looking for and not get mad at me and not take into account that maybe this works for me and is keeping me form relapse thanks.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Ah, the traditional MFP keto kock fight ... we need carbs! the brain is starving for fuel! And that old chestnut ... ketoacidosis!!

I did it for a few months, recalibrated my taste buds, got a sense of what hunger is (not a blood sugar crash) then realised I didn't have to do it long term, switched back to balanced and am losing weight just as well by concentrating on the energy gap.

I think low carbing and keto is a valuable tool but I wouldn't do it long-term because I like a bit more variety and lot less rules in my nutritional life.

On topic (I get there eventually) - The effects you describe can last weeks in extreme cases (maybe a sign it is not for you? Like some other low carb side-effects worth watching out for ... muscle cramping, sleeplessness, dry eyes/mouth) ... keep the sodium up (broth is tradition to fight the "Atkins Flu") and keep hydrated.

Good luck to all whatever path you choose, listen to your bodies and if it is telling you to change it up then do it.

^This...you brain needs a MINIMUM of 50 carbs a day to FUNCTION!! Ketosis diets are so incredibly bad for you...there is a reason why the healthcare industry doesn't support them anymore....they are doing damage to your body!!! But go ahead...because I hate it when people tell me what to do..but you posted in a forum...just saying.
  • LIswimmer51
    Options
    I'm on the keto diet, but I'm only doing it for about a week or two, I hit a nasty plateau and needed a way to break it and this was the most drastic change i could think of to make to my body. I've been on it three days and finally got down to the weight I was before the holidays. It's not meant for long term because you will get sick after a while if you do it too long. I'm on day three and doing this for the first time, the worst symptoms I've gotten were a little tired, the occasional headache, and bad breath, nothing too crazy. It should only last a week, but don't forget to carb up one day a week to keep your glycogen levels a little up so you continue losing weight.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    ^This...you brain needs a MINIMUM of 50 carbs a day to FUNCTION!! Ketosis diets are so incredibly bad for you...there is a reason why the healthcare industry doesn't support them anymore....they are doing damage to your body!!! But go ahead...because I hate it when people tell me what to do..but you posted in a forum...just saying.

Your brain needs glucose. And your body can produce glucose from protein. Is that the only reason you say they are unhealthy?
  • vindictus
    Options

No it doesn't. Where do you get that figure? Don't make things up.
  • tanigrrrrr
    tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I firsty, think its interesting that people are like OH NO the way youve decided to loose weight is wrong, however that seems like an answer to a question that you didnt exactly ask.
    Congratulations on finding something that you are willing to try... if YOU find it unsustainable then move on, but surely a week in youll be at that lovely stage where weight is dropping off and youre body is adjusting.
    Ive read a bunch of articles and research about Keto diets and yes your body will have a whinge about what it is doing as it isnt used to it.. and lets be frank, we all dont like stepping out of our comfort zone. You should be fine after around 3 days up to 2 weeks and trust me you will feel great after you recover.

I think its interesting that people are saying this is unsustainable. If you are diagnosed with Diabeties this diet will be prescribed to you- this diet is also prescribed to people for the maintenance of epilepsy...whilst the lifestyle may not suit some - its a little rude to condemn something that MANY people live with for other reasons than weightloss.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Not sure about weight loss, it I recently lowered my carbs to 35% and my chronic migraines seem to be less.... But it's only been a few weeks... It may just be a few good weeks for my head....I'll stick it out a bit longer. Who knows, if it continues lesson my migraines I MIGHT drop them to 30%.... Maybe. Or just keep my grain carbs super low and not worry about fruit and veggie carbs.

Ps- I think 35% is about 120 grams for me.
  • spazholio
    Options
    If you are diagnosed with Diabeties this diet will be prescribed to you

This is (unfortunately) untrue. I am a type 1 diabetic, and what I was told when I was diagnosed (10+ years ago) as well as fairly recently is that I should be eating 60g of carbohydrates *per meal*. Doing this leads to incredible sugar spikes. Since going keto and dropping my carbohydrates to ~20g per day total, my numbers have never been better. I honestly don't know why this way of eating isn't more emphasized for diabetics.
  • 1littlebirdie
    Options
    I will never understand the "This diet works for me, therefore it will work for everyone!!!" and the converse, "This diet didn't work for me, therefore it's crap and nobody should do it!!!"

Yes, your brain needs glucose. No you do not have to consume 50 grams of carbs per day to satisfy that need. Gluconeogenesis. But if you talk to a sample of people who are on a ketogenic diet, you'll find that many of them actually DO consume up to 50 grams of carbs a day and still lose weight just fine (some can consume 100 grams - everyone is different).

I do what works for me. Weight Watchers and other calorie counting plans don't deliver. Low-carb eating does. But you know, WW works for a lot of other people, so who am I to tell them they're wrong? If it works for you, do it. If it doesn't, move on. Arguing over it on a message board seems so silly. Are you really that bothered if some random person on the internet thinks you're doing it wrong?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    hmm,, i am a carb gal.