Healthy foods for a job on the road??

Options
kaotik26
kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
So I'm starting a new job where I will be driving a lot. Pretty much like a truck driver. I want to avoid eating out at all costs!! I have found a recipe for a good energizing granola and of course going to take cherry tomatoes and berries and such, but does anyone else have anything they could share? Favorites, receipes or ideas? I don't want to get bored with my food!!

Replies

• EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL8ukivCjGCuTyR4v63ewQaYWSGdpMOMC5bEpYx4uasVPq3R0_dTMwsFqV3g
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I pack a cooler and take that with me. I usually have water, snacks (Fruit & Yogurt or Veggies & Dip or Nuts & Cheese) and lunch (soup or salad and some protein). If I am travelling I pack the same things but in bigger quantities and in a larger cooler.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I personally love cooking MUFFIN STYLE..

I mix eggs, peppers and cheese .. like you would an omelet and put them in a Muffin Pan to bake.. Eat them and store them for a day or two.. they'll hold up in the fridge.

Also I love mini meatloaves.. same thing.. mix and bake in a Muffin Pan. Great with a salad on the go!
  • MelanieSpicegurl
    MelanieSpicegurl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I personally love cooking MUFFIN STYLE..

I mix eggs, peppers and cheese .. like you would an omelet and put them in a Muffin Pan to bake.. Eat them and store them for a day or two.. they'll hold up in the fridge.

Also I love mini meatloaves.. same thing.. mix and bake in a Muffin Pan. Great with a salad on the go!

Awesome idea with the muffin pan .. would keep portions in check !!!! love it !

I do turkey /fat free swiss roll ups .. lay out the deli meat flat .. spread some hot mustard on it , then slap a fat free cheese slice in there and roll it up . .i make a few and keep them ready to grab in the fridge / cooler ..
  • erika613
    erika613 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I keep pouches of low-sodium tuna around when I have to travel. I'm ok eating it straight out of the pouch and it needs no refrigeration. If I'm able to have a cooler then I also keep apples, greek yogurt, and low fat string cheese.

My ex-husband used to go to Burning Man and would take ready-to-eat Indian Food like these ones:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kitchens-India-Ready-Dinner-Variety/dp/B002GQ6OEM/

They are high in sodium and some are healthier options than others, but might be something to pack so that you don't get bored. He would eat them right out of the package, no heating required (although I think most would taste better warmed up).

I know you said that you don't want to eat out, but in case you end up needing to, consider checking out www.healthydiningfinder.com to find healthy options that are close to you.

Wishing you good luck and much success in your new job!
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    High fiber crackers, cut veggies, hummus, tapenades, fresh fruits, nuts (portioned in snack bags).

Also, take a look at the "Salad In A Jar" topic posts and there are some awesome salad combos that they say (I've not tried myself yet) last a week in the fridge (cooler with ice). Stay hydrated too with non-caffeine drinks.
  • tlwells62
    tlwells62 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am a sales rep who drives all day long. My cooler is my lifeline. I pack yogurts, salads, veggies, fruit, etc.

Good luck and congrats on new job!!
  • amyj000
    amyj000 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

LOL ^ this
  • kaotik26
    Options

Lol well no ****!!:laugh:
  • kaotik26
    Options
    Looks awesome thanks for the ideas!!