Raised my caloric intake...

Options
After reading many posts on calories in vs. out etc. I decided to figure out my TDEE. I have since raised my caloric intake to 1630 per day. I hope this works and the weight comes off for good without neglecting my body's requirements! I've only been at this 2 weeks and have lost 3 lbs in the1300 range but I can't help but think my body won't maintain the weight loss for the long term at that rate. I suppose it's better to up it now and come down if required than to go really low and go into starvation mode...

Replies

• bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of in the same boat. MFP had me at 1220 to start out. I lost 6 lbs. my first 2 weeks, nothing the third, and 1.2 the next, but like you, began to question how successful I'd be over the long term. A lot of these forums are pretty informative. I moved up to 1410. We'll see!

Good luck! :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    In order to gain a lb of fat, you need to eat 3500 calories above your TDEE. So unless your TDEE is 1400 (which means you won't lose as much as you did) then how can you gain new fat? Give it time.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I am a 6'2 male and I ate 900kcal/day and went from 200 to 167 in 6 weeks. Starvation mode bs is just that, bs.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I am a 6'2 male and I ate 900kcal/day and went from 200 to 167 in 6 weeks. Starvation mode bs is just that, bs.

I would agree with the starvation mode, but LCD lead to significant muscle loss. Muscle is what makes a body lean and tight. The more you have, the less weight you need to lose to be fit. As demonstrated by the link below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat+vs
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I've been steadily upping calories bit by bit, and am now planning on eating a minimum of 1400, and preferably 1500-1700, per day. I've heard it can take a while for the body to adjust, so don't give up if there's no change or some gain in the first few weeks!

What exercise do you do? I'm training for a 5K and just started lifting weights after seeing some of the results ladies here have had. Nothing fancy, a couple sets of squats and curls after my cardio, but every bit helps, right?
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options

I would agree with the starvation mode, but LCD lead to significant muscle loss. Muscle is what makes a body lean and tight. The more you have, the less weight you need to lose to be fit. As demonstrated by the link below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat+vs

I didn't lose any pounds off my squat deadlift or bench press, my military press did lose about 8lbs off my max though unfortunately. As long as you eat enough protein(I eat 1.3g/lb of LBM) and lift heavy you can stave off muscle loss on very low calorie diets
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of doing the same. I lost 6 but I seem to have gained 4 back. I'm hoping it's due to my TOM because otherwise I'm going to be very discouraged. I'm thinking of upping my 1220 to 1350 or 1400. When you up your calories like that, you don't also add back your exercise calories do you?
  • Northerngurl
    Northerngurl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I exercise on the elliptical for at least 40 mins/day then usually fit in some at-home body strengthening (pushups, situps, hamstring curls, split squats...working my way up to the tougher stuff and higher repetition). And you're right, every bit is a step in the right direction!
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of doing the same. I lost 6 but I seem to have gained 4 back. I'm hoping it's due to my TOM because otherwise I'm going to be very discouraged. I'm thinking of upping my 1220 to 1350 or 1400. When you up your calories like that, you don't also add back your exercise calories do you?
    TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure) takes into account your activity level. TDEE is the amount you need for maintenance in a day. (BMR is the amount you need to stay in bed all day, e.g. in a coma.) Basically, if you eat under your TDEE you will lose weight. The usual suggestion is to do TDEE minus 10-20%.

Try checking out this post for more info: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • wannatangle
    Options
    TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure) takes into account your activity level. TDEE is the amount you need for maintenance in a day. (BMR is the amount you need to stay in bed all day, e.g. in a coma.) Basically, if you eat under your TDEE you will lose weight. The usual suggestion is to do TDEE minus 10-20%.

Try checking out this post for more info: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Thanks. I have already done that. It looks like if I exercise 3 to 5 hours of moderate exercise I can eat 1571 calories a day. I will have a hard time eating that many calories every day....Will I be sabotaging myself if I eat 1400? This is all so confusing to me.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Thanks. I have already done that. It looks like if I exercise 3 to 5 hours of moderate exercise I can eat 1571 calories a day. I will have a hard time eating that many calories every day....Will I be sabotaging myself if I eat 1400? This is all so confusing to me.
    That means 1571 is maintenance for you - to stay the same weight. 1571-10% is about 1414, so 1400 is probably a good number for you.
  • wannatangle
    Options
    [/quote]
    That means 1571 is maintenance for you - to stay the same weight. 1571-10% is about 1414, so 1400 is probably a good number for you.
    [/quote]

Well but it says my TDEE is 1742 but that just seems like a lot of calories for me. I had already taken out 20% to get 1571....
  • BByer
    BByer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You are losing weight at a nice rate. Keep up the good work!
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is 1700ish then you should be eating around 1500ish.

I know it sounds like a lot, but to put it into perspective, to have gained weight you must have been eating at over 1700 most days until you started this program.

So have a look at your diary, substitute full fat for low fat..add in some healthy calorie dense items like nuts and avocados and eat your 1500 cals.
  • wannatangle
    Options
    The main problem I see with the way I have been doing it, which is the MFP way, is that some days I eat 1220 and then other days when I exercise I have to eat an extra 450-600 calories depending on my workout. I would rather have more of a stable amount of calories each day. I have a lot of trouble eating that many extra calories to the point I've eaten chips or cookies just to get calories. It seems better to eat the same amount every day whether or not I exercise. But I'm not sure I understand all of this. I've been on this site for quite awhile but I just started coming to the message boards.
  • wannatangle
    Options
    If your TDEE is 1700ish then you should be eating around 1500ish.

I know it sounds like a lot, but to put it into perspective, to have gained weight you must have been eating at over 1700 most days until you started this program.

So have a look at your diary, substitute full fat for low fat..add in some healthy calorie dense items like nuts and avocados and eat your 1500 cals.

Thanks. I'm gonna work on it.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    The main problem I see with the way I have been doing it, which is the MFP way, is that some days I eat 1220 and then other days when I exercise I have to eat an extra 450-600 calories depending on my workout. I would rather have more of a stable amount of calories each day. I have a lot of trouble eating that many extra calories to the point I've eaten chips or cookies just to get calories. It seems better to eat the same amount every day whether or not I exercise. But I'm not sure I understand all of this. I've been on this site for quite awhile but I just started coming to the message boards.

It can take a bit of juggling to get it right. I am of the 'set your activity level at lightly active/active and just eat the same calorie level everyday' mindset. It worked for me but it doesn't work for everyone. My weightloss was steady and I had no problems with trying to suddenly fit in more calories because I went for a walk.

Now I am maintaining I am still finding my ideal calories - I seem to still be losing a bit so up up I go.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I didn't lose any pounds off my squat deadlift or bench press, my military press did lose about 8lbs off my max though unfortunately. As long as you eat enough protein(I eat 1.3g/lb of LBM) and lift heavy you can stave off muscle loss on very low calorie diets

Unfortunately this means very little, tracking body composition is the only way to determine muscle loss. When you lose weight or muscle, you can still make your muscles more efficient. Now if you werent seeing huge increases in strength then its quite possible it's because of muscle loss. I peraonally was able to increase weight by 25%- 30% on each move.