Anyone Diabetic and trying to lose weight?

Options
Diabetic and trying to lose more weight any suggestions friend me, any advise welcome.

Replies

• Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My doc says i'm borderline diabetic.. but I think I am since it runs in my family.

Plus my weight doesn't help but I've made the decision to get healthy !!
  • Stogie40
    Stogie40 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm at the point where I'm on meds. But with my weight loss, I maybe getting off it soon. I've cut way down on carbs I keep it between, 30 and 40g, (or lower). I also avoid refined sugar. I find if I have a craving of sweets, there are some really great sugar free products. I adopted a healthy way of eating all around. That's the best thing to do. It's can suck, but after awhile it will suck less. If you have any other questions, message me and hopefully I can help. Good luck.
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am--MFP has been working pretty well for me. I've been doing low-moderate carbs (about 100ish net a day). Started using MFP in May (shortly after I was diagnosed) to keep track of the carbs and I've lost about 65 lbs since then. My a1c has dropped from 8.7 to 5.7. I think my success is because I've been consistent w/ my diet and exercise. I don't have the healthiest diet (my diary is open to friends), but it's a work in progress. Feel free to friend me if you like.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic have been for 9+ years and am losing weight, medications have been decreased recently hopefully one of these days they will be gone. You are more than welcome to friend Me.
  • ijavagypsy
    Options
    I am--MFP has been working pretty well for me. I've been doing low-moderate carbs (about 100ish net a day). Started using MFP in May (shortly after I was diagnosed) to keep track of the carbs and I've lost about 65 lbs since then. My a1c has dropped from 8.7 to 5.7. I think my success is because I've been consistent w/ my diet and exercise. I don't have the healthiest diet (my diary is open to friends), but it's a work in progress. Feel free to friend me if you like.
    That A1c is a very impressive figure! You go, honey!
  • Missdanicali
    Options
    I'm a type-1 diabetic. with an insulin pump :)
  • mityjoe67
    mityjoe67 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Most definitely, I have been a Diabetic, type 1 for 38 years now.. It can be done. :)
  • mityjoe67
    Options
    Great Job on your A1c, that is so Awesome to get it that low. I think the lowest I have gotten mine is 6.0.
  • mityjoe67
    Options

O.k. so I am still learning how to do this. hahahahaha.. Great Job on your A1c, that is so Awesome to get it that low. I think the lowest I have gotten mine is 6.0.
  • looking4au
    looking4au Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 8 yrs ago. With my weight loss I have managed to stop my oral medications and manage with diet and exercise. It can be done. For me a balanced, clean and healthy meal plan works the best for weight loss and blood sugar balance.
  • Poppet2909
    Poppet2909 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    My names Julie from Worthing (aged 50)
    I would love to make some new friends here. I was diagnosed last Tuesday so new' new' to the condition (I refuse to use the word disease) so I am going to use Myfitnesspal to help me count and hopefully lose some weight.
    Its a wake up call! I wondered why I felt like Poo for ages!
    Apart from a Hypo by my over zealous GP within 48hrs (scary) I'm now on a combi of Met and Glic tabs and its very early days so testing testing testing (poor little fingers) to find out what I should and shouldnt eat to much of (potatoes give an interesting count! lesson learned ha ha)
    Any tips and advise you have are most welcome.
    J
  • jamaicasunshine
    jamaicasunshine Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to the boards but have been using the app for 103 days now! 104 days ago I was diagnosed with Diabetes. My doctor wanted me on 3 needles a day but i begged her to let me try on my own first. My a1c at the time was 10.2, and fast was 17. Since that day I have been low carbing it/no refined sugar, and happy to say I just had my sugars read again at the 3 month mark and the a1c is down to 6.4 and fasting 4.9 with no insulin/medication!! :D I am looking for supportive friends and friends to support so feel free to add me :)
  • kawania
    kawania Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi, I'm new to this site, been on here now 5 days. I'm also diabetic and trying to lose weight, it is hard but as long as you have faith, and support, you (we) can make it happen. Encourage one another even if u don't know each other, so i have faith that we all will lose some pounds each week.. STAY ENCOURAGE!! HAVE GOOD WEEK!
  • DTorres2282
    Options
    NICE... Everybody its great to know There is fellow diabetics out there, I am a type one diabetic also, since i was 2 to be exact, I am shooting for the Fire Department, my biggest problem is i burn alot of calories playing basketball, but to lose weight from what i understand is after burning all that you are supposed to have protein, well protein is a diabetics enemy, do any of you have a good suggestion for this problem, and my A1C was in the high 10 now i am in the 7.0 range and have been for about 5 years, and all you diabetics are great keep up all the good work...
  • lauranell79
    lauranell79 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm a type-1 diabetic. with an insulin pump :)

