Protein shakes?

Options
What type of protein powder do you use? I have never used protein shakes, but my friend suggested it for breakfast. I am really new to this, but I want to go buy some tommorrow, so what brand, flavor, etc. I also don't want to spend a whole lot of money on it, and would like it to not tast too bad, haha. But I do know that you get what you pay for. Any suggestions?

Replies

• pixietwilight
    pixietwilight Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My family and I have tried and test this to exhaustion. Brand name: Designer Whey - only the Vanilla one and mix it with apple juice - I use half apple juice half water to eliminate calories. You can also use the instant apple juice from walmart and it is only 5 calories for 16 oz..
  • jdurham87
    jdurham87 Posts: 62
    Options
    I would go to a gnc store or something simular and look at the nutritional facts on several items. But as far as whey vs protein I prefer whey :) There's a good chart on this site that will show you the outcome values/percentages of what each contains:

http://www.build-muscle-and-burn-fat.com/soy-versus-whey-protein.html#Soy Versus Whey Conclusion

I use Nature's Best Low Carb Isopure (which you can get at GNC). If you only use 1 scoop it has 105 calories and 25 g of protein and 0g fat and 3g carbs! With a good percentage of vitamins and minerals! It is a little pricey though.

That's just what I think and feel is best for me, I'm sure a lot of other people have a different opinion.

Hope that helped in any way!
  • fitladyfawkes
    fitladyfawkes Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks everyone! This has really helped!!!:happy:
  • littlelisa24
    Options
    I use whey protien chocolate. It's pretty good. I like it better with milk then with water but i will drink it with both.
  • rvkirk
    rvkirk Posts: 37
    Options
    I use Boditronics, I think there Banana flavor is great. I try to have my shakes with a little added fibre, like husks, in it to help fill me up a little more. Your best bet is just to try a few flavors, often sore will have sample sachets to buy. So you can try them out without going to the expensive of buying a big tub.
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I use soya protein (in Vanilla flavour - goes with everything) as it has the least amount of carbs/sugar and the most protein.
    I don't buy the type for body building men, just simple soy/soya protein to add protein to diet from the health food store.
    I mix it with soya milk and a banana and any other fruit or yoghurt or cocoa powder and/or peanut butter in a smoothie maker or blender. Sometimes I even add an oatcake and little cinnamon to make it like a fruit pie tasting smoothie!! So many great ideas available.
    You can't tell it's not cows milk beause of all the other flavours and it has much more protein and less carbs.

This is the perfect thing to make the night before, store in fridge then have first thing in the morning before a run or gym session.
    Not too bulky and will provide your body with everything it needs - keeps me full for ages too.

You can experiement with chucking all sorts of things in the blender with it - I've never made anything that didn't turn out nice!
  • Utefootball2010
    Options
    I've been taking one type of protein for the past 4 years now... I focus a lot on weight training though... But the best in my opinion would be EAS WHEY PROTEIN and it comes in either vanilla or chocolate... Both are really really good...

The best place and cheapest I've found is SAMS CLUB... I buy a 5 gallon bag for only $30... It lasts usually 3-4 months...

1 scoop:

Calories 130g
    Carbs 6g (this is probably the main reason why I drink this protein because carbs are really low)
    fat 2.5g
    Protein 23 g
    Fiber 1 g

I ALWAYS TAKE IT WITH fat free milk and it's pretty darn good... Taking it with water is just plain nasty...

Anyways good luck with the decision...
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    BSN Syntha-6 is by far the best tasting protein shake out there from the many I have tried. It is not cheap but you did mention that we all get what we pay for. It's thin and smooth, not chalky like many others I've tried.
  • Karna6e
    Karna6e Posts: 57
    Options
    I was disappointed to find out that the one I use and almost all of them use artificial sweeteners. After I'm done with my current brand, I'm switching to Optimum Nutrition Natural.

Here's where I've found it for the lowest price.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Natural-Vanilla/dp/B000GIURM2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1268930805&sr=8-1
  • zcostilla
    zcostilla Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I only use the optimum nutrition Gold Standard Natural, but I'm leaning towards creating my own mix from the Protein Factory "http://proteinfactory.com/shop/home.php"
  • halfpint71
    halfpint71 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress Vanilla mixed with light soy milk and frozen peaches