me too! :) which pump? i'm minimed...LOVE LOVE LOVE it! much better than shots.
  • storywebber
    storywebber Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good morning. My husband and I are diabetic. He was diagnosed just last Wednesday with Type 1. We both are trying to lose weight. I have lost 20 lbs following Taste of Home Comfort Foods. But I do not know how this will play into the diabetes. I plan on watching the diabetes while using their cookbook and magazine to see if the two are compatible.

I don't know how to send a request to friend. But holler at me whenever you need. Betty Welch
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me so happy.

I just wanted to post in here to let you all know that as a non-diabetic I support all of you and this decision to lose weight/get healthy.

My little sister passed away at age 8 (14 years ago) due to undiagnosed type 1 diabetes. My 13 year old niece was diagnosed 3 years ago with type 1 and was recenlty put on a pump. Her diet is immaculate and she has her diabetes under control. I believe her A1c was 6 last time I checked. She is more responsible with her diabetes than some adults I know. I couldn't be more proud.

Currently, I am in the process of training an 11-year old girl who is obese and pre-diabetic (type 2). She has lost 10 lbs so far. It has been a joy to see her blossom and to see her really adapt to exercising and making healthy choices.

Kudos to you all! :flowerforyou:
  • lauranell79
    lauranell79 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me so happy.

I just wanted to post in here to let you all know that as a non-diabetic I support all of you and this decision to lose weight/get healthy.

My little sister passed away at age 8 (14 years ago) due to undiagnosed type 1 diabetes. My 13 year old niece was diagnosed 3 years ago with type 1 and was recenlty put on a pump. Her diet is immaculate and she has her diabetes under control. I believe her A1c was 6 last time I checked. She is more responsible with her diabetes than some adults I know. I couldn't be more proud.

Currently, I am in the process of training an 11-year old girl who is obese and pre-diabetic (type 2). She has lost 10 lbs so far. It has been a joy to see her blossom and to see her really adapt to exercising and making healthy choices.

Kudos to you all! :flowerforyou:

wow I'm so sorry to hear that about your sister. Too many stories like that.

That is awesome about your niece. Unfortunately, I wasn't that great about it when I was around her age. I just took control in the last 4 years and it has made a huge difference. Thank you so much for your words and support!
  • Jenna5598
    Options
    You are doing great work! It's sad to hear of children being obese. We need to set better examples!

I am trying to prevent diabetes. My first A1c reading was 6.4. 3 months later is was down to 5.4. So I must be doing something right. My Fitness Pal app sure puts things in perspective for me! It shows me where I need to cut back and what things I need to increase. It's only been a week but I can see that this is a very good thing.

I need a community to keep me going.:smile:
    jen
  • tvl0308
    tvl0308 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am border line diabetic and have been struggling with my weight for a while now. I go up and then down but reading all of your comments here has given me a different perspective here. That i can do this. 'Sometimes we need to be inspired by others
    to get where we need to be!! Thanks for all of your comments to inspire me!! I don't feel alone! :